Baylor's Secondary Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are you guys putting down for their question about special/unique experiences. It seems like they are asking for disadvantaged/non-traditional stuff. What are you putting down if you are not disadvantaged or non-traditional? Should we leave it blank?

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've been told, don't leave it blank...baylor feels everyone is unique in one way or another and wants to know how.

This is a great chance to show the Baylor adcomm more about your personality. You started this in the AMCAS essay, and now you should use this essay to fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle. You've had unique experiences in your life, even if to you they seem quite ordinary. Some brainstorming ideas to get you started:

* Complete the sentence: "I just wouldn't be me if it weren't for..." Then write about a person, place, or experience that has been crucial in making you who you are.

* Think about an idea that really excites or puzzles you -- something you turn over in your mind again and again. You could then write about a situation where this idea came up and you realized how important it was.

* Make a list of the personal experiences that have had the most meaning for you: travel, people, national or world events, obstacles or difficulties you overcame, books or classes that shaped your ideas. Then write about why you consider these things important (when you realized their importance, what have you learned from them, etc.).

I hope this helps you get started. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I struggled with Baylor's question also, but I decided to talk about my volunteer experience this summer. It has turned out to be really rewarding, but when I was writing my personal statement I had just started volunteering there. I'm guessing this counts as a "special experience."

I used this question to address my family background and how it has influenced my career goals.

- Focus