Baystate Medical center....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masreya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone do a rotation there that can shed some pros and cons about the medicine program. Seems to be a Cushy program but couldn't really tell that well.....any info appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi, I am a Tufts student doing a Neurology rotation out there now.. The teaching from the attendings I've met in both Neuro and IM is excellent, and I have not met any overtly malignant people (this is more than I can say of any of the other Tufts institutions I've rotated through). Workload and patient caps are among the most reasonable I've seen anywhere. Although the enthusiasm of the Chair of Medicine and the Assoc. PD are phenomenal (really really liked both of them, would love to have either as my attending OR as my personal physician), there were a few things that concerned me:

1)The new system where one can be called on to admit at any time looks like an accident waiting to happen IMO. Although it is nice that they try to distribute the patient load more evenly, it also means that if you happen to be lucky enough to be leaving at the end of a post-call day with a relatively low patient load, and your on-call residents cap early, guess what, you will be called right back in to admit at 5 pm or later. Doesn't seem so bad? Well, let's say that you and your 8 mo. preg. co-worker are in the same situation at 5 pm on multiple occasions; I can pretty much assure you that you will be the one to stay late every time. I actually discussed this with a friend of mine who is a res. there, and he agreed it can be a problem.

2)Interns do not usually attend AM report and those I talked to didn't really feel they were missing anything since there was plenty of teaching throughout the day anyway. That actually sounds somewhat reasonable to me, but if not your cup of tea, something to think about.

3)If you are married and can't wait to pass on your genes right away, this is a great option for you. Same if you are a grad-to-be of an Irish med school, where the PD does active recruiting and special interview days. I didn't really feel like I would fit in as a US grad who may not want marriage, kids, etc.; actually it was more of a feeling that the PD and some of the residents would not be fully comfortable with me than the other way around. My single resident friend here seems pretty lonely as well.

4)Have noticed some recent tension between residents and nurses in the ICU over the fact that residents reportedly have been expecting nurses to enter their personal orders in the new computer system, and nursing staff feels this is unreasonable (I have to say I've never heard of a place that didn't expect residents to put in their own orders). The nursing staff even posted a sign complaining about it in an area where patients and their families might see it, not a sign of good communication on either end, and I really hope this is an unusual situation. Not sure whether this is specific to the Med residents though.

I've posted on Baystate elsewhere, so feel free to take a look. I think this is a solid, often underrated program with a few kinks to work out. But, great potential and hard-to-beat attending teaching. good luck!

Thank you!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This used to be a good program. However, the institution has several issues currently. The leadership is corrupt and many doctors have lost licence to practice because of unprofessional behavior. I would not suggest going here in its current state.

I mean I would agree with the Irish med- school comment. The program does not find AMG residents and the program leadership has to fly to Ireland every year to recruit Irish grads. I have never heard of another US IM program that has to resort to flying to a foreign country to recruit residents. The Springfield area is pretty run down as well and you might run into trouble getting out of work at 6-7 pm in the evening. As such I would advise against training at Baystate.