BC College of Optometrists Withdraws Policy on NBEO/CSAO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UWOptom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interesting news:

On September 13, 2009, the BC College of Optometrists approved a policy that required the Canadian Standard Assessment in Optometry (CSAO) for new registrants. The exception was for practitioners who had passed the examination administered by the National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) and been in active practice for more than a year. At a College Board meeting on December 6, 2009, the new policy was withdrawn. The Registration Committee and College will now accept the NBEO examination as equivalent to the CSAO for all applicants. In light of portability of licence in Canada, there is the potential that new applicants who have passed the NBEO examination will be able to seek licensure in all provinces without passing the CSAO. The matter will be a topic of discussion at the Optometric Leaders’ Forum on January 29-30, 2010. Stay tuned.

The "portability of license" they refer to is the AIT (agreement on internal trade).

In fact, the jurisdiction of Quebec doesn't even require the passing of any license to practice (you need to graduate from UMontreal or an equivalent school), meaning you could technically just graduate from an OD school then register in Quebec, then use that registration to enter another province to work.

So what this means is the CSAO will probably become a thing of the past, as either the NBEO (in BC), or nothing at all (Quebec), plus a bit of administration, will allow you to work anywhere in Canada.

Members don't see this ad.

Definately a good move as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the NBEO FAR exceeds the CSAO exam. The CSAO exam still has questions from the days when pilocarpine was the drug of choice for glaucoma :cool:. I think a qualifying exam is a good thing bit I think the CSAO should be scrapped and all Waterloo/Montreal students should have to pass the NBEO instead.

The jurisdiction of Quebec requires that all optometry graduates from Universite de Montreal have passed their own exams and are licensed, and for all those who have graduated from another school of optometry to have successfully passed the CSAO. In addition, the applicant can only be fully registered if he or she passes the French Language Examination required for all working professionals in Quebec. If you have not passed it, you are given three chances and a time period in which you can attempt to pass it. After the time period, then you will not be able to practice there any longer.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean they have gotten rid of the 'one year of practice' clause that went with it? If so, I might as well just take the NBEO (which I have to anyways), get licensed in BC, and then transfer over to Ontario. I hope that's the case!

As it stands I think you'd still have to complete the CSAO for Ontario, but under AIT my guess is that it will change with BC now allowing NBEO.

I'm sure the stuffy Ontario college people will for sure drag their feet on it though...

So what's going on with the NBEO? Apparently there is going to be changes to it?

Wasn't there an injectibles trial or something? Is that still on?

I thought they were changing the structure to it, or did that already happen?

Does anyone have a link for this information? The BC college website hasn't posted the Dec 6th minutes of the meeting or any new release..

You new grads are lucky. I was frustrating having to take the CSAO when i already took all 3 parts of the NBEO. I mean is optometry so much different in the US and Canada?

I paid 3500 dollars to take an ancient examination - the NBEO was much more applicable to optometry these days. Also had to pay for flight, hotel and take the CSAO exam at Waterloo. Also the stress of not passing the exam (heard alot of nightmare stories of unfair proctors/testing questions) and the stress that the examination is only given twice per year - so if i failed i was screwed with no job and loan payments coming in (things went well for me - but there was always that small "what if")

The CSAO exam is just a cash grab. The administration of the test, website, and the test itself and overall experience was horrible. How the hell does 3500 dollars justify taking that exam. The same old questions are on the exams, and they only administer at one location.

I understand why the NBEO costs what it does (much less might i add) - you can see it in the quality of the tests, proctors, facilities etc.

As you can tell I still have not forgotten what I went through taking the CSAO - and never will.:mad: The CSAO can burn in hell!

the structure of pt I nbeo was changed last yr in march

the injectables trial is on for pt II this coming april, I believe it's only for select volunteer applicants (first come first serve) taking it in either Boston or Portland. it will not affect the score of volunteers for this yr since it is still in its trial phase

You new grads are lucky. I was frustrating having to take the CSAO when i already took all 3 parts of the NBEO. I mean is optometry so much different in the US and Canada?

I paid 3500 dollars to take an ancient examination - the NBEO was much more applicable to optometry these days. Also had to pay for flight, hotel and take the CSAO exam at Waterloo. Also the stress of not passing the exam (heard alot of nightmare stories of unfair proctors/testing questions) and the stress that the examination is only given twice per year - so if i failed i was screwed with no job and loan payments coming in (things went well for me - but there was always that small "what if")

The CSAO exam is just a cash grab. The administration of the test, website, and the test itself and overall experience was horrible. How the hell does 3500 dollars justify taking that exam. The same old questions are on the exams, and they only administer at one location.

I understand why the NBEO costs what it does (much less might i add) - you can see it in the quality of the tests, proctors, facilities etc.

As you can tell I still have not forgotten what I went through taking the CSAO - and never will.:mad: The CSAO can burn in hell!

X2

The CSAO was a joke. I took it in Montreal, in a small classroom. There was a computer at the front of the room and "proctor" was typing on his email for the first hour. It was EXTREMELY annoying, so I finally had to ask him to stop. My impressions of the exam/facilities were not good...very unprofessional.
The NBEO is a much higher quality exam.
The problem with optometry in Canada is the huge amount of dysfunction within Ontario/Waterloo optometry.

X2

The CSAO was a joke. I took it in Montreal, in a small classroom. There was a computer at the front of the room and "proctor" was typing on his email for the first hour. It was EXTREMELY annoying, so I finally had to ask him to stop. My impressions of the exam/facilities were not good...very unprofessional.
The NBEO is a much higher quality exam.
The problem with optometry in Canada is the huge amount of dysfunction within Ontario/Waterloo optometry.

How does the quality of facilities for the CSAO at the University of Montreal imply "dysfunction" regarding optometry at Ontario/Waterloo?