BC PAT & Orgo Averages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PredentalPrincess

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone...I'm completely freaking out because I can't seem to get above an 18 (sometimes get 17s) in Bootcamp for the Orgo section or above a 15 for BC in the PAT section. :(. I'm on my 6th subject test and plan to do the remaining 4 the rest of this week and the 2009 DAT on Monday of next week.

The rest of my BC averages are below:
GC 19
Bio 20
RC 22
QR 15

My exam is in a week and 3 days. Should I postpone? I'm scared to bomb the PAT section or orgo section.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried watching the datbootcamp organic chemistry lectures? I was scoring 18/19 after Chad's then concentrated hard with Mike's lectures. The key I found was the question repetition and learning the general mechanism to see common patterns. Make sure to pause and draw out your answer then hit play. I watched the vids at 1.5x/2x speed to save time. Ended up with a 24 in ochem in the Dat.

What does bootcamp say your weakness is?

No, I haven't watched the lectures for Mike just Chad. I do watch the video solutions for the problems after I've tried solving them again. Mind you, I have improved but I don't know if it's my mindset or what. If I look back at my old practice tests the areas where I'm struggling vary by test. The only one that has been consistent is acid base chemistry so I might watch Mike's for that I guess and see if I can improve. Do you think that I'm in trouble with the PAT section? How much higher did you score in general between BC and the real DAT?

BC showed me as around a 20/21 in pat but I was able to score a 22 in the exam. I downloaded an angle ranking app and would practice that whenever I was bored because it was my weakest section. I think there's also a hole punch app you can download. Both are free or under a dollar if I remember correctly.

If you don't feel like you will score 17+ on every subject I would post pone because that seems to be pretty important. Don't forget to practice QR! What I did was watch khan academy or organic chemistry tutor videos for the portions that you are weak on.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm also using destroyer. GC ranges from 19-21 so I'm less worried about that one but I need to fine tune Orgo and I'm not sure how much more I can raise it in one week

I would definitely postpone the exam. Your ochem scores prove that you are not ready. Why are you struggling in this section? Which sections do you find difficult... steriochemisry, nomenclature, reactions, etc?

Reactions: 1 users
Assuming you will score higher on all the other sections by 1-3 points, your qr is still very low. You need to postpone, why the rush.

I think postponing for 2-3 weeks or even a month will help you immensely.

You need to watch videos on QR as well, tackle your weakest areas to improve.

Right now, I watch Chad videos on topics and then I watch Mikes videos this method takes more time but it helps me understand way better. I just started less than week ago, so I don't know how my scores will be.

I'm struggling the most with reactions, acid bass and chair conformations. I think I'm going to watch Mike's videos for these sections tomorrow and take my next full length Wednesday to see if I have improved. Are scores typically higher on the real DAT? I need that Hail Mary lol

Assuming you will score higher on all the other sections by 1-3 points, your qr is still very low. You need to postpone, why the rush.

I think postponing for 2-3 weeks or even a month will help you immensely.

You need to watch videos on QR as well, tackle your weakest areas to improve.

Right now, I watch Chad videos on topics and then I watch Mikes videos this method takes more time but it helps me understand way better. I just started less than week ago, so I don't know how my scores will be.
I'm not sure if she will score 1-3 pts higher on each section. Don't fall for the trap. Don't ever assume that you will score higher on the DAT than on bootcamp. She might score 1-3 pts less.

I'm struggling the most with reactions, acid bass and chair conformations. I think I'm going to watch Mike's videos for these sections tomorrow and take my next full length Wednesday to see if I have improved. Are scores typically higher on the real DAT? I need that Hail Mary lol

Nope! If you go to the exam with this mentality. A reality check will be waiting for you at the prometric center.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if she will score 1-3 pts higher on each section. Don't fall for the trap. Don't ever assume that you will score higher on the DAT than on bootcamp. She might score 1-3 pts less.

Ugh that's so true. So I'm heading towards postponing. I had planned on making that decision upon taking the 2009 DAT but I've heard mixed feelings lately on that as well.

Ugh that's so true. So I'm heading towards postponing. I had planned on making that decision upon taking the 2009 DAT but I've heard mixed feelings lately on that as well.

I would also take the 2009 DAT and see if you improve. If you don't then go ahead and postpone! Finishing Destroyer OC and reviewing solutions carefully after having a foundation really helped me with the real OC. If you have any other questions, I just took it recently and my breakdowns in my signature. Some scores were higher than Bootcamp but this wasn't always true..

Reactions: 1 user
I would also take the 2009 DAT and see if you improve. If you don't then go ahead and postpone! Finishing Destroyer OC and reviewing solutions carefully after having a foundation really helped me with the real OC. If you have any other questions, I just took it recently and my breakdowns in my signature. Some scores were higher than Bootcamp but this wasn't always true..

Your breakdown is great! With the exception of the PAT and QR we have similar scores for the full lengths. May I ask how far apart the 2009 and full length test 3 and 4 were from each other? I just want to have an idea of how you improved from each. Thank you!

Your breakdown is great! With the exception of the PAT and QR we have similar scores for the full lengths. May I ask how far apart the 2009 and full length test 3 and 4 were from each other? I just want to have an idea of how you improved from each. Thank you!

Thanks! Full lengths 3 and 4 were two weeks from each other since 4 glitched on me one day (Bootcamp logged me out in the middle of my exam and didn't save the scores). I took the 2009 DAT a week after FL 4. Usually my full lengths were on a weekly basis so I could have time to learn material and absorb before

Thanks! Full lengths 3 and 4 were two weeks from each other since 4 glitched on me one day (Bootcamp logged me out in the middle of my exam and didn't save the scores). I took the 2009 DAT a week after FL 4. Usually my full lengths were on a weekly basis so I could have time to learn material and absorb before

Do you have any tips for the PAT section? Did you build to that score quickly or did you struggle? I've done the PAT training game often but generators only couple of times and I'm just starting CPD. I would honestly be happy with a 17 in this section to tell you the truth. I just got my timing down today for the first time I was able to keep my composure. Just curious to see if you have any other suggestions.

Do you have any tips for the PAT section? Did you build to that score quickly or did you struggle? I've done the PAT training game often but generators only couple of times and I'm just starting CPD. I would honestly be happy with a 17 in this section to tell you the truth. I just got my timing down today for the first time I was able to keep my composure. Just curious to see if you have any other suggestions.

Well I didn't practice every day (i'm a nub) but it's recommended that you do PAT generators whenever you're free (~10 to 15 minutes per day)! When I was learning how to do all of them, I felt that the generators were completely necessary. However, after I got the hang of it, I started doing them less and focused on the sciences. For me, practice exams (Bootcamp or ADA) also helped a lot with timing and accuracy. My strategy for every test, including the real one, was to knock the fast sections out as quickly as possible (e.g. angle ranking, hole punching, cube counting) and go back to wrestle my way through patterns, keyholes, and TFE. This worked for me so I just kept at it. Getting practice and having a strategy helped me slowly move up from a an initial Bootcamp score of 16.

how many times have you been through destroyer?

I'm only going to have time to go through it once. I'm almost done and test day is around the corner. I took extensive notes for each question and looked up more info rather than just focus on the question I instead focused on topics. That's how I was able to bring GC up into 19s and 20s. I actually feel ok with destroyer Orgo but as soon as I do BC I'm stuck with the freaking 18! I'm just going to focus my attention to PAT and OC now and see what happens.

Well I didn't practice every day (i'm a nub) but it's recommended that you do PAT generators whenever you're free (~10 to 15 minutes per day)! When I was learning how to do all of them, I felt that the generators were completely necessary. However, after I got the hang of it, I started doing them less and focused on the sciences. For me, practice exams (Bootcamp or ADA) also helped a lot with timing and accuracy. My strategy for every test, including the real one, was to knock the fast sections out as quickly as possible (e.g. angle ranking, hole punching, cube counting) and go back to wrestle my way through patterns, keyholes, and TFE. This worked for me so I just kept at it. Getting practice and having a strategy helped me slowly move up from a an initial Bootcamp score of 16.

Thank you so much for all your help. Definitely makes me feel better! I've only been studying since the end of March because of school and work and lost a couple of weeks to finals so I feel like there is definitely room for improvement and I'm willing to postpone a couple weeks more if 2009 doesn't go 18+ for each section but I also don't want to apply really late but thanks for the advice and encouragement. I appreciate that better than the scare tactics

I agree with you, there is always the possibility to score lower on the real thing because of anxiety. I was trying to make a point even if her score is higher, her qr was still gonna be 17 or 18 which is still kinda low. That is why I encouraged her to postpone and get better in QR.

I agree with you, there is always the possibility to score lower on the real thing because of anxiety. I was trying to make a point even if her score is higher, her qr was still gonna be 17 or 18 which is still kinda low. That is why I encouraged her to postpone and get better in QR.
I see but it's not the QR score that should be worrying her, it's the Ochem score that is alarming. Low Ochem scores mean a low TS score. QR... ehh I hear many schools don't really care about.

Reactions: 2 users
I see but it's not the QR score that should be worrying her, it's the Ochem score that is alarming. Low Ochem scores mean a low TS score. QR... ehh I hear many schools don't really care about.

I will be working on it and report back. I have faith in myself but if I have to postpone I will. I appreciate all of the feedback I have received. Thank you! I'm the first one in my family to even obtain a Bachelor's so I'm trying my best. I obviously want to give the best first impression.

I will be working on it and report back. I have faith in myself but if I have to postpone I will. I appreciate all of the feedback I have received. Thank you! I'm the first one in my family to even obtain a Bachelor's so I'm trying my best. I obviously want to give the best first impression.

Wow, awesome. I am so proud of you and I know you can do it!
Don't worry about how the others react to your achievements, what matter in the end is you.
By the way being the first to finish a BA in your family will help you when you apply, so don't forget to mention it in your personal statement.

Wow, awesome. I am so proud of you and I know you can do it!
Don't worry about how the others react to your achievements, what matter in the end is you.
By the way being the first to finish a BA in your family will help you when you apply, so don't forget to mention it in your personal statement.

Thank you for your words of encouragement, they mean a lot! I have mentioned my situation in my personal statement. I haven't had an easy journey but I have enjoyed it and that's what counts. There isn't a career out there that makes me feel the way dentistry does and I'm going to do what I can to make it happen.

I wanted to update you guys. Finished destroyer and watched Mike's Videos for the sections I had been struggling with for Orgo and I've officially been pulling 19-20s. Thank you all for your help!

when are you planning on taking the dat now?

I took it today! Ignore my QR. my computer froze halfway and o freaked. Had to change computers and I didn't lose my time but needless to say, I was frazzled and done. Funny how life works...I thought OC would be my lowest and the reason I started this thread.
ImageUploadedBySDN1496874084.744890.jpg

Reactions: 6 users
I took it today! Ignore my QR. my computer froze halfway and o freaked. Had to change computers and I didn't lose my time but needless to say, I was frazzled and done. Funny how life works...I thought OC would be my lowest and the reason I started this thread. View attachment 219972

Congratulations!

I took it today! Ignore my QR. my computer froze halfway and o freaked. Had to change computers and I didn't lose my time but needless to say, I was frazzled and done. Funny how life works...I thought OC would be my lowest and the reason I started this thread. View attachment 219972

Woah. Amazing!! I saw your previous posts that you were struggling. Thats me right now. Any advice?

Wow!! awesome scores!! great improvement! Was QR hard?

Woah. Amazing!! I saw your previous posts that you were struggling. Thats me right now. Any advice?

I have tons lol. I pretty much struggled through this whole thing so the first thing I would say is to trust the struggle. You don't want to beat yourself up but do not get too confident. I had a limited amount of time and I only went through destroyer once. If you want that 22+ going through destroyer more than once is probably your best bet. Make sure you LEARN material first before practicing. When you see yourself sucking in one section, stop and reset how you're approaching that section. This thread reminded me of that. Just because I was a few days away from taking my test, did not mean I should forget that I have the opportunity to still go back and internalize something I'm struggling with instead of continuing on struggling. You'll be surprised what your brain can do during crunch time. I did Chad's videos and then used Mike's for Orgo last minute for what I was struggling with and honestly if I had the time I would have done both. PAT...what can I tell you. Never broke a 16 on BC and ended up with an 18 don't even know how that happened but it was great prep the small amount I did do. CDP is outdated in my opinion. I enjoy reading research articles. I'm subscribed to Nature and Scientific American on Facebook so I see them in the midst of my other less serious content. Also recommend the WSJ. I made notebooks and notebooks of my notes every time I would get to topics I didn't know. Don't just focus on the question. For example, if you get a bio question about diaphysis wrong, don't just learn what diaphysis is, go over bones since you clearly didn't have a good baseline. Most importantly if you make a lot of notes, review them periodically otherwise, it's a complete waste of time. They make good light reading before test day. Oh and relax the day before. Sounds stupid but seriously do it.

Wow!! awesome scores!! great improvement! Was QR hard?

It was for me because of the issue I had in the middle with my computer freezing and I wasn't sure if would have to take the exam over. Imagine my anxiety but I honestly found that a lot of it was doable if you study. They are definitely phasing out trig and geometry, I only got like one question. Lots of comparison questions.

Were orgo and gen chem more conceptual or math problems? Also I heard quantitive reasoning has gotten quite a bit difficult, did you feel the same way?

Also, how were you scoring on bootcamp for each of the sections?

CONGRATS!!!! Your scores are awesome and I definitely would have just spent the rest of the QR section crying so good for you!!!

Were orgo and gen chem more conceptual or math problems? Also I heard quantitive reasoning has gotten quite a bit difficult, did you feel the same way?

Also, how were you scoring on bootcamp for each of the sections?

Honestly, I didn't study QR. I've been doing full-time school and I work. I started studying without less interruptions in May. I think it is doable if you have the time to study for it. Chem was definitely more conceptual. My bootcamp averages are written on my original post on this thread.

Last edited:
I have tons lol. I pretty much struggled through this whole thing so the first thing I would say is to trust the struggle. You don't want to beat yourself up but do not get too confident. I had a limited amount of time and I only went through destroyer once. If you want that 22+ going through destroyer more than once is probably your best bet. Make sure you LEARN material first before practicing. When you see yourself sucking in one section, stop and reset how you're approaching that section. This thread reminded me of that. Just because I was a few days away from taking my test, did not mean I should forget that I have the opportunity to still go back and internalize something I'm struggling with instead of continuing on struggling. You'll be surprised what your brain can do during crunch time. I did Chad's videos and then used Mike's for Orgo last minute for what I was struggling with and honestly if I had the time I would have done both. PAT...what can I tell you. Never broke a 16 on BC and ended up with an 18 don't even know how that happened but it was great prep the small amount I did do. CDP is outdated in my opinion. I enjoy reading research articles. I'm subscribed to Nature and Scientific American on Facebook so I see them in the midst of my other less serious content. Also recommend the WSJ. I made notebooks and notebooks of my notes every time I would get to topics I didn't know. Don't just focus on the question. For example, if you get a bio question about diaphysis wrong, don't just learn what diaphysis is, go over bones since you clearly didn't have a good baseline. Most importantly if you make a lot of notes, review them periodically otherwise, it's a complete waste of time. They make good light reading before test day. Oh and relax the day before. Sounds stupid but seriously do it.

thank you. I am not looking for 22+ ... I would be more than happy with a 20 to be honest. I have another two weeks to go... I'm getting 16,17,18s on ochem and rest averaging 17-24 [20's in bio] you think I'll be okay in those two weeks to take it?

thank you. I am not looking for 22+ ... I would be more than happy with a 20 to be honest. I have another two weeks to go... I'm getting 16,17,18s on ochem and rest averaging 17-24 [20's in bio] you think I'll be okay in those two weeks to take it?

I'm not a professional but I would say you should be ready in 2 weeks if you take the 2009 DAT and are happy with the scores you receive! Mind you, for the 2009 DAT I got a 20 bio/20 GC/19 OC/16 PAT/17 RC, so clearly I did better on the real test but it was pretty close. That is your best bet.

Congratulations, great science scores, and awesome RC score. It's so sad that a mistake from the center cost you dearly on the QR.
Now I am scared that would happen to me too!

What was your strategy for the RC?
What do you think about the QR questions compared to BC?

Congratulations, great science scores, and awesome RC score. It's so sad that a mistake from the center cost you dearly on the QR.
Now I am scared that would happen to me too!

What was your strategy for the RC?
What do you think about the QR questions compared to BC?

I read a lot, so I actually read my passages and just took notes as I read. I'm so traumatized by the BC tone questions that I was afraid to miss a couple questions on tone, if I would search and destroy. I used the same method each and every time. I think that's the key also. I would read about people trying something new on test day and my heart would just speed up from anxiety. Also, its endurance if you choose to actually read the passages. They throw in like a 21 paragraph one at the front and I thought that one was the most annoying one but just plow through it and then you get the short ones. I would say watch your time. Split the 60 min. within those three passages as best as possible. Don't forget marking is important in the RC section too. If you move quickly, you can come to 4 or 5 Qs at the end to triple check your answer.

Oh and for math I would say BC is pretty spot on. I didn't get that much probably as you see on BC. Quantitative comparison questions definitely spot on. I would say if you score well on BC you'll kill the actual DAT for QR.