BCaba certification or MA in Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomethingTangible

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a behavioral interventionist currently working for Easter Seals and am trying to decide where I want to move on from here. What had initially prompted me to get my BA in psychology was learning about various diagnoses and therapeutic treatments, and while I enjoy ABA, I don't want to be stuck in the autism intervention field for the rest of my career.

The company I work is offering a hybrid program through Florida Institute of Technology where you can get your Master's in ABA and get the BCBA certification. I don't want to get my master's in ABA but I am tempted to get my BCaba certification. My company is offering to pay for part of it and I would be able to become a program manager with the certification.
Right now, I'm basically trying to decide whether it would be a better career move if I got the BCaba certification, or if I should just focus more on going back to grad school to get my Master's in Clinical Psych. I know where my interest lie, but I also know that there's reasonable job stability in the field of ABA.
Any opinion or perspective you can offer will help, I've been feeling on the fence about this for a while.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What were you hoping to do with your masters in clinical psych that the ABA couldn't accomplish? I'm not familiar with the ABA so I'm just trying to figure out what doors the former would open. From what I'm given to understand, unless you are trying to move on to a Clinical PhD (and are unable to get in due to whatever reason: poor match, lack of research, subpar GPA), the masters in clinical psych is not very beneficial. There are a handful of masters level mental health routes you could take (e.g., social work, licensed counselor, marriage and family therapy), have you considered any of these yet?