BCBS paneling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EPPP123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finally officially licensed in my state and I want to apply for paneling through BCBS but I am finding a stumbling block with the application process...it asks for a Tax ID number. If I want to apply as an independent practitioner (not as part of a group practice, agency, etc.) do I need to create a business/LLC and then use that tax number to apply? Can individuals use some private tax ID number? I am sure that I am missing something here because it seems like it should not be as complicated a process as I am making it out to be. Any help appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am finally officially licensed in my state and I want to apply for paneling through BCBS but I am finding a stumbling block with the application process...it asks for a Tax ID number. If I want to apply as an independent practitioner (not as part of a group practice, agency, etc.) do I need to create a business/LLC and then use that tax number to apply? Can individuals use some private tax ID number? I am sure that I am missing something here because it seems like it should not be as complicated a process as I am making it out to be. Any help appreciated.

If you are doing PP, you really need an LLC/PLLC. For a wide variety of reasons.

You can use your SSN or you can file a request for an EIN/Tax ID number from the IRS. I would highly encourage the latter. IME, it was surprisingly fast.

You could also create an LLC, file it with your state, and then request a tax ID from the IRS.

In many states, the LLC only protects the ancillary staff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say congratulations!!

I used zen business when I created my llc. I know you can do it yourself but they were reasonably priced and it only took a couple days.

In many states, the LLC only protects the ancillary staff.

I thought the big issue was protection from personal injury (e.g., slip and fall at your office). At least in some instances your personal assets are protected if your business is in LLC or other. However, if it's personal malpractice related to your work, your protections are limited.

To clarify (to the extent that it is relevant), I currently work for a group private practice and will be applying to be paneled as a part of that practice (using their EIN). I also want to apply to be paneled independently so that I there was ever a situation in which I was no longer employed by this practice, I would still be paneled individually. It is the latter application that I am currently stumped by.

I thought the big issue was protection from personal injury (e.g., slip and fall at your office). At least in some instances your personal assets are protected if your business is in LLC or other. However, if it's personal malpractice related to your work, your protections are limited.

I wasn't aware of the personal injury stuff, but that makes sense. The Trust has insurance to cover office injuries and like.