BCPM course ambiguities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meowkat444

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey... quick question. These are courses that I would really *like* to list a BCPM, but I'm not totally sure. Thoughts?

Psych: Statistics (pretty sure this is OK, based on other posts)
CS: Intro to Computer Science (Probably not? But it was a math/proof/theory course, not a programming course. Anyone gotten this one through?)
CS: Computational Vision and Biological Perception (Currently I think yes, it would count)

I took a course on Autism and Associated Developmental Disorders in the psych dpt. That's a no? I got an A in it, and I would love to count it, but...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

Psych: Statistics (pretty sure this is OK, based on other posts)

Depends on who reviews your application. A bunch have gotten it through, some haven't.

CS: Intro to Computer Science (Probably not? But it was a math/proof/theory course, not a programming course. Anyone gotten this one through?)

I'm almost 100% certain they'll change that to non-BCPM. The course is not only listed as a comp sci course, but it's explicitly stated as "Introduction to Computer Science". I wouldn't bother.

CS: Computational Vision and Biological Perception (Currently I think yes, it would count)

I don't think it would.

I took a course on Autism and Associated Developmental Disorders in the psych dpt. That's a no? I got an A in it, and I would love to count it, but...

But it's clearly a Psychology course -- not only by course number, but the title implies it's close to Developmental Psychology. Don't bother.

Best of luck,
-z

None of this matters, put what you honestly think it is and when you get verified if AMCAS disagrees they will change it. You don't decide whats BCMP - they do.

Members don't see this ad :)
But how bad does it look if they have to change a course for you? I mean, obviously, it looks bad if they have to change several courses, but what about just one course? There is one course that I want to count as BCPM because it was very quantitative, though from the title, it may not seem it. I asked the professor and he agreed that it was appropriate to list it as a math class, especially sine statistics counts, but I don't want to get in trouble, have my app delayed, etc. I am okay if they change it, as long as it isn't a red flag or something to have one class changed.

But how bad does it look if they have to change a course for you? I mean, obviously, it looks bad if they have to change several courses, but what about just one course? There is one course that I want to count as BCPM because it was very quantitative, though from the title, it may not seem it. I asked the professor and he agreed that it was appropriate to list it as a math class, especially sine statistics counts, but I don't want to get in trouble, have my app delayed, etc. I am okay if they change it, as long as it isn't a red flag or something to have one class changed.

I can't imagine a couple of classes beign a problem, although the comp sci and the last psych one I wouldn't even bother - no way those will go through.

But 2 changes? Thats not going to matter - the school doesn't even know what AMCAS changed. I had like 8 changes on mine and I still don't know what they changed, and it doesn't matter - sometimes what they want is a little different than what you put things will be changed no matter what, I doubt anyone has ever gotten their AMCAS back with no changes at all.

yeah I'm worried about that too. I took 2 psych stats and those would really help mine. Should I just put it and see if they change it? and like the poster said if they do change it, does that hurt me in any way?

I, too, would worry that AMCAS would delay my app, ask for more information from the school about the class, etc.

Is "stats" listed in the course name, and on your transcript? If yes, I would put it down.

Your other examples are pretty shaky in my mind...

good points, and with what you said, i will not list the com sci or autism course but will try the stats and vision courses. Thanks for the advice!

I can't imagine a couple of classes beign a problem, although the comp sci and the last psych one I wouldn't even bother - no way those will go through.

But 2 changes? Thats not going to matter - the school doesn't even know what AMCAS changed. I had like 8 changes on mine and I still don't know what they changed, and it doesn't matter - sometimes what they want is a little different than what you put things will be changed no matter what, I doubt anyone has ever gotten their AMCAS back with no changes at all.

For the psych, heres an answer from a UC Berkeley Pre-med Counselor:

Does Psych 101 (Statistics for Psych) count under the science GPA of the AMCAS application? The class is largely math driven, and has little to do with psychology or any other social science for that matter.

You get to "self report" your coursework completed since you earned your high school diploma when you complete the academic history portion of the on line AMCAS. You classify all of your coursework into one of the following categories: B=biology; C=chemistry; P=physics; M=math or AO=all other See the AMCAS instructions at http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrevised.pdf, it looks like the info starting at page 44 or for you. Check out that list and then make a good judgment call. The AMCAS people will check your transcripts and your on line information together as part of the verifying process. The general wisdom is that if you and your instructor can make a case that this is a bio, physics, chem or math course, then give it the BCPM designation. Sounds like you should classify your psych 101 as math.

I'm still just taking pre-med courses as a post bacc. However, I'm trying to calculate where I stand based on my undergrad. I'm tinkering with a GPA calculator. How would med schools calculate courses like "public health nutrition" (nutrition class just offered through SPH rather than the undergraduate level), "Personal and Community Health," "HIV/AIDS" or "Drug and Alcohol Abuse" that were also taken through the SPH (School of Public Health). Are those "science" or "non-science." Also, what about economics... "math" or "non-math?"