The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hey y'all

Final grades are in and I have made a C in ochem I. However, that may be a mistake because my professor is looking into it. That would be my 3rd C (C in algebra and C in calc I). I am currently a sophomore biology major but I am thinking of changing to psychology for a variety of reasons (relative difficulty of coursework is not one of them). My concern is that these three Cs may have taken a serious toll on my Science GPA and if I switch to psychology I may not have many more courses to carry that up aside from my two remaining pre requisites, ochem II and physics II. I'm interested in the biopsychology focus, so that may give me a few extra courses like neuroscience or physiology but I'm not sure. My advisor can help me there. I'm not really asking a clear cut question, but what do y'all think about a major change which may have the effect of keeping my sGPA (potentially) in a bad place? Thanks!

Also, if there are any psych majors with biological emphasis, I would love to hear from you about the major.

No Limits

I was told there'd be Cookies
Nov 3, 2013
Schrödinger's Box
Status
Medical Student
Hey y'all

Final grades are in and I have made a C in ochem I. However, that may be a mistake because my professor is looking into it. That would be my 3rd C (C in algebra and C in calc I). I am currently a sophomore biology major but I am thinking of changing to psychology for a variety of reasons (relative difficulty of coursework is not one of them). My concern is that these three Cs may have taken a serious toll on my Science GPA and if I switch to psychology I may not have many more courses to carry that up aside from my two remaining pre requisites, ochem II and physics II. I'm interested in the biopsychology focus, so that may give me a few extra courses like neuroscience or physiology but I'm not sure. My advisor can help me there. I'm not really asking a clear cut question, but what do y'all think about a major change which may have the effect of keeping my sGPA (potentially) in a bad place? Thanks!

Also, if there are any psych majors with biological emphasis, I would love to hear from you about the major.
If you have any free electives just take some upper division science courses. Just make sure you can handle it

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It's not a question of whether or not I can handle the coursework, it's a matter of time, but I hadn't taken electives into consideration. Thanks!

No Limits

Nov 3, 2013
Schrödinger's Box
Status
Medical Student
It's not a question of whether or not I can handle the coursework, it's a matter of time, but I hadn't taken electives into consideration. Thanks!
Lol, gotcha but what I meant is just get A's in those electives. I'm sure you can handle it (meaning passing) but for GPA repair A's help the most. Someone who may not be to great in math should probably not take physical chemistry or Quantitative Analytical chem for GPA repair. However, I'm not sure what your actual science GPA is. Either way, best of luck!

Reactions: BrainsIsCool
Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
Someone who may not be to great in math should probably not take physical chemistry or Quantitative Analytical chem for GPA repair. However, I'm not sure what your actual science GPA is. Either way, best of luck!
This.

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hey y'all. This is my second post concerning this today, but I need some input.

I just calculated my cGPA after this semester and it went from a 3.43 to a 3.35 due to a C in my 4 hour Ochem class. I had calculated my cGPA for when I was going to apply and it would have been (allowing for a few Bs) a 3.69, but with this C, the best I can hope for is a 3.62 (assuming all As from here on out). Also, I believe my sGPA is a 2.97 right now. I can get it up to a 3.30 by the time I apply. That is what I am concerned about. What kind of disadvantage am I at with these kind of numbers being the maximum I can attain by the time I apply in the Summer of 2015?

An overview of myself:
Biology Major--2nd semester sophomore (however, I was duel enrolled for 1.5 years in high school)
I am considering changing my major to biopsychology due to interest but I am concerned that this will leave my BCPM GPA lower than if I had more upper division from my Biology major.

150+ hours and counting at a free clinic (managing the office and lab)
Aikido 4 hours a week
Wind Symphony Clarinetist starting next semester
Science tutor to underserved high school student starting next semester
Clarinetist at my church (700+ hours over 5 years)
No shadowing yet; I hope to get some over the break
No research yet, either; I'm not particularly interested in bench work

What do y'all think?

kevin2400

7+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I was in a similar position as you, except I was an engineer before I got a couple of C's and wanted to switch my major. My undergrad has a psychobiology major, which I switched to I think the end of my sophomore year. Basically how it was structured was lower division courses consisted of all the science classes almost identical to all biology majors, while upper division courses (usually junior+senior years) were almost all psychology. Granted, taking almost all non science psychology classes upper div compared to so many science classes as a freshman and sophomore, I faced the same situation, since the classes I did bad in were my lower div science classes, and I was worried I wouldn't be able to raise it with a lack of upper div science classes.

Here's my advice and what I did:
I don't know about your school, but I believe in most schools, psych is a pretty flexible major in terms of required number of classes. For example, I know a lot of people who graduated a quarter or even a year early if they don't take any extra classes or pick up another major or minor. For myself, even after switching majors from engineering, I was on track to graduate in four years taking 3 classes a quarter (which is not bad at all). So basically, I crammed in as many extra science classes as possible(even if they didn't count toward my major), and took 4 or 5 classes a quarter every quarter (3 of which were usually for my major, 1 science class outside my major). I took classes outside my department like microbio and physiology, and all the psych electives, I took all the science-y ones (like behavioral neuroscience, cognitive neuro, etc) which even though were psych classes, counted toward my BCPM gpa. Make sure you do your research on which classes to take and really study hard for them. Some upper div science classes outside your major are NOT easy.

So long story short, If you're a psych major, it is still possible to raise your bcpm by taking extra classes outside your major....unless your school has a lot of required classes for your psych degree, which would be unusual.

Apr 12, 2012
Earth
Status
Non-Student
Hey y'all

I'm not applying until next cycle so I cannot speak from first hand experience, but several of my undergraduate colleagues majored in psychology and took psychobiology and advanced classes on the neural basis of behavior, counting them all as BCPM. Having enrolled in some of the classes myself, I can say that the classes were heavy in biology and were just as rigorous as my upper division biology and chemistry work. To my knowledge, the designation of these classes as BCMP was never challenged.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I'm a psych major. I've taken two psych courses that had strong biological foci (sensation & perception, and behavioral neuroscience), and in addition to the standard med school prereq's, I've taken physiology, genetics, and biochem. Overall I liked the psych major. I think a lot of premeds, at least at my school, default to bio without considering that it's a degree in general biology, which entails broad study of topics that might not interest the typical premed. With a choice of major made more out of interest, the required courses could more completely reflect one's interests. None of the content-based courses I've taken (e.g. developmental psych) were things that I wasn't interested in, which is nice.

I'm not sure how to advise you as far as GPA prospects.

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the replies y'all! I'm not even certain if my GPAs are that bad because our degree works system is currently down and I just calculated them off a website. I'll be sure to get with my advisor soon and figure out how many sciences I can take in a psych major. One reason I want to switch is because a psych major is immediately applicable whereas a bio major only really has a set of knowledge, not so much a set of skills. Greater level of problem solving and critical thinking in psych too. Thanks again.

Jul 14, 2012
Status
Psychology Student
Psych major here. Made 2 C's (bio and orgo). Got accepted.

Just make sure you take psych classes that can be counted towards science gpa (neuroscience and cognitive mainly) and take some bio classes as electives (anatomy, genetics, etc)

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Psych major here. Made 2 C's (bio and orgo). Got accepted.

Just make sure you take psych classes that can be counted towards science gpa (neuroscience and cognitive mainly) and take some bio classes as electives (anatomy, genetics, etc)
Yep. I have taken genetics this semester and did quite well. I'm great at biology (straight As and I love science) but the information is so broad and I am mostly interested in the brain, so biopsychology sounds like the right path to take.

Reactions: Zelda840
Oct 19, 2013
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm a Neuroscience major and have taken Intro to Neuro, Behavioral Neuro, Hormones & Behavior, and Molecular Bio for my program. The main reason I switched from Bio to Neuro is that I just couldn't stand the thought of whole classes about fungi, flora of the great plains, etc. I'm not sure if Neuroscience classes count for BCMP or not, since I applied before I was done with those classes. I would think they would be, as they seem closer to biology classes than social sciences to me.

QuiteAConundrum

5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2011
Philly
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey y'all
Hey there! Don't give up hope quite yet, there's plenty of time to repair if you take a good number of BCPM classes.

I'm a biopsych major and will say that although I love this major, it can be tricky in terms of GPA.

I'd advise switching to it if you want to do a cGPA repair, but many classes that blend the two disciplines that should count for BCPM in your mind may not in AMCAS's.

I had several neuroscience courses that, although scientific in nature, were listed as "PSYC" on my transcript (hence didn't count towards BCPM). Something to look into before making the jump.

Good luck!

Sep 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Any neuroscience classes you take count towards your BCPM, or at least the did for me. But I think it might depend on the department offering it. I believe my Biological Basis of Behavior course didn't count as the psych department offered it where as my Intro to Neuroanatamoy course did as it was by the neuroscience department. So just make sure if you take biology based psych classes to pay attention to the department offering it.

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hey there! Don't give up hope quite yet, there's plenty of time to repair if you take a good number of BCPM classes.

I'm a biopsych major and will say that although I love this major, it can be tricky in terms of GPA.

I'd advise switching to it if you want to do a cGPA repair, but many classes that blend the two disciplines that should count for BCPM in your mind may not in AMCAS's.

I had several neuroscience courses that, although scientific in nature, were listed as "PSYC" on my transcript (hence didn't count towards BCPM). Something to look into before making the jump.

Good luck!
For something to be counted as BCPM does the course prefix have to be BIOL, CHEM, PHSY or MATH (or any variation thereof)? Most of the upper division in the psych major, even on biopsychology, appear to be PSYC courses.

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
For something to be counted as BCPM does the course prefix have to be BIOL, CHEM, PHSY or MATH (or any variation thereof)? Most of the upper division in the psych major, even on biopsychology, appear to be PSYC courses.
The classification is based on course content, so if you take a course with a PSYC prefix but the majority of the course is science content, you are justified in marking it as a contributor to your BCPM GPA on AMCAS.

Reactions: silleme

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Your problem is that for medical school admissions, it's a seller's market. They can afford to ignore otherwise quality applicants.

My advice is to take it on the chin and try an app cycle.

Invest in the MSAR and apply strategically, matching your numbers to particular school's median numbers.

DO programs will be more forgiving of the Cs especially if you retake the C courses for a higher grande. Only the latter will count.

Hey y'all. This is my second post concerning this today, but I need some input.

I just calculated my cGPA after this semester and it went from a 3.43 to a 3.35 due to a C in my 4 hour Ochem class. I had calculated my cGPA for when I was going to apply and it would have been (allowing for a few Bs) a 3.69, but with this C, the best I can hope for is a 3.62 (assuming all As from here on out). Also, I believe my sGPA is a 2.97 right now. I can get it up to a 3.30 by the time I apply. That is what I am concerned about. What kind of disadvantage am I at with these kind of numbers being the maximum I can attain by the time I apply in the Summer of 2015?

An overview of myself:
Biology Major--2nd semester sophomore (however, I was duel enrolled for 1.5 years in high school)
I am considering changing my major to biopsychology due to interest but I am concerned that this will leave my BCPM GPA lower than if I had more upper division from my Biology major.

150+ hours and counting at a free clinic (managing the office and lab)
Aikido 4 hours a week
Wind Symphony Clarinetist starting next semester
Science tutor to underserved high school student starting next semester
Clarinetist at my church (700+ hours over 5 years)
No shadowing yet; I hope to get some over the break
No research yet, either; I'm not particularly interested in bench work

What do y'all think?

Aug 8, 2013
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
It is also very painless to get courses reclassified. All my neuro courses were classified as Biology but I wanted one of the courses to count as Physics so all I had to do was send a request along with the link to the course description - AMCAS changed the classification within 2 days after initial verification.

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Thanks y'all. I'm meeting with my advisor today to confirm my cGPA and sGPA and to figure out how much overlap a psych major with a biopsychology focus has with upper division biology courses. A 3.4 sGPA by the time I apply may not be that bad.

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
It's official. My cGPA is sitting at a 3.35 and my sGPA is a straight 3.0. So far, I have 70 hours. If I make straight As next semester (15 hours), I can have a 3.46 cGPA. I am still very attracted to the psychology major, though. My concern is that I won't have enough science classes by the time I apply because if I change before the next semester I would have ochem II and physics II and lab and those will probably be the last hard sciences I take until I apply. My cGPA will be high but my sGPA will be around a 3.3 when I apply, assuming I change my major. If I don't change, and stay with biology my sGPA will be improved but my cGPA may have a few extra Bs. Would y'all recommend keeping the biology major and ensuring a higher sGPA but risking a more average overall GPA or switching to the more interesting and applicable psych major and ensuring a maximized overall GPA but limiting my sGPA? Thanks!

No Limits

Nov 3, 2013
Schrödinger's Box
Status
Medical Student
It's official. My cGPA is sitting at a 3.35 and my sGPA is a straight 3.0. So far, I have 70 hours. If I make straight As next semester (15 hours), I can have a 3.46 cGPA. I am still very attracted to the psychology major, though. My concern is that I won't have enough science classes by the time I apply because if I change before the next semester I would have ochem II and physics II and lab and those will probably be the last hard sciences I take until I apply. My cGPA will be high but my sGPA will be around a 3.3 when I apply, assuming I change my major. If I don't change, and stay with biology my sGPA will be improved but my cGPA may have a few extra Bs. Would y'all recommend keeping the biology major and ensuring a higher sGPA but risking a more average overall GPA or switching to the more interesting and applicable psych major and ensuring a maximized overall GPA but limiting my sGPA? Thanks!
Is there any chance you can keep the psych major and add a science minor like bio?

OP
The_Bird

The_Bird

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Is there any chance you can keep the psych major and add a science minor like bio?
Well. I have taken intro to bio I and II per usual , as well as genetics. I think I would only need two extra biology classes.