BCPM GPA vs. Science GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ian1223

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which medical schools use which?

If its the first one, then Im El Screwedo

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge they were the exact same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which medical schools use which?

If its the first one, then Im El Screwedo

They're the same.

BCPM is Biology Chemistry Physics Math
Science is... well, basically that. I suppose you could add other courses that aren't explicitly those four, but to my knowledge no schools do really... they would have to calculate a separate GPA since the AMCAS GPA is I believe BCPM.

How are they the same? B=Biology, C=Chemistry, P=Physics, M=Math. So what if you took geology, astronomy, marine science, etc. etc. These are science courses that you'd think would factor into a Science GPA, but obviously wouldn't be considered BCPM.

How are they the same? B=Biology, C=Chemistry, P=Physics, M=Math. So what if you took geology, astronomy, marine science, etc. etc. These are science courses that you'd think would factor into a Science GPA, but obviously wouldn't be considered BCPM.

True. They didn't count my Computer Science and Geology courses as BCPM.

I like to think that the phrase "science GPA" refers to... well, you know, real science :rolleyes:

I like to think that the phrase "science GPA" refers to... well, you know, real science :rolleyes:

Yeah, because studying the Earth, the planet upon which we live, is a total waste of time. :rolleyes:

Really? I really thought they were the same...

UCLA pre-meds totally play the game of going to Astro classes to improve their BCPM. I mean not to knock on them, but they really play the game that way. Heck, I know a few people who managed to pull off a beautiful BCPM. Or at least in theory it was 3.9... I'm too lazy to actually look it up, but they may fall in Physics.

anyone know where the likes of "biofluids", "biomechanics" and "bioinstrumentation" lie? The next 2 years of my college career is going to be classes like those and I would be not too pleased to find out they won't boost up my BS freshman science classes.

anyone know where the likes of "biofluids", "biomechanics" and "bioinstrumentation" lie? The next 2 years of my college career is going to be classes like those and I would be not too pleased to find out they won't boost up my BS freshman science classes.

I would list it as physics or biology, and I am confident that those would be counted as BCPMs.

However, classes like astronomy, geology and atmospheric science won;t

I would list it as physics or biology, and I am confident that those would be counted as BCPMs.

However, classes like astronomy, geology and atmospheric science won;t

Those sound like BME classes to me, in which case: Engineering =/= science, and it won't go in the BCPM average.

If you have a verified AMCAS, AAMC assignes your classes specific categories:

BIOL
CHEM
PHYS
MATH

Im guessing that is how it is done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those sound like BME classes to me, in which case: Engineering =/= science, and it won't go in the BCPM average.

but if they decide that it has a big enough bio component, they will count it...
it's probably however they feel that day.

AMCAS has, in its application instructions, a very clear and detailed list of what they categorize certain subjects to be with regards to how they calculate GPA.

I see, thanks

I think that Astronomy can be seen as physics and Marine science as Marine Biology. I am not sure about geology but all science classes are counted in your BCPM.

I like to think that the phrase "science GPA" refers to... well, you know, real science

Astronomy is harder then biolgy.

Wow, you never stop learning. I always thought BCPM GPA is strictly the classes that are offered by the bio, physics, chem and math departments....but if it's not like that they might count my neuroscience classes!?!!?!?

Astronomy is counted as physics since at alot of schools they're taught by the same department(physics), that's how it is at my school.

Astronomy is counted as physics since at alot of schools they're taught by the same department(physics), that's how it is at my school.

Don't assume that the way your schools group classes the same way AMCAS does. This leads to a lot of issues with AMCAS verification if you don't thoroughly read AMCAS instructions.

Yea, not sure about amcas since I never took a science class outside of standard ones. But if someone did take an astronomy class it'd show up as a science class taught by the physics department on their university transcript, so I think it could fly.

Astronomy is harder then biolgy.
Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but I just want to address this...
I think that difficulty is entirely relative. For example, I love making fun of non-science (read: humanities/social science/business) majors as much as the next person, but the truth is, I have a harder time getting an "A" in those classes than I do in science classes.
Also, there are plenty of physics/math majors who can do advanced abstract math and calculations without any problem, but have a hard time dealing with the memorization and concepts of a biology class. I know engineering majors that ace their engineering and physics classes but have a hard time in bio or chem classes.
I know this is somewhat anecdotal, but I would bet money that it's true nearly everywhere.

That said, I think undergraduate bio is harder than undergrad astronomy.

some of you folks are confusing the "Dental Application Science GPA" with "medical school science GPA"

when your a pre-dental, your application will have 4 GPAs, each one in its own rightful category, and they are:
1) overall
2) Science (everything that is litterally "science", geology, astronomy, physcis, chemistry, engineering, computer science, etc etc etc)
3) BCM = Biology / Chemistry / Math ONLY
4) non-science

When your a pre-med applicant, I believe you get only two OFFICIAL GPAs
1) overall
2) Science (which is ONLY BCMP)
-and a third one, which is all the classes that don't fall under the BCMP category, but most of the weight is towards the first two.

Yea, not sure about amcas since I never took a science class outside of standard ones. But if someone did take an astronomy class it'd show up as a science class taught by the physics department on their university transcript, so I think it could fly.

You're missing the point. AMCAS has a standardized metric as to what classes belong in what discipline. While you're right that astronomy does show up under physics on AMCAS, it's not safe to assume that because your school has a class in a certain dept. (even if it's on your transcript), then that's how it will show up on AMCAS.

Yes, it's advisable to enter your courses into AMCAS EXACTLY how they appear on your transcript, but in this case, since AMCAS has very strict classifications of their own, you MUST follow theirs.

Well, I have a question someone may have the answer to...one of the courses i am taking right now is taught under the psych department (developmental psych), but is EXTREMELY bio based. We even use a biology textbook. Does this mean that I cant argue it as a bio class, and AMCAS will only leave it as psych for calculating?? Don't they take into account the actual content of the course rather than just the category??

Well, I have a question someone may have the answer to...one of the courses i am taking right now is taught under the psych department (developmental psych), but is EXTREMELY bio based. We even use a biology textbook. Does this mean that I cant argue it as a bio class, and AMCAS will only leave it as psych for calculating?? Don't they take into account the actual content of the course rather than just the category??
I called AAMC about this, and they told me to categorize the class based on the PRIMARY CONTENT OF THE COURSE. I asked if I could count a neuroscience class in the psych department as bio; they said yes, if the class was more than 50% bio. They said they usually give us the benefit of the doubt unless we try to do something weird like categorize a foreign language class as physics.

No. It's a psych class. You have no venue to argue the content of the class. If it's taught by the psych department and has psych in the title there's not really much you can do. You can try to designate it as a Biology class, but I'm fairly certain they'll change it to Psychology during verification (which can lead to delays).

No. It's a psych class. You have no venue to argue the content of the class. If it's taught by the psych department and has psych in the title there's not really much you can do. You can try to designate it as a Biology class, but I'm fairly certain they'll change it to Psychology during verification (which can lead to delays).
Do you know this by personal experience or by phoning them? As I said in my above post, my understanding is that it could count as bio.

I called AAMC about this, and they told me to categorize the class based on the PRIMARY CONTENT OF THE COURSE. I asked if I could count a neuroscience class in the psych department as bio; they said yes, if the class was more than 50% bio. They said they usually give us the benefit of the doubt unless we try to do something weird like categorize a foreign language class as physics.

Neuroscience strikes me as an exception to the rule, but I stand corrected as to the leniency on these matters. I figured with a class that has "psychology" in the course title, there's little chance for flexibility to call it a bio class.

Do you know this by personal experience or by phoning them? As I said in my above post, my understanding is that it could count as bio.

I did have to call them last year over a course called "History of Gender Studies". I tried to claim it was an english course (offered by the GS department, a subdepartment of our English dept., and was primarily literary analysis). I was told it would be designated as a History class, likely owing to the class it had history in the title.

I did have to call them last year over a course called "History of Gender Studies". I tried to claim it was an english course (offered by the GS department, a subdepartment of our English dept., and was primarily literary analysis). I was told it would be designated as a History class, likely owing to the class it had history in the title.
Ah, that does make sense.

I listed my biomechanics course as a physics course (it was basically a course in statics), and AMCAS let it stand. Same thing w/ my quantitative physiology (bio), physics of the heart (phys), and physics of the brain (phys) classes. All of those are in the BME department, but they all counted towards my BCPM.

Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but I just want to address this...
I think that difficulty is entirely relative. For example, I love making fun of non-science (read: humanities/social science/business) majors as much as the next person, but the truth is, I have a harder time getting an "A" in those classes than I do in science classes.
Also, there are plenty of physics/math majors who can do advanced abstract math and calculations without any problem, but have a hard time dealing with the memorization and concepts of a biology class. I know engineering majors that ace their engineering and physics classes but have a hard time in bio or chem classes.
I know this is somewhat anecdotal, but I would bet money that it's true nearly everywhere.

That said, I think undergraduate bio is harder than undergrad astronomy.

True on individual bases but then again thats like saying that Biochemistry and History are same on the difficulty level when they are not. Clearly more people have a hard time acing biochemistry then History. Sure there will be a couple who will ace Biochemistry but do horrible in history but majority of people will have a harder time with the biochemistry class then history class. I think because in science you actually have to understand the concepts rather then just memorize everything. Undergraduate biology concepts are not that difficult, and most of it just memorization. Not to mention first couple of classes consist of stuff you went through in high school just more in depth but astronomy is well you know.

Obviously this is my opinion only, so I could be totally wrong. Also as you said it is highly based on individuals.

this question has been asked many times before, and i thought that the class title matters also?

i know that general psy wouldnt count as bcpm but other classes through the psy department such as brain and behavior, psychpharmacology and phisiological psychology would count in the bcpm gpa? these courses were more science based btw.

will they or wont they? :confused:

my statistics course, which was in fact in the psych department, passed the amcas screen and was included in bcpm gpa. so did my computer science course "computational vision and biological perception," although i guess the word biological was in the title.

and fyi, they did have to change classification of some of my classes (teaching credential classes, and it was not clear whether they were undergrad or grad) and it didn't delay my verification. so, what's the harm in trying to put it in bcpm if you want it there? worst case scenario, they change it.

on the other hand, amcas just plain forgot to include a physics course that was definitely on my transcript. they can be idiots.

Neuroscience strikes me as an exception to the rule, but I stand corrected as to the leniency on these matters. I figured with a class that has "psychology" in the course title, there's little chance for flexibility to call it a bio class.

AAMC classified my Neurobiology class as Biology.

how bad is a 3.4 bcpm gpa, with a 3.5 overall gpa? No mcat score to compare yet.

:eek:

some of you folks are confusing the "Dental Application Science GPA" with "medical school science GPA"

when your a pre-dental, your application will have 4 GPAs, each one in its own rightful category, and they are:
1) overall
2) Science (everything that is litterally "science", geology, astronomy, physcis, chemistry, engineering, computer science, etc etc etc)
3) BCM = Biology / Chemistry / Math ONLY
4) non-science
BCP.

how bad is a 3.4 bcpm gpa, with a 3.5 overall gpa? No mcat score to compare yet.

:eek:

Get that MCAT score then we'll see. Getting a 29 certainly won't help your chances, while a 35 certainly gives you a better shot.