BibleThump

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 25, 2017
Just wanted to share some information that I recently received. Found out that my friend who was accepted last cycle is now currently taking a gap year due to some Facebook messages that he sent to other people. Apparently he said some racist/sexist things in those private Facebook conversations, and the recipients of those messages sent screenshots to the MD medical school that he was accepted at. Acceptance rescinded.

Just letting you know.

Jul 23, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
As a rule of thumb its always good to be careful about your online presence, where everything is documented, and not be a jerk.

Its one thing for someone to link a publicly available social media page to a school... but a little worrisome that someone could, presumably, doctor a screenshot and get an acceptance rescinded. How would schools verify if any of this actually occurred?

About the Ads

Soccer171983

living the dream
7+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2011
Las Vegas
Status
Attending Physician
I have heard and seen tons of things like this. I got rid of every social media account except doximity and linked in. Screen shooting a private message may seem private but no such thing as privacy other than what stays in your head. I remember where I went to med school I heard stories of the interesting ways in which the the med school was able to keep track on peoples social media and real social life (what they were doing at bars etc). There is very little privacy. I agree, If you don't want it used against you then don't say it at all.

OP
B

BibleThump

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 25, 2017
Yes, the strange thing about his situation is that it was a private facebook conversation (not public info). Guess they're really getting strict about this stuff.

Reactions: md-2020

kb1900

2+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Fwiw I got friended by 2 adcoms during the cycle last year.

You shouldn’t have anything that reflects poorly on you online anyway - isn’t that the first rule of the internet?

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I have first hand seen many, many people lose their jobs over social media activity...
Always be careful
Honestly, I don't even post about current events anymore. Like the whole NFL thing?
No comment..
I don't have an opinion, nope, none.

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Is hiding your social media necessary?
Has social media ever doomed a strong applicant in your experiences?
How deep do medical schools search an applicant personally?
Is this true about premed forums?

Assume all social media may be searched and seen by Adcoms so always be professional. One of the admission directors at a particular school is doing her doctorate in social media and medical student selection. Some medical schools have added an internet background search step usually post-interview, per-selection as due diligence to find any obvious issue. With automation and some software this is easy to do

This is a much larger issue for medical residents in applicant selection with many medical specialty academies and GME (residency) programs issue guidelines and, in some cases, strict agreements on social media use while in a program. The reason for this has been patients and families have started to look up doctors who are treating them. A case then was a 3rd year peds residents was treating a young girl and the next day the parents came in screaming to take that doctor away from my daughter or I will sue. Turned out the parents were freaked about a photo from a drunken frat party taken some 10 years earlier was posted on a social media site with this doctor tagged. (I will find the original case report and add it).

In the meanwhile there have been a slew of studies done on this to the point that AAMC has guidelines for applicants (first in list)
Aspiring Docs
The Impact of Social Media on Medical Professionalism: A Systematic Qualitative Review of Challenges and Opportunities
Influence of social networking websites on medical school and residency selection process. - PubMed - NCBI
site no longer available
Medscape: Medscape Access
Medical students’ and residents’ use of online social networking tools: Implications for teaching professionalism in medical education | Ferdig | First Monday
http://jepm.seahq.net/VolXVI_IssueV_McHugh.pdf

About the Ads

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Jun 7, 2017
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Apparently he said some racist/sexist things in those private Facebook conversations, and the recipients of those messages sent screenshots to the MD medical school that he was accepted at.
Jokes on the schools man! They assume that I have friends/acquaintances to chat with on FB. #sob #loner #needfriends

Oct 28, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Just as Facebook can be used against you if you post hateful things on it, it can help you if you post things that show your positive qualities. I would use it as an opportunity.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Just as Facebook can be used against you if you post hateful things on it, it can help you if you post things that show your positive qualities. I would use it as an opportunity.
My Facebook is pro-vaccine memes and pictures of my kids lol.

rdyotz

2+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2017
Arizona
Status
Facebook is still used a lot, and for some reason people still do not know how to control what they say/do when looking for a new job/med school.

DBC03

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Florida
www.thegracefuldwelling.com
Status
I think it goes without saying that you should be careful about everything you put in writing, regardless of whether you think you are anonymous, you think your friend will not share, you mean it as a joke, etc. Everything I say and do is an extension of who I am and indicative of my character. Everything I say online (and all that people see of me online) represents what I believe and I try to be careful that it represents who I *want* to be as well (as I am certainly not perfect). I don't necessarily care about the adcoms watching me - I care about the other people who look up to me as a role model or who may be watching how I react to something to determine how they should react. I often think of what my nieces may think if they saw what I write - would they think that's the person they know and have looked up to over the years? Or would they think I've been phony all this time? I hope they always think the former.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
My mom is, shall we say, "skeptical" of vaccines. So every couple of months or so she'll post some crazy anti-vaccine/pro-homeopathy thing on my Facebook that I have to debunk. It's fairly entertaining.
I have a cousin who constantly posts memes about big pharma and vaccines. I have thoroughly debunked her conspiracies multiple times. I don't get political or anything anymore on Facebook since I made my account, but that is one thing I won't let go.

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I won't post anything that I wouldn't want my mom to see. My dad trolls my Facebook from my sister's account, and complains about things I post. I rarely get political, and try to tread carefully. It's hard when you're a Jewish redneck living in the South, while all of your friends in Chicago are on the opposite end of the political spectrum. Every now and then I post some pro-gun posts, but haven't taken any selfies of that in a while.

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive
About the Ads

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
As a rule of thumb its always good to be careful about your online presence, where everything is documented, and not be a jerk.

Its one thing for someone to link a publicly available social media page to a school... but a little worrisome that someone could, presumably, doctor a screenshot and get an acceptance rescinded. How would schools verify if any of this actually occurred?
Gunner level: infinite

fourandtwo

7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2012
Status
I actually had an interview ask me how I felt about posting debatable topics on social media.

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Also be careful when you check-in at or write about your ECs. Don't write something like: "Another boring day volunteering at the hospital. This sucks." That can probably sink you as well.

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Also be careful when you check-in at or write about your ECs. Don't write something like: "Another boring day volunteering at the hospital. This sucks." That can probably sink you as well.
Has anybody been stupid enough to do that?

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Has anybody been stupid enough to do that?
During our pre-clinical orientation at the end of 2nd year, they showed us screen shots of medical students that openly posted how much they thought a rotation sucked. It's more reasonable to assume that people would do this with volunteering.

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
During our pre-clinical orientation at the end of 2nd year, they showed us screen shots of medical students that openly posted how much they thought a rotation sucked. It's more reasonable to assume that people would do this with volunteering.
0_0
Wow

It is mind numbing how obviously intelligent people can sometimes be so stupid.
Lack of street smarts I guess..

Reactions: Planes2Doc

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
0_0
Wow

It is mind numbing how obviously intelligent people can sometimes be so stupid.
Lack of street smarts I guess..
Yeah, or just look at the number of outrageous neurotic posts you see here multiple times daily! :eek:

Reactions: Matthew9Thirtyfive

TheBiologist

2+ Year Member
Sep 14, 2015
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
um how did they prove it was him though? you can create a facebook with any name and photo

CrayXMP14

2+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Just wanted to share some information that I recently received. Found out that my friend who was accepted last cycle is now currently taking a gap year due to some Facebook messages that he sent to other people. Apparently he said some racist/sexist things in those private Facebook conversations, and the recipients of those messages sent screenshots to the MD medical school that he was accepted at. Acceptance rescinded.

Just letting you know.
such people don't deserve to be in health care anyways let alone med school

Unless you have something glaringly bad on your profile like blatant drug use or pictures of you with Nazi paraphernalia, it seems kind of inappropriate for a school to do something like this because anything online could easily be faked or taken out of context... But still, these days it's always a good idea to thoroughly delete everything several years back on your accounts, set them to maximum privacy, or deactivate them altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
About the Ads
OP
B

BibleThump

Membership Revoked
Removed
Sep 25, 2017
Guys, the difference here is that these WERE NOT PUBLIC POSTS. They were private messages. I think we've all known for a long time that public posts can come back to haunt you, but this is the first time that I've heard of private Facebook conversations being used against the applicant.

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Guys, the difference here is that these WERE NOT PUBLIC POSTS. They were private messages. I think we've all known for a long time that public posts can come back to haunt you, but this is the first time that I've heard of private Facebook conversations being used against the applicant.
Harvard Rescinds Acceptances for At Least Ten Students for Obscene Memes | News | The Harvard Crimson

In general, I'd say it's best to avoid sending racist or sexist messages, lest you possibly be construed as a racist or sexist person!

Aug 30, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Some stuff may also be taken out of context if it is in a screenshot. Public posts are fair game for adcom because anybody can see it. But I feel like its an invasion of privacy if they would go seeking private communication (not saying that they do). Just try to make sure that the stuff that you say isnt going to come back to bite ya. I have my IG public because I dont think I have posted anything bad on there but even then, some people may not have the humor that I do so even memes can be touchy sometimes.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
Facebook is still used a lot, and for some reason people still do not know how to control what they say/do when looking for a new job/med school.
It always blows my mind when people post long rants about their jobs on Facebook. It's like people don't actually realize that the things they say online can have real-life consequences.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I promise you, you're not missing out on anything important.
I'm on Facebook mostly so that I can keep in touch with family during deployments/underways and with friends and family I've had to move away from. There is a lot of useless stuff on there lol.

Reactions: akuko2 and Ad2b

Dr.Sticks

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
It always blows my mind when people post long rants about their jobs on Facebook. It's like people don't actually realize that the things they say online can have real-life consequences.
This
Or even worse when people post all this drama in a PUBLIC group with all of their info available to see on their profile...

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
There is definitely more to the story, no school would rescind an acceptance because some rando emailed in "screen shots" of things an acceptee had supposedly said.

MTRN406

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Feb 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Just don't say hateful or racist things. Is that so hard to do?
Yes it is. Especially when the line for what constitutes hateful or racist things keeps moving further and further to the left. Is expressing support for ending the DACA program or building the wall hateful? What about expressing a desire that affirmative action be ended? Saying "all lives matter?" In a world where medical schools are giving applicants the option of identifying as a gender other than male or female, and allowing them to make up their own pronouns that they will then be addressed by, there is no limit to what can be considered hateful or offensive.

holycrap

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2016
Not home
Status
Pre-Medical
You know I was gonna make my name BibleThump when I created this account

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Don't feel sorry for the kid. Shouldn't have said those racist comments to anyone. Oh well, good for him.

Giovanotto

5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Don't feel sorry for the kid. Shouldn't have said those racist comments to anyone. Oh well, good for him.
How do you know it was racist or sexist? Can't those terms be subjectively evaluated/interpreted? Also, I have much more respect for someone that is openly sexist/racist rather than a closet racist/sexist or someone so out of touch with themselves and how they feel/think that they simply follow what others believe. I think acting on racist/sexism is a completely different thing, by the way.

Plus, I'm betting it was someone making a sexist joke and a stuck up, butthurt pre-med thought he'd be the next social justice champ and report it.

aldol16

2+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Very strange case indeed. I could literally take someone's profile pic, create a fake profile, friend myself, and create a bogus message thread - all in under 5 minutes. Any med school committee who would make the decision to rescind an acceptance based only on that sort of evidence is, quite frankly, idiotic.

About the Ads