WingedOx

Unofficial Froopyland Forum Mod.
Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2010
Let's call it a World Cup hiatus...
Status
Attending Physician
Just wanted to share some information that I recently received. Found out that my friend who was accepted last cycle is now currently taking a gap year due to some Facebook messages that he sent to other people. Apparently he said some racist/sexist things in those private Facebook conversations, and the recipients of those messages sent screenshots to the MD medical school that he was accepted at. Acceptance rescinded.

Just letting you know.
the identities of these other people is likely as important as the actual content of the messages themselves.

Situational awareness, people! It's important.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
10+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2005
Status
Academic Administration
I'm one of those people who still uses Facebook but mostly to see pictures of my classmates grandbabies....

But I laughed when I saw this post "liked" by my niece in Canada:

Spotted At Mac
September 21 at 5:44pm ·
You know it's med school application season when all your friends suddenly have random names on facebook!

joschar

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Status
Medical Student
Yup. I've been accused of being racist because I suggested that illegal immigrants make things more difficult for legal immigrants.
I was accused of being racist when I bought an American flag case for my white kindle. Apparently there was some philosophical imagery about placing a white object inside of something with a flag pattern that flew way over my head when I made my purchases.

About the Ads

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I was accused of being racist when I bought an American flag case for my white kindle. Apparently there was some philosophical imagery about placing a white object inside of something with a flag pattern that flew way over my head when I made my purchases.
I'm a first generation American. My parents escaped from the Soviet Union in 1979. They came to this country with $100 in their pockets and made something of themselves. I am grateful for everything that this country has done for us. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been granted, and the ability to become a physician. I love my country. If all of these young people that are so damn offended by everything including the American flag actually lived in the Soviet Union, they would be singing a different tune.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

*breathes in* boi
2+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I'm a first generation American. My parents escaped from the Soviet Union in 1979. They came to this country with $100 in their pockets and made something of themselves. I am grateful for everything that this country has done for us. I am grateful for the opportunities I have been granted, and the ability to become a physician. I love my country. If all of these young people that are so damn offended by everything including the American flag actually lived in the Soviet Union, they would be singing a different tune.
The level of self hatred these people have with being American is inversely proportional to their experience with other countries lol.

Planes2Doc

Residency is ruff!
7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2012
The South
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Reactions: Ad2b

Ad2b

2+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical

Apparently, @Planes2Doc writing that is making banned words... :lol:
(and to those that don't read Cyrillic, it says the USSR was my minor in college)

Reactions: Planes2Doc

cossackdoc

2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, the strange thing about his situation is that it was a private facebook conversation (not public info). Guess they're really getting strict about this stuff.
Privacy and/or anonymity is a casualty of our digital age, so...anyone foolish enough not to realize this and act accordingly will likely reap the consequences.

Reactions: Planes2Doc and Ad2b
About the Ads