Be honest, is it a bad sign that I find Kaplan QR to be difficult?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMC114

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared: Will the real thing be much worse?

Members don't see this ad.

Kaplan QR was tough for me as well ... The QR is all about time management but i truly feel that this section was designed to not be finished. Just keep your cool and mark tough questions and move on quickly ... some questions are very easy and its important that you find and destroy those and skip the time wasters.

Kaplan QR was tough for me as well ... The QR is all about time management but i truly feel that this section was designed to not be finished. Just keep your cool and mark tough questions and move on quickly ... some questions are very easy and its important that you find and destroy those and skip the time wasters.

thanks for the help!

i found the kaplan math worksheets to be very hard. however, on the whole length practice tests, I found them to be easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found the kaplan QR to be on the same par as the QR on the actual DAT. tho they DAT QR was slightly easier to do. :) i think practicing the kaplan QR would be great practice for the actual test.

I agree, I thought Kaplan QR practice was nearly identical to the actual test. I usually scored around an 18 on the practice tests and ended up getting the same score on the real thing.

This section is all about timing and recognition. There are question types that repeatedly show up and you just need to be able to recognize what type of problem it is and then recall the trick that you can use to solve the problem in the most timely manner possible. From my experience morst of the problems have shortcuts. We would probably be able to solve all of the problems if we took five minutes per question...time is the limiting factor.

Kaplan's practice material went over every problem type that I saw on the real test. Unfortunately, I was pressed for time while studying and this was the section that I neglected.

good luck.

Everyone has basically hit up on the most important points...but I just want to add something that might help you while you study.

Since time is DEFINITELY the most limiting factor, it's actually best to practice for this section without time and learn all the math first. Obviously basic algebra doesn't require learning but practice brushing up on your geometry, trig (Kaplan under-represents the amount of trig on the real DAT) and then all of those probability/statistics problems. Make sure you can do them repeatedly and find a method that works well for you to approach each problem type. Once you've established that, THEN you add the time crunch to try and get through it.

If you force the time upon yourself too early, then you never learn the tricks of the math properly and never really have a chance to increase speed.

Best of luck! :thumbup:

thanks for the advice everyone. that's good advice dcredskinsrule. i'll practice for accuracy before timing myself :)

I agree, that the kaplan QR section is almost exact what u would expect in the DAT. Make sure you know them. The test doesn't give you time to think too long on each question, I think it is setup in a way that when finish the section u will be near time allowed. Like the post upon said, just pick out the easy one, mark those u think is difficult or time consuming (remember to put in an answer), then go back to them when u finish. There no pt on stucking on one question, and mess up ur pace for the rest of the exam.