Be honest, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jvillepharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Science GPA is a 3.7 and my pcat score is a 75:(
The only school I applied to was University of Florida; I know that's pretty stupid. I know they only look at GPA and pcat, but my extracurriculars are that I tutored in chemistry for 1.5 yrs at university.
For the people who got into UF or are applying to UF, do you think I stand a ghost of a chance?:scared:

P.S. For anybody that's wondering, I am gunning for the Jacksonville or Orlando Campuses.

Members don't see this ad.

well i know very little about UF pharmacy school, but do know that wherever you go your chances are very slim.
yes you do have a good GPA and decent pcat. but they are looking for people that do something other than study. and you said your only extracurricular is being a tutor. it honestly is not very impressive. they will look at that and see someone without a life.
im being blunt but i think everyone will agree with me

nc_tradition is all the way right. You need more than grades and exam scores to get you into pharmacy or any other professional schools. You need to show leadership, and ability beyond books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to UF. I have a 3.64 GPA and 76 PCAT. In stae resident..4 years of research....2 years volunteering for pharm....If you are an instate resident you will get past the inital screening for GPA and PCAT....however, when they look at ur file, it might be thin. However, if you wrote good essays, b/c i heard they look at personal statements...i think you can get in...being from flordia would really help too.......have u heard anyting back from them yet by any chance?.....

All depends on the interview. Slim extra currics and the PCAT will hurt but nail an interview and who knows you may be in Pharmacy school this Fall!

.... However, if you wrote good essays, b/c i heard they look at personal statements...

I am a fourth year undergraduate student at UF. I know that this school cares about numbers!!! However, I agree with gators14, if you wrote outstanding essays, then you should at least get an interview, but it might be thin. Hopefully you can offer UF something other than just your grades (UF is very big on having a certain public image)

I disagree with the pster above....the PCAT will not hurt her...it is within the range of UF and she has a high GPA....its not the PCAT that won't get her in

By the way, I am vice president of a pre-pharmacy club and did an internship in Nuclear Pharmacy (just 25 hrs), but was unable to add it to Pharmcas because it was too late. What will they think if I bring it up at the interview?:confused:

Solely based on stats, I think you stand a chance (you may not hear for a little while). The admission process at UF was described to me like this. They start with a certain range...say 3.5 GPA and 90 PCAT. They pick out the people from there. Then they look at 3.3 GPA and 80 PCAT and pick. I'm sure I don't have the admissions entirely correct. I think they work their way through the applicants based on ranges. It gives a general idea though. It does help that you're a FL resident. Best of luck.

I disagree with the pster above....the PCAT will not hurt her...it is within the range of UF and she has a high GPA....its not the PCAT that won't get her in

In years past - PCAT HAS kept people out - Initially - they will set a bar at which people must be above. the PCAT bar has been set around 75 or 80 for the past 2 years (no one knows the exact number). My boss (I work at Shands) and about 2 other Pharm Admins from my pharmacy are on the ADCOM.

They will look at all applicants that are peaked however... if you have a 3.99 and a 70 PCAT - similarly, if you have a lower gpa with a 99 PCAT - you WILL get looked at. If you are not stellar in either GPA or PCAT - you may get passed because of it.

They are inviting around 350 people for interviews... and around 300 will be offered seats. One of the best acceptance ratios for interviewees out there.

Working here... I personally dont like it - Although it was my number one choice until I started here (after which I didn't even apply)... Good luck to you all

~above~

In years past - PCAT HAS kept people out - Initially - they will set a bar at which people must be above. the PCAT bar has been set around 75 or 80 for the past 2 years (no one knows the exact number). My boss (I work at Shands) and about 2 other Pharm Admins from my pharmacy are on the ADCOM.

They will look at all applicants that are peaked however... if you have a 3.99 and a 70 PCAT - similarly, if you have a lower gpa with a 99 PCAT - you WILL get looked at. If you are not stellar in either GPA or PCAT - you may get passed because of it.

They are inviting around 350 people for interviews... and around 300 will be offered seats. One of the best acceptance ratios for interviewees out there.

Working here... I personally dont like it - Although it was my number one choice until I started here (after which I didn't even apply)... Good luck to you all

~above~

You might be right since you heard it from admission comm. but I have talked to pharmacy advisors here and they say their range is 3.5-3.6 GPA and 70-99 PCAT range. From what i heard as long as ur within the range...U WILL get looked at or most likely will get looked at...of course having a higher PCAT or GPA is always good...but from what i hear if ur within the range u should get looked at.....however, you did have the oppertunity to actually talk to people on the adm comm. so my information could be worng form the advisors that i talked to but that is what i heard

well i know very little about UF pharmacy school, but do know that wherever you go your chances are very slim.
yes you do have a good GPA and decent pcat. but they are looking for people that do something other than study. and you said your only extracurricular is being a tutor. it honestly is not very impressive. they will look at that and see someone without a life.
im being blunt but i think everyone will agree with me

I did zero community service and I got in with a 3.27 GPA. God only knows what the individual admissions committees actually "look for." You might or might not have a better chance with attribute X vs. attribute Y. Each school looks for different random things in their student. On top of that each admissions chair has some brilliant theory as to what qualities the theoretically perfect student would possess to be the best candidate.

Community service is something some look at strongly...I guess thats you're experience at some other school. It wasn't for me. They didn't seem to care about it at all when they interviewed me.

So what's my point? None really, I'm just kinda rambling on pointlessly. If I had to make one, I'd say that getting into pharmacy school is 20% crap-shoot, 20% image-management, 60% empirical measurements (GPA, PCAT, blah, blah, blah.)

Interesting thread...the inner workings of admissions. People that make decisions which could make or break future careers. Wish I knew more about the decision process. The posts here have been very informative. :thumbup:

nc_tradition is all the way right. You need more than grades and exam scores to get you into pharmacy or any other professional schools. You need to show leadership, and ability beyond books.

Tutoring does show leadership.

I had a 3.7 Pre-PHR GPA (pre-reqs), 86 composite, 95 chem, 86 Biology, 85 Quant, and terrible verbal, reading, and writing scores on the PCAT. I had no pharmacy technician experience, but did have some very marginal pharmacy shadowing experience (which was hardly brought up in my interview) and got accepted to Texas Tech.

However, when I was asked about my health-related experience, I turned a potential negative into a positive. I said something along the lines of "many current pharmacy students and almost every pharmacist I've encountered, tell me that they believe pharmacy technician experience is not necessary at all when considering a career in pharmacy. These individuals highlight the fact that this shows candidates the wrong side of pharmacy since most technicians only learn some drug names and laws. Furthermore, I have to agree with their idea that many of the qualities and attributes of a community pharmacist are part of most retail jobs, and I've had the opportunity to develop a number of skills salient to the practice of community pharmacy..."

Then I brought the conversation around to mention other marketable features of my file: My retail and management experience - I've made work skeds, dealt with irate customers, and have been promoted quickly at every job I've had. I've worked full-time for most of my undergraduate studies so I had developed excellent time management.

Also, what may have helped a lot is having solid and well thought-out answers for my interviewers when it came to questions about PlanB contraceptive dispensing and how I felt about the ethical delima. This helped demonstrate that what I lacked in direct experience in pharmacy, I made up for by having working knowledge of a pharmacy and was aware of current events in, and the future of, pharmacy.

Every school is different. I just did the best I could do on the PCAT with a reasonable amount of studying, got my pre-phr GPA as high as possible before submitting my application, worked and reworked my essays and personal statement, learned as much about the school as possible (took a tour of the facilities a month before my interview which may/may not have helped my image for the AdCom, but I did take it with someone on the admissions staff), and I had something more insightful to say for why I wanted to be a pharmacist other than the standard "Well... I want to help people, and uhh... yeah, I mean, it's a stable career, ya know?"

Probably the most important thing to mention: Tech seems to really care about extracurricular and non-empirical measurements of a candidate for the purpose of diversifying the school. Although I did not have a fraternity affiliation or even an official tutor program (like you) to put on my resume, I did have some volunteer activities in high school with the special ed department at my high school (which my mother worked for) and on Friday nights at a "boys and girls club" type of establishment. Regrettably, I really have not had time for such activities since HS, and I mentioned that... Basically you've got more extracurricular activities in college on your application than I did.

Stay confident and remember: Grades, scores, and writing ability can get you to the interview. From there, you are probably on an equal playing field (you definitely are at Texas Tech). You should have an idea of what a good pharmacist is. You have given them evidence that you've got what it takes in the classroom, just show them you can do it in real life. Good luck...