Be honest, why did you choose a DO school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I ever have my gallbladder out, I'm having you do it JP. :D

Can you use OMM as an anesthetic?

(Sorry, the chiropractic jokes never get old)

Members don't see this ad.

I LOVE JP :) :love: :love: :love:

(as my SDN brother )

Can you use OMM as an anesthetic?

(Sorry, the chiropractic jokes never get old)

No, but randomly controlled trials have shown OMT to be beneficial in controlling post-op pain. Less use of narcotics and shortened hospital stay (resolution of post-op ileus, decreased incidence of atelectasis and pneumonia).

Members don't see this ad :)
No, but randomly controlled trials have shown OMT to be beneficial in controlling post-op pain. Less use of narcotics and shortened hospital stay (resolution of post-op ileus, decreased incidence of atelectasis and pneumonia).

That's boring. Of course decreased post-op pain will lead to shortened hospital stays, decreased narcotic use, and decreased PNA/atelectasis.

If you can't use it to replace anesthesia like the accupuncturists, what's the point? :D

If you can't use it to replace anesthesia like the accupuncturists, what's the point? :D

Its a good way to pick up women. Plus in OMM lab you get to see all of your female classmates in sports bras

Its a good way to pick up women. Plus in OMM lab you get to see all of your female classmates in sports bras

Trust me, that is not always a great advantage. Now if the PA class at my school was in OMM then I would say hel! ya!

I started viewing these post to get information and I am very shocked that a majority of these posts are extremely immature and naive. It is like being in a high school chat room. I am concerned that some of you have been accepted into medical school.

I started viewing these post to get information and I am very shocked that a majority of these posts are extremely immature and naive. It is like being in a high school chat room. I am concerned that some of you have been accepted into medical school.

Some are not only accepted but seeing patients! :eek: Scary, huh? J/K.

Some unsolicited advice - quickly develop a thick skin and a sense of humor if you want to survive here. There is a lot of good information, but sometimes you have to deal with a lot of BS to get to it.

Also, many people use these boards as a way to vent and show the sides of their personality that being a part of a profession like medicine forces us to keep under wraps much of the time. I don't know if you're a doc or med student, but the expectation that med students must always act serious and professional, even in their off time, is just not realistic. Med students are people, too, and need to have some fun and yes, act like idiots sometimes.

Some are not only accepted but seeing patients! :eek: Scary, huh? J/K.

Some unsolicited advice - quickly develop a thick skin and a sense of humor if you want to survive here. There is a lot of good information, but sometimes you have to deal with a lot of BS to get to it.

Also, many people use these boards as a way to vent and show the sides of their personality that being a part of a profession like medicine forces us to keep under wraps much of the time. I don't know if you're a doc or med student, but the expectation that med students must always act serious and professional, even in their off time, is just not realistic. Med students are people, too, and need to have some fun and yes, act like idiots sometimes.
QFT!

Hope you don't mind, but that's going in my sig...

There's decent research out there showing that student athletes do better than non student athletes.

Something about the whole "mind-body-spirit" connection--physical exercise with discipline, yada yada yada....

1.) If you compare any scholarship student-athlete playing any college sport (spending about 5-8 hours/day w/ prax, lifting, rehab, meetings, walking back and forth to catch a few classes in between etc.) vs. the same student simply working vs. the same student with school as his only responsibilty, their GPA's will increase in the order they are listed here.

2.) The only people athletics benefits in the GPA category are the ones who need a routine schedule and mandatory study halls to keep themselves from partying their way out of school.

Members don't see this ad :)

Guess how much I care?

No, seriously, take a guess.

:sleep:

OK CommanderRiker

Not only have I been accepted, but I will be graduating in a month.

Perhaps you would be better in another profession and forum altogether.

Nurses are in demand.

Who the hell are you to judge anyone?

A PreMed passing judgement on people above and beyond him in every way.

:rolleyes:

Ridickulous.

OK CommanderRiker

Funny, I too thought of Riker after seeing Navy's post. I have almost no doubt it is a Riker alt, similar short structure of Riker's posts and written in the same troll manner...

I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. Our family dr. was a D.O. She is now in her nineties. She attended KCOM, where she was the only women in her class to graduate. To this day, I bet she can still say that at least 25% of the people living in the town were delivered by her, or were at least her patient at some point. Why would I want to be an M.D. after that experience? :)

In the words of Bart Simpson:

Eat my shorts!

You're right, all the pieces fit...Unable to integrate his doubts about osteopathic medicine, JP's mind split and the DKM persona emerged...classic DID.

You caught me!

Now, who is Inviz really...

clark1978c.jpg

Agreed. It's very bizarre. It seems as if since JP lost his "moderator" status it's been like he's on some sort of child-like rampage that the rest of the moderators are hesitant to stop.

Riker at least adds some humor and charisma to his posts; JP's smack of the typical "I didn't get into UConn, I wasn't competitive enough to even apply for allo surg residency spots, and now I'm going to hang out here on the DO forum where I'll likely reside for life." Sad and pathetic, JP. Get a life.

Now, who is Inviz really...

I can't tell you that...but he has managed some pretty impressive stats in his short tenure. For instance:

Amount of time of SDN-- 8 Months
Amount of time with "Account on Hold" status-- 4 Months
Number of posts-- 2300+
Number of posts that pissed people off-- 2200+
Number of enemies made-- 432,345,102
Number of friends made-- 11
Number of sarcastic remarks-- 4312
Number of intelligent remarks-- 4
Number of times placed on hold-- 42
Number of times quoted in replies-- 1314
Number of arguments with JP-- 976
Number of arguments won against JP-- 0
Number of the beast-- 666
Number of total insults given-- 2112
Number of posts that don't insult someone-- 43
Times a moderator was emailed about one of his posts-- 914

He's obviously the top all-time record holder on SDN. Let's give that boy a hand!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Agreed. It's very bizarre. It seems as if since JP lost his "moderator" status it's been like he's on some sort of child-like rampage that the rest of the moderators are hesitant to stop.

Riker at least adds some humor and charisma to his posts; JP's smack of the typical "I didn't get into UConn, I wasn't competitive enough to even apply for allo surg residency spots, and now I'm going to hang out here on the DO forum where I'll likely reside for life." Sad and pathetic, JP. Get a life.

1. I didnt "lose" my mod position. I resigned.
2. I didnt apply to UCONN
3. I matched into a dually accredited (allo/osteo) program

Thanks.

And youre a premed? Nice. What will you be doing in July?

And let us know if you ever figure out your DO vs carribean decision.

1. I didnt "lose" my mod position. I resigned.
2. I didnt apply to UCONN
3. I matched into a dually accredited (allo/osteo) program

Thanks.

And youre a premed? Nice. What will you be doing in July?

And let us know if you ever figure out your DO vs carribean decision.
Noticed you edited to remove #4: "Proud to be a DO." Nice edit.

Yeah, right now it's a toss-up. A lot of SGU folks landed some sweet ACGME surg spots. As we all know, that sure beats the hell out of what you'll be doing for the next 5 years.

And I didn't apply to JHU -- I guess there must be something to that ol' "self-selection" business afterall, huh JP?

Yeah, right now it's a toss-up. A lot of SGU folks landed some sweet ACGME surg spots. As we all know, that sure beats the hell out of what you'll be doing for the next 5 years.

And I didn't apply to JHU -- I guess there must be something to that ol' "self-selection" business afterall, huh JP?

dude....wtf.... you'll be doing a lot of people a favor by going to SGU

I would love to see the "sweet" spots they landed. Post the link.

I dont see how thats better than a dually accredited spot, but Im not a premed so I dont know where that mindset is.

I dont know what JHU is. Hopkins? I was a one college, one med school and one residency application guy.

The point is in 4-5 years one of us will be a chief resident in the #1 osteopathic surgical residency in the country (and only dually accredited) and the other one will be applying for a residency program on the mainland.

Just make sure when you come back for interviews you fly United. I hear the trip over in a raft is a pain in the butt.

I dont see how thats better than a dually accredited spot...
And that's why we're certain to see you here year after year. Enjoy osteo surg. That's the nightmare I'm hoping SGU might allow me to avoid.

That's the nightmare I'm hoping SGU might allow me to avoid.

:laugh:

You crack me up.

Im confident in my program. The entire chief class is going into Plastics. Last year class are in plastics, trauma (UPENN) and vascular.

You think being a DO brings stigma? Try explaining that you went to school in the carribean. I hear they print their diplomas on a banana leaf.

If you think youre going to match Uro from a cruise ship school, you are sorely mistaken. But look at it this way...FPs can tell people to take their pants off too. :thumbup:

I can't tell you that...but he has managed some pretty impressive stats in his short tenure. For instance:

Amount of time of SDN-- 8 Months
Amount of time with "Account on Hold" status-- 4 Months
Number of posts-- 2300+
Number of posts that pissed people off-- 2200+
Number of enemies made-- 432,345,102
Number of friends made-- 11
Number of sarcastic remarks-- 4312
Number of intelligent remarks-- 4
Number of times placed on hold-- 42
Number of times quoted in replies-- 1314
Number of arguments with JP-- 976
Number of arguments won against JP-- 0
Number of the beast-- 666
Number of total insults given-- 2112
Number of posts that don't insult someone-- 43
Times a moderator was emailed about one of his posts-- 914

He's obviously the top all-time record holder on SDN. Let's give that boy a hand!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

:laugh: Classic.
I'm sure his first act when he comes back will be to post a nasty response to this post and promptly get himself banned again. :laugh: I have to say, I really thought this last time he was genuinely trying to be a kinder, gentler Inviz.

You think being a DO brings stigma?
No, I think DO's who don't perform well in med school and end up in an AOA residency spots bring stigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.