Medical Be honest with me: will I get any MD interviews? I feel so hopeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a post from someone who works in an admissions team, and they said how applicants get 'priority review' for either being high stat or URM. Which is fine, but I feel like this means my application won't really get a chance. I guess the purpose of this thread is to ask for a heart-to-heart honest analysis.

ORM, 3.95 sGPA, 505 (126/126/124/129) to 508 (128/125/127/128) retake. I was really stubborn about applying this year despite being burnt out from my exam being canceled 3 times and not really having a quiet place to study.
I will be honest with you and say most of my experiences are cookie-cutter. 1 3rd author publication, a few poster presentations, 300 volunteer hours, 100 shadowing hours, premed club officer, musician. I like to think I am a good writer.

Starting application year out of school as an MA/scribe in an internal medicine office. I'm 18 years old. My personal statement is mediocre, but my letters are stellar, and I have a strong committee letter from my university as well. I come from a low-tier university. My school list is as follows, Florida resident:

18 schools (all I could afford), I tried to limit reach schools:
Florida State
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
NSU MD
University of Miami
Central Florida
University of Florida
South Florida
-
Temple
Drexel
Albany
Seton Hall
University of Colorado (reach, but I have family in the same city)
University of Vermont
Medical College of Wisconsin
Eastern Virginia
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont

I have no problem with the DO degree itself, but like anyone I would prefer to avoid having to take two types of board exams if possible. I haven't opened AACOMAS yet because it would be an added financial strain (really waiting till I get my next credit statement..)

I apologize for this WAMC-esque question. The fact that I am going to have to wait till late October to actually hear anything back regarding my app is eating away at me at night.
Beggars can't be choosy; you need DO schools on your list, especially as a 2x MCAT taker with your top score being 3 basis points below the median. Chances for MD are best with the FL schools. U CO and U VM are donations.

What are your GPAs?

You're 18 years old now? That usually backfires as people who interview < the age of 20 come off as immature. I suggest taking a gap year and working, especially in a service job.

Your school list is otherwise fine

Members don't see this ad.

As you know, your MCAT is the issue for MD schools but I don’t think you are out of the game. Your GPA is great and if your letters are actually stellar, this may help. I think you are doing the right thing in applying to in-state schools, but I would throw in DO schools as well. If your only gripe is having to take 2 sets of boards, apply to DO. Honestly, the biggest gripe I had with having to take both boards is the extra expense and having to sit another day for 8 hours. The exam is virtually the same with a few extra DO-specific questions.

I suppose you make a good point. There are some DO schools I'd like to attend, like Campbell in NC, that have a 'Christian' learning environment (as said on their site). I am Muslim - think this is a big deal?

I heard a lot of DO schools have $1000+ deposits that you need to pay by like December - IF I get any MD acceptances, I'm worried this will be an issue. Any input on that?

I am sure some have deposits, but if you really want the MD then it’s what has to be done. I’m not saying $1000 isn’t a lot of money, but you are gonna be 200-300k in debt. What’s the difference when it’s 201-301k?

I suppose you make a good point. There are some DO schools I'd like to attend, like Campbell in NC, that have a 'Christian' learning environment (as said on their site). I am Muslim - think this is a big deal?

I heard a lot of DO schools have $1000+ deposits that you need to pay by like December - IF I get any MD acceptances, I'm worried this will be an issue. Any input on that?
Consider it insurance and you'll make it back handily as an attending.

None of the DO schools will care about your religion except LUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll definitely be working on AACOMAS. You really think Vermont is a donation? I haven't completed the secondary yet, so if that's true, I just won't complete it.

My GPA is a 3.95 sGPA, 3.97 cGPA.

Yes, 18. I am starting my gap year right now - by matriculation, I will be 19. I had the concern about maturity too, but when I addressed it after my committee interview with my university they didn't think it was a problem (3 MDs, 4 PhDs).

Thanks for the reply.
For U VM your highest MCAT score is barely above the 10th %ile for OOS. On top of this, many schools avg MCAT scores.

Thanks. I'll save myself the $125 secondary fee then.

Do you have a recommended DO list for my stats? I saw you don't recommend NSU DO- any particular reason why?

Sorry if I'm picking your brain
Nova: Two of the four last years have declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. The last two years for which we have data are in the low 90s. Some 7% of their 2018 grads failed to match, ditto 4% of their Class of 2019. There are also signs of significant delay to graduation in these numbers. That’s still not good for a veteran school. I’d expect > 95% pass rates and match rates closer to 100%. These problems are you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there. See: Residency Match Data and COMLEX Level 3 Board Scores | NSU COM

I suggest:
Both LECOMs
ACOM
CUSOM
all VCOMs except LA
KCOM
KYCOM
PCOM-PA and GA
WVSOM
NYITCOM
MUCOM
KCU