Be prepared to laugh until you can’t laugh anymore

Jun 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
What do you know about this?

I guess I am just curious. I know the answer is no. I’m a 50 year old who turned down an acceptance to med school when I was 23. I was married and got pregnant and the rest is history. Tbh if I could go back in time I would have gone to med school. I’ve regretted it my whole life

Thumbs down on this option I guess.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Deltasidearm

2+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2018
Sounds like they provide you with enough medical training and experience to help them run clinics in countries like Africa. It certainly doesn't confer any MD degree or eligibility for residency and board certification to practice in the US, but it could actually be a good resource for developing and extremely high need countries.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
May 26, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Sounds like they provide you with enough medical training and experience to help them run clinics in countries like Africa. It certainly doesn't confer any MD degree or eligibility for residency and board certification to practice in the US, but it could actually be a good resource for developing and extremely high need countries.
Honestly looks like a great resource. It being tuition and fee free is great too and speaks to its mission. I dont think its worth laughing at if it provides a genuinely useful base level education

Reactions: 1 user

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Can someone explain this? xD
If you read the About Us page (I know, it requires an extra click) it's fairly clear. They are supporting a novel apprentice model for training new healthcare providers in low-access/high-need countries:

We provide the classroom side of medical education while students work in local clinics to learn the practical side of medicine. We assist in locating internship placements for all students with local medical clinics or physicians.

Students learn basic science including anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology through online classes. For those working in rural communities, additional training is given in immunization, basic care for women and children, water purification, and sanitation. Practical aspects of medical care and various medical procedures are taught in clinics by health care providers. Once fully trained, we believe students can bring much-needed basic health care to rural and underserved areas.

I personally do not see the humor in any of this.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
If you read the About Us page (I know, it requires an extra click) it's fairly clear. They are supporting a novel apprentice model for training new healthcare providers in low-access/high-need countries:

We provide the classroom side of medical education while students work in local clinics to learn the practical side of medicine. We assist in locating internship placements for all students with local medical clinics or physicians.

Students learn basic science including anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology through online classes. For those working in rural communities, additional training is given in immunization, basic care for women and children, water purification, and sanitation. Practical aspects of medical care and various medical procedures are taught in clinics by health care providers. Once fully trained, we believe students can bring much-needed basic health care to rural and underserved areas.

I personally do not see the humor in any of this.
To add to this, the founder is a physician located in West Virginia who runs a Rural Outreach Arthritis Center Clinic in that very rural state. Additionally, he ran a Telemedicine program rural areas near border of Afghanistan for 5 years (see below). From what I gather he has been doing telemedicine for about a decade, something that many healthcare providers just started this past year

Rheumatology Care Using Telemedicine

Jun 2, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Psychology Student
Sorry. I meant humor in the possibility of me doing it. It seems to be a great resource for third world countries. I just noticed the UK mentioned and started wondering if it could possibly be accredited here. It’s not. The premise is quite noble. The humor or more like stupidity was in thinking it could work for me. Old dreams die hard. If you’re questioning going to med school now and are nursing some doubts, go! Don’t be me.

About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.