Beat this travel distance to a MCAT site......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blaze1306

"I have a Dream....."
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I waited till today to try and get a seat in Oklahoma for the MCAT. This being my first time taking the test I was completly unaware of the tremendous lack of space. Needless to say all date are full in Oklahoma through June and since I wanted to be in the first set of Osteopathic applications this June I took a seat in southern Illinois for May 25th. A distance of 623 miles! The only reason I took a seat so far away is my wife has family there and all other seats surrounding Oklahoma are full. Was it this bad on the paper test?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. I will refrain from any complaints whatsoever..:laugh:
No, the paper test was always a "land of plenty"....never any issues with finding your closest testing location. I wonder if there will be a Thomson Prometric testing center expansion??? ....in the future.

I posed a silly question....:thumbdown: I wonder if the MCAT will be offered at University computer labs one day...??????

So I waited till today to try and get a seat in Oklahoma for the MCAT. This being my first time taking the test I was completly unaware of the tremendous lack of space. Needless to say all date are full in Oklahoma through June and since I wanted to be in the first set of Osteopathic applications this June I took a seat in southern Illinois for May 25th. A distance of 623 miles! The only reason I took a seat so far away is my wife has family there and all other seats surrounding Oklahoma are full. Was it this bad on the paper test?
you'll be all ready for the usmle step 2 that requires you to go to testing centers

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been trying all day to get my date for July but when I go on to register it wont let me schedule past May. How did you already get a June date? I thought it opens at midnight!?

I have been trying all day to get my date for July but when I go on to register it wont let me schedule past May. How did you already get a June date? I thought it opens at midnight!?

I got a May 25th date, one of the last as I hear it the June dates won't open till febuary 17th I think according to mcat registration site.

The June/July dates will open up on different dates based on geographical location of the desired test site.

Oh, what the crap. I printed out a sheet a few months ago that said it was opening tonight. But now that I look on the website it is a different page. I found mine in the book:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials.pdf

Here is the link for a more detailed one for anyone who wants to know:
http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/registration.htm

Well, I stayed up late for it and I have been checking all day for nothing. I should have known they would change it on me, those fickle AAMC people. *shaking my fist in the air* Thanks for the heads up, I would have stayed up til 2 waiting just so I wouldnt have to drive hours away for another location.

I think i might have you beat, I have to travel 1,192 mi from AUA to MIA to take the exam

So you must be the person who took my last seat in Illinois (where I live and tried to sign up for a seat), but apparently all the seats in every testing center in Illinois were full for the day I wanted to take the MCAT, so I am going to Nebraska to take it (May 25th)

You beat my distance (575 mi), but how many international borders will you cross? I traveled through 4 countries to take it.

Wow. I will refrain from any complaints whatsoever..:laugh:
No, the paper test was always a "land of plenty"....never any issues with finding your closest testing location. I wonder if there will be a Thomson Prometric testing center expansion??? ....in the future.

I tried 2 weeks after opening to get my test location for the August 06 mcat and it was full on paper.... mind you my center was quite in demand.

I took the Jan 27th MCAT and I signed up for a Dallas, TX MCAT on May 25th. Isn't that closer than where the OP signed up for?

It's been bad ever since it opened. I waited a long time (2 weeks or so) after AAMC let the Jan people sign up again but at least it's somewhere close (undergrad is UT Austin).

I fear what will happen once Jan scores are released. Then, it's summer or later for anyone still pondering.

... Was it this bad on the paper test?

:eek: No - it wasn't! The worst I heard of was a guy who signed up late who had to drive from where we live (the middle of nowhere Texas) to San Antonio (about 200 miles).

I know this is growing pains (from paper to CBT) but I sure hope they get this mess sorted out quickly.

What good is taking the test 20 times a year IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL 1000 miles, 3 states, a plane, bus and pack mule to get there???

(... and the daggum test is "broke" when you get there!) *grumble, complain*

Yeah I agree, it's really ridiculous! I for one will be at my computer tomorrow to ensure I get a June seat. I'm curious to know if my using a mac computer will cause any issues with registration....

I know this is growing pains (from paper to CBT) but I sure hope they get this mess sorted out quickly.

What good is taking the test 20 times a year IF YOU HAVE TO TRAVEL 1000 miles, 3 states, a plane, bus and pack mule to get there???

(... and the daggum test is "broke" when you get there!) *grumble, complain*

This is a main concern of mine I hear the test is seriouly screwed up. Traveling such a long distance I hope it is all fixed by that time.