Beating the odds: How the hell did I get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MilkmanAl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a thread for all of us successful applicants who got accepted despite some glaring deficiencies. Maybe this'll give all of you who don't have a 4.3/46 and a rec letter from the Surgeon General some hope!

My stats, 3.15/35 with a 2.89 BCPM at the time of application. I imagine many schools questioned my clinical experience, as well, even though I think I can make a damn strong argument for why being a pharmacy tech is as good as or better than the majority of hospital jobs and volunteer positions most people slog through where applicable experience is concerned.

Members don't see this ad.

We sound similar. 3.07 uGPA, 2.93 uBCPM and an allo acceptance. My master's degree, teaching experience, 12 in Verbal and 13 in Bio pulled me through despite my ridiculously low undergrad GPA.

My MDApps

i think im an example of an 'average' student in the scores department, but 'below average' in the scientific background area.

i had something like a 3.6 when i was accepted and a 31 on the mcat, but my degree was a bachelor of fine arts, which i actually took at an art school so i could avoid science and math classes :p

i went back to school and picked up the required classes (i was a full time student for this for only two semesters), and did some clinical and reseach volunteering, and i guess it helped. i used my artiness to get a spot running art groups at a hospital.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I'd make a thread for all of us successful applicants who got accepted despite some glaring deficiencies. Maybe this'll give all of you who don't have a 4.3/46 and a rec letter from the Surgeon General some hope!

My stats, 3.15/35 with a 2.89 BCPM at the time of application. I imagine many schools questioned my clinical experience, as well, even though I think I can make a damn strong argument for why being a pharmacy tech is as good as or better than the majority of hospital jobs and volunteer positions most people slog through where applicable experience is concerned.

Congrats on all your hardowrk paying off. Glad pursuing your physcis major didnt hurt you in the end, good luck as a doctor!

I got a 28 on my MCAT and got in. It's not "game over" if you don't get a 30.

if a school reports a median gpa of 3.6 from matriculants, half of them got BELOW 3.6. so "low" gpas are just as common as "high" gpas. :hardy:

3.35/29 and a pretty compelling story. From my experience, success in the application cycle is about selling yourself rather than your numbers. I just tried to optimize my application and show adcoms what my strengths were and how those strengths would enrich the med school class and the profession as a whole.

lly
3.35/29 and a pretty compelling story. From my experience, success in the application cycle is about selling yourself rather than your numbers. I just tried to optimize my application and show adcoms what my strengths were and how those strengths would enrich the med school class and the profession as a whole.

I have a 3.2 with a 34 with disadvantaged status maybe i can get some love for some schools.

if a school reports a median gpa of 3.6 from matriculants, half of them got BELOW 3.6. so "low" gpas are just as common as "high" gpas. :hardy:

a little birdy told me there might be a positive skew

edit: and by positive skew I actually mean negative skew.

Would you really qualify it as "beating the odds"? You applying to 28 med schools and *thankfully* got into one. But most people don't get in the first time not because they're not good enough, but are too cocky about the process.

Regardless, congratulations on your acceptance!

my gpa was good (3.83 overall, 3.71 bcmp) but i had a 25 on the mcat..i was accepted to 2 of the 4 schools i applied to and waitlisted at 1..guess it isn't all about the numbers. :)

Would you really qualify it as "beating the odds"? You applying to 28 med schools and *thankfully* got into one. But most people don't get in the first time because they're not good enough, they don't get in because they are too cocky about the process.

I think you make a good point. I know at least a few people who if they applied to the right schools might have gotten multiple acceptances rather then 1 or 2, but many people assume having good numbers and/or a few good unique ECs will get them a shoe in, in schools that are reach schools and don't add a good mix of non top 20 schools to balance out the top tier schools on their list.

Then there are those who apply to schools they consider safeties never trying for some other schools that might have accepted them if they'd just looked better for schools that might be a proper fit for them. I could go on about this, but these are just some examples of what you've pointed out.

Would you really qualify it as "beating the odds"? You applying to 28 med schools and *thankfully* got into one. But most people don't get in the first time not because they're not good enough, but are too cocky about the process.

I dunno. I think my GPA was low enough that no matter how wisely I applied, I was at a serious disadvantage. I know I wasn't completely naive in my school selections, but if I had the application process to do over, I definitely would have changed things up a bit. Those nearly IS-only schools and GW and Georgetown would not have been on my list.

I went into the process with "If I can get an interview, I'm probably in." as my philosophy. I interview very well, but my experience at Arkansas was truly incredible. I drew interviewers who asked easy questions, and I had an unbelievable story for them to remember me by. The day could not have gone better. If I'd had anything less than a spectacular interview, I really don't think I would've been accepted. I mean, the stars aligned and hell froze over for me to have an interview that good, and I was still waitlisted.

Thanks for the congratulations! I definitely plan on making the most of my opportunity.

my gpa was good (3.83 overall, 3.71 bcmp) but i had a 25 on the mcat..i was accepted to 2 of the 4 schools i applied to and waitlisted at 1
You, sir, are the man. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You picked UCSF. Congrats man!!! I know it was a difficult choice buy you picked a great med school regardless :) .

As george carlin says

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider than that

Good job milkman, you're an inspiration to me:thumbup:

lly

I have a 3.2 with a 34 with disadvantaged status maybe i can get some love for some schools.

Disadvantaged or URM? Either way it will help.. not only do I know a guy who got a full ride with a 3.0 GPA & 30 MCAT & URM, but they got a yearly stipend as well. So its definitely possible.

Congratulations. I can tell you first hand GPA and MCAT aren't the only factor... .To me it seems like marketing.... I must be a bad marketer!

Congratulations

Just check out my MDApps.
MCAT = 26
GPA = 3.45
BCPM = 3.28
Total Schools = 3

It happens. Low numbers are NOT a deal breaker, despite what SDN likes you to believe. :)

1.89 my first semester freshman year... academic probation and all.

now - 4 allo acceptances

(3.5 (after post bac) & 32)

congrats to all who beat the system!

Such a happy thread :)

wow some shocking numbers on here.

now - 4 allo acceptances

Wow...you have given me hope

once you get an acceptance, the numbers don't matter anymore. whether you were a 3.8/38 student or a 3.1/27 student, we're all subject to getting spanked by the rigors of medical school now. :D

but either way, congrats to all of you!

i've never be the one to give a **** about people's "stats." i feel like people's worths shouldn't get quantified by a gpa and test score, and trust the judgment of the many experiences ad coms and administrators around the country (except for the dean at UF - what a d-bag).

once you get an acceptance, the numbers don't matter anymore. whether you were a 3.8/38 student or a 3.1/27 student, we're all subject to getting spanked by the rigors of medical school now. :D

but either way, congrats to all of you!

i've never be the one to give a **** about people's "stats." i feel like people's worths shouldn't get quantified by a gpa and test score, and trust the judgment of the many experiences ad coms and administrators around the country (except for the dean at UF - what a d-bag).

The last semester I became a lazy bum anyway. it was the best feeling ever just skipping finals. :p

now - 4 allo acceptances

great job!
i'm in the same boat. what kind of ECs did you have? and where all did you get in?

I dunno. I think my GPA was low enough that no matter how wisely I applied, I was at a serious disadvantage. I know I wasn't completely naive in my school selections, but if I had the application process to do over, I definitely would have changed things up a bit. Those nearly IS-only schools and GW and Georgetown would not have been on my list.

I went into the process with "If I can get an interview, I'm probably in." as my philosophy. I interview very well, but my experience at Arkansas was truly incredible. I drew interviewers who asked easy questions, and I had an unbelievable story for them to remember me by. The day could not have gone better. If I'd had anything less than a spectacular interview, I really don't think I would've been accepted. I mean, the stars aligned and hell froze over for me to have an interview that good, and I was still waitlisted.

Thanks for the congratulations! I definitely plan on making the most of my opportunity.

You, sir, are the man. Best of luck!

Why do you say GW would not have been on your list if you could do it again?

Some information that is missing is 1.what you think got you accepted (e.g., post-bacc, special EC, connected recommendation, etc), 2. Your URM status, and 3. Whether you got into a US allo, a DO, or a Carib school.

This is the perfect time for a motivational thread. Thank you!! :D:thumbup:

Why do you say GW would not have been on your list if you could do it again?
They screen like crazy and have extremely expensive secondary fees. There's no way my GPA could make the cut. I like the school just fine, if that's what you're wondering. The same goes for Georgetown.
Some information that is missing is 1.what you think got you accepted (e.g., post-bacc, special EC, connected recommendation, etc), 2. Your URM status, and 3. Whether you got into a US allo, a DO, or a Carib school.
1. My MCAT score and interview got me in. There's no doubt about it.
2. I'm as white and pasty as they come.
3. I got accepted to a U.S. allopathic school: University of Arkansas.

Disadvantaged or URM? Either way it will help.. not only do I know a guy who got a full ride with a 3.0 GPA & 30 MCAT & URM, but they got a yearly stipend as well. So its definitely possible.

:rolleyes:

28 MCAT, 3.6 GPA, I got in because of my grade trend and my extracurriculars I think. University of Cincinnati baby! :)

You guys are an inspiration. Yesterday I was all depressed because I realized that when I started college my plan was to study for the MCAT this year and take the exam April of 09 and applying to med school that June. Because of "time and unforseen occurences" that won't be happening for another 3 years. Which I'm definitely okay with. But knowing that there are people that don't have a 3.6/30 MCAT getting into med school gives me hope.

Speaking of long shots...

This does not related to med school, but speaks in a very real way to respond to the guns on this forum who belittle others.

True story.

I was in the bottom 1/4 of my HS class w/ >1200 SATs. I ended up at a local CC within the SUNY system.

18 months later, I had transfer admission as a JUNIOR at Yale (#1 USNWR that year), Dartmouth, UVA (OOS), UNC-CH (OOS), BC and everything in SUNY. Yale actually offered 30% academic scholarship. All of my credits transferred except 2 accounting classes not accepted by the Ivy schools. And no, I'm not URM in the least.

If I had a dime for every person that told me not to bother because there was no way an Ivy would take CC credits, I could have paid the rest of my tuition. I set the establishment on its ass to the point that the New York Times actually wrote an article about it (PM me and I will send it).

Yes, low numbers can make it harder for you. Still, the MSAR shows that even the top schools are taking some 8s. Be confident in yourself and you can be the one.

I'm going forward without the magic 30 that is so heralded on this forum (29). Let's see where it takes me.

This does not related to med school, but speaks in a very real way to respond to the guns on this forum who belittle others.

True story.

I was in the bottom 1/4 of my HS class w/ >1200 SATs. I ended up at a local CC within the SUNY system.

18 months later, I had transfer admission as a JUNIOR at Yale (#1 USNWR that year), Dartmouth, UVA (OOS), UNC-CH (OOS), BC and everything in SUNY. Yale actually offered 30% academic scholarship. All of my credits transferred except 2 accounting classes not accepted by the Ivy schools. And no, I'm not URM in the least.

If I had a dime for every person that told me not to bother because there was no way an Ivy would take CC credits, I could have paid the rest of my tuition. I set the establishment on its ass to the point that the New York Times actually wrote an article about it (PM me and I will send it).

Yes, low numbers can make it harder for you. Still, the MSAR shows that even the top schools are taking some 8s. Be confident in yourself and you can be the one.

I'm going forward without the magic 30 that is so heralded on this forum (29). Let's see where it takes me.

that is an awesome story! i wish you luck! :D

True story.

Harvard has been taking CC transfers for decades. Is this really news? Are you claiming somehow that you were a trailblazer in this?

The average matriculant MCAT is now somewhere around 31+ (I believe). No "magic" involved. Your 29 is below average - that's all. Hopefully your grades are average or better (3.7+).

Good luck.

3.8/3.8 BCMP/25 MCAT/ BA is Psych. Accepted to UAB. I had 2 years research, lots of volunteering, shadowing (over 100 hours), lots of leadership positions, and EC's.. so i think my overall application overshadowed the MCAT.

It can and does happen, so for all of you guys who have a blemish, keep the faith and be confident in interviews, it will work out!

Good luck to all this app cycle!

It seems like everyone with a story had a high gpa and low mcat. My concern is the other way around. 35 with a 3.58 but a 3.18 science gpa that is killing me :(. Any stories like that?