Beavers Unite!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sara3426

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holla!
just wanted to say hi to all my fellow MIT beavers who are applying this season. provide a little support system, as it were. it seems that classes before us haven't gotten as much love as they deserve from the whole process, am i right? or maybe our lame premed advising has just failed to instill me with confidence. what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Haha your mascot is the beaver?

Almost as bad as Quakers.. :( (Yes, the guy on the oatmeal box)

Members don't see this ad :)
str8flexed said:

I think a highschool from around here had the mascot "The Fighting Quakers", which really makes no sense at all if you think about it. :cool:

str8flexed said:

Can I be an honorary beaver on account of my username? btw My highschool mascot was the "fighting quakers" go figure.

Severus said:
I think a highschool from around here had the mascot "The Fighting Quakers", which really makes no sense at all if you think about it. :cool:

heh, didn't see your post. Though my highschool was in DC not PA

sidwell friends represent

Rafa said:
Holla, Beev checking in. Good luck on your app Sara. Are you hitting up the top 25?
http://web.mit.edu/career/www/preprof/2005top25.pdf

9/25. how embarassing, dude! at least the rest of mine are schools NO ONE at mit would apply to, considering i hate the majority of our premeds. although, i doubt their annoyingness is an mit-concentrated phenomenon. it's just premeds everywhere.

Another beaver here for ya Sara.

Looks like I am applying to most of those schools in the list. I think you're right about the whole premed thing in general but there are plenty of decent non-annoying premeds out there.

I hope at least

I have to admit that the beaver mascot may not have been the best idea in the world.

OMG, "beavers unite." Must... stop... laughing... :laugh:

i too am disappointed with this thread's subject matter after being tantalized by the title.... so i while i have the conch i just want to say that i love anyone who has seen the imax beavers movie. or has heard the noise that beavers make. incredible creatures.

ok, sorry for the double post, but i'm doing you a favor when i tell you to watch this

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband is a beaver grad student and we're both GRTs. Can I be an honorary beav?

cosine secant tangent sine

nuff said?

;)

good luck guys.

XildUpNawth said:
My husband is a beaver grad student and we're both GRTs. Can I be an honorary beav?

hey, where are you guys GRTs?

XildUpNawth said:
MacGregor

oh, sorry dude ;)

i feel like this thread isn't taking off. no one even wanted to do the beaver call.

which is a particular shame since i'm sitting here at work trying to knock off at least a few of the 18 something secondaries i have waiting. i just finished one and went to check my email and there was a new one waiting. swear to god. just...can't...get...ahead...

ltrain said:
oh, sorry dude ;)

i feel like this thread isn't taking off. no one even wanted to do the beaver call.

Yeah, it's pretty tough on the students, what with being forced to have a single and live on Mem Drive. And they get pretty lonely without all that vermin they have to keep them company on East campus. Not to mention the horrible effects of a lack of keg parties and the ensuing vomitous glaze on their floors and toilets. Yeah, MacGregor is awful. ;)

XildUpNawth said:
Yeah, it's pretty tough on the students, what with being forced to have a single and live on Mem Drive. And they get pretty lonely without all that vermin they have to keep them company on East campus. Not to mention the horrible effects of a lack of keg parties and the ensuing vomitous glaze on their floors and toilets. Yeah, MacGregor is awful. ;)

Hey, are you high rise or low rise? And don't forget, poor MacG folks don't get to have wonderful midnight fire drills weekly, a la Simmons :^)

sara3426 said:
Holla!
just wanted to say hi to all my fellow MIT beavers who are applying this season. provide a little support system, as it were. it seems that classes before us haven't gotten as much love as they deserve from the whole process, am i right? or maybe our lame premed advising has just failed to instill me with confidence. what do you guys think?

Owls eat Beavers!!!!!...just not in the lame rankings :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Rafa said:
Hey, are you high rise or low rise? And don't forget, poor MacG folks don't get to have wonderful midnight fire drills weekly, a la Simmons :^)

High rise, but low in the high rise, as in view=Simmons. Our students sort of hate Simmons, because we have to look at it all the time. Plus they have that pesky endowment, while we have to pinch our pennies for our study breaks. We have had a couple late-night winter fire drills, though. It sure is cold standing on Amherst in your PJs in November.

XildUpNawth said:

okay okay, well at least you seem to like it...

to each his own.

personally, i'm happy keeping the hell away from mit in general. it has to be an interesting experience being a grt without having gone there. i have a friend who went to harvard for undergrad who's a grt in mccormick. she was completely amazed when she started that everyone worked all the time and didn't sleep. uh, yeah...

ltrain said:
okay okay, well at least you seem to like it...

to each his own.

personally, i'm happy keeping the hell away from mit in general. it has to be an interesting experience being a grt without having gone there. i have a friend who went to harvard for undergrad who's a grt in mccormick. she was completely amazed when she started that everyone worked all the time and didn't sleep. uh, yeah...

I love my students. They are awesome! They do work all the time and don't sleep much, but that's how my undergrad school was so it wasn't a shocker. They love to cook and are really supportive of one another. They're really mature, and I think I am the luckiest GRT at MIT. I've heard crazy stories from other GRTs but never seen anything remotely unsettling from my students, other than filth. Maybe they're just sneaky? Harvard, now that's another story. ;)

If I went to Caltech, I can post on this thread, right?

After all, we're Beavers, too.....plus we're smarter :p