Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Because Misery Loves Company

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by shikki79, Jul 11, 2002.

1. shikki79

shikki79 Member

Is there anyone else out there in a similar predicament???
    I'm feeling like the world's greatest worst procrastinator. I haven't submitted AMCAS yet, I'm taking the MCAT for the first time in August but I only started studying about 3 weeks ago and I haven't officially requested my recommendations. I know a million industrious premeds are ALREADY receiving secondaries.
    Is there still hope for people like me, who are a little tardy in the whole process??
    If you're a chronic procrastinator too or if you WERE a procrastinator who STILL got into medical school let me know!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

I submitted AMCAS in like early october or something. I only applied to 5 UC's, 5 top 10's, and Georgetown. I turned in the secondaries not very promptly, pretty close to their secondary deadlines. I got 7 interviews, and was put on 4 waitlists, and UCSD and Georgetown both called me this week to accept me.

I would not recommend this course of action. It is very dangerous to be late in this process. I almost paid a very significant price for my sloth.

4. shikki79

shikki79 Member

Hey Diogenes,
    Thanks for the success story!!!! Congratulations too!!!:clap:

5. Doctora Foxy

Medical Student
    Procrastinating is my hobby

Last year:

I Took the April MCATS
    Asked for my LORs in May, but my teachers didn't hand them in til August
    Rewrote my PS during senior year (in September)
    Submitted AMCAS Oct 3
    Sent in secondaries late also...oct/nov/dec
    Got 3 acceptances with not so hot mcat scores

BUT.....2 of those acceptances were 2 weeks ago, and it was TORTURE to go thru this process for so long! Please get your butt in gear and get to it! You can still get in, but for med school, I really think the early bird catches the worm!

As far as your amcas submission, don't worry that you haven't gotten it in yet...you're an August MCATer, so you have a bit more time. Just be sure that it's in and secondaries are in by mid-October....please don't make the mistakes I did!

6. Diogenes

Diogenes Succat

shikki79

I think the point that Foxy and I are both trying to make is that despite the fact that we are both procrastinators and we both got into our top choice schools, we both advise that you do as we say and not as we do. Speaking for myself, I feel rather lucky to have gotten in, especially considering all of the things I did wrong in this process (it is rather a small miracle; I made other mistakes than the ones I've already written).

Turn in everything as early as you can. You'll be better off for it. Just because other people have turned stuff in later and still gotten in does not mean it will work for you. Play it safe. Play it safe.

7. UCLA2000

Attending Physician
    Started studying for the MCAT 3 weeks ago!?

Good luck!