Beckman Scholar vs. clinical/volunteer experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

silverquick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore molecular bio student at one of the top universities. I have been doing research since my high school junior year. I have one single-author paper published, two conference presentations/abstracts and another paper in preparation. I have very little clinical and volunteer experiences. My original plan is to do volunteer works this summer and my junior year.

I just found out I have won the Beckman Scholarship. It is a very prestigious award for bio or chem major. My dilemma is I need to commit 15 months (two summers and one school year) for research. If I accepted this award, then I won't be able to spend quality time for clinical/volunteer works. But I will have the opportunity to publish more papers and I may still be able to do limited shadowing and hospital volunteer works .

If I have decided to apply for MD/PhD program, clinical experiences may be less critical. But I am not totoally sure I want to spend 7/8 years for med school. I also heard first-tier research oriented schools look for students with strong research background but clinical experience is absolutely required for most medical schools.

I realize this is a good problem I need to deal with. If I don't accept it, I may regret later. If I do, I may regret I am forced into MD/PhD track.

I also wonder whether Beckman Scholar carries any weight for med school applications, especially MD only. Any comments or feedbacks will be deeply appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

silverquick said:
I am currently a sophomore molecular bio student at one of the top universities. I have been doing research since my high school junior year. I have one single-author paper published, two conference presentations/abstracts and another paper in preparation. I have very little clinical and volunteer experiences. My original plan is to do volunteer works this summer and my junior year.

I just found out I have won the Beckman Scholarship. It is a very prestigious award for bio or chem major. My dilemma is I need to commit 15 months (two summers and one school year) for research. If I accepted this award, then I won't be able to spend quality time for clinical/volunteer works. But I will have the opportunity to publish more papers and I may still be able to do limited shadowing and hospital volunteer works .

If I have decided to apply for MD/PhD program, clinical experiences may be less critical. But I am not totoally sure I want to spend 7/8 years for med school. I also heard first-tier research oriented schools look for students with strong research background but clinical experience is absolutely required for most medical schools.

I realize this is a good problem I need to deal with. If I don't accept it, I may regret later. If I do, I may regret I am forced into MD/PhD track.

I also wonder whether Beckman Scholar carries any weight for med school applications, especially MD only. Any comments or feedbacks will be deeply appreciated.

What school are you at?...if you don't mind my asking.

you should absolutely take it. just do some good volunteer work for 3-5 hours a week for the next year or so and that can be your clinical experience. schools like clinical experience, but they also like if you have one thing you really go after and are good at and it sounds like that is research for you.

congratulations on all your success, you are in fine shape and good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
modelslashactor said:
you should absolutely take it. just do some good volunteer work for 3-5 hours a week for the next year or so and that can be your clinical experience. schools like clinical experience, but they also like if you have one thing you really go after and are good at and it sounds like that is research for you.

congratulations on all your success, you are in fine shape and good luck!

Thank you for your highly encouraging inputs. I will take the scholarship.

Beckman Scholarships are great. Most of my interviewers were very well aware of it. You will have time to do volunteer work, especially in the summer. It sounds more intense at the start. Definitely go for it, by next year you will be in such a routine that some volunteer work won't be impossible. It is a loose atmosphere and very rewarding. Congratulations, and enjoy Irvine!

One more point i forgot, I was an MD only applicant and also did not want the 7 years for the other. The process was great for me. All of the research based med schools respect Beckman Scholars.

Beckman definitely helps and never hurts. Plus, you get to meet lots of really cool people and its good money and free food :) Honestly though, I think being a Beckman definitely helps your application, MD or MD/PhD

I was a Beckman Scholar. And during that time, I was able to volunteer quite a bit. You won't have any trouble if you budget your time. You can do some volunteer at night or weekends. Congratulations.

Thank you for your inputs. I am very fortunate to win the scholarship. I agree with Med21 that I need to be more disciplined to budget my time for volunteer works. My next challenge is to achieve a reasonable MCAT score so I can target research oriented med schools.