beckman scholar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedjohn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do med schools know what a beckman scholar is?

I only ask because I was wondering if it is well known enough to stand on its own, or should i emphasize it in my secondaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I only ask because I was wondering if it is well known enough to stand on its own, or should i emphasize it in my secondaries.
What the hell is a Beckman Scholar?

I would say if you really can't explain it, do so only for the schools that have Beckman Scholar Programs. It's actually not that famous. Only a handful of schools even recognize it. The schools that seem to have it and have medical schools are:
Boston University
UCLA
U Kentucky
U Minnesota
U Pittsburgh

EDIT Actually I'm wrong. Apparently you just apply to it and some schools have it for certain years and others don't. This is BAD news. I thought schools that participated would always have a recipient. This is only 2005's list. I would say NO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no clue what a beckman scholar is. Best to start EC descriptions with a synopsis of what the program/activity is.

Yeah, like the program I'm up for here....it has the word "scholar" in the title too, but has zero to do with academics (basically it's a school funded tour of Asia). Why they titled it what they did, I have no idea, but it necessitates an explanation to anyone I bring it up with......

I always thought that the Beckman scholar is fairly well known, we have afew at my school.
Don't you get to do a research project and some amount of grant money and conference attendance?
Definitely mention it.

its pretty big at my school, its sponsered by the Beckman Foundation.

They give us $19,300 to fund our research for 2 summers and one year.

I think its more well known in the research/grad school realm, because most of the scholars are geared towards that route.

its pretty big at my school, its sponsered by the Beckman Foundation.

They give us $19,300 to fund our research for 2 summers and one year.

I think its more well known in the research/grad school realm, because most of the scholars are geared towards that route.
Research funding you say? :idea:

$16,000 is a stipend, the remaining 3,300 is for research supplies and travel

It doesn't have a wikipedia page so I'm inclined to think that it's not prestigious enough to stand on its own.

David Beckman is a famous soccer player who played in the U.K. until he was recruited to the L.A. Galaxy for $250 million over five years in salary and endorsements. He is married to "Posh" Spice of the Spice Girls.

A Beckman scholar is therefore a student who is so good at an academic subject that they can be expected to singlehandedly increase the interest of that subject in a country where interest was below minimal.

David Beckman is a famous soccer player who played in the U.K. until he was recruited to the L.A. Galaxy for $250 million over five years in salary and endorsements. He is married to "Posh" Spice of the Spice Girls.

A Beckman scholar is therefore a student who is so good at an academic subject that they can be expected to singlehandedly increase the interest of that subject in a country where interest was below minimal.

Bend it like a Beckman Scholar?

Hey!! Were you at the symposium two weeks ago?? I put it in my EC's as "I was offered one of the two Beckman scholars fellowships awarded at (my institution) in 2007. This was a competitive fellowship open to the departments of biological sciences, chemistry, neuroscience, and bioengineering. The fellowship funds in-depth research for a period of 15 months, including two research symposiums and culminating in a publication-caliber research paper."

I wasn't sure everybody would know what it was because it has only been around for 10 years - but I don't think it would hurt explaining it - and maybe the selection process as your school - even if some of the places you apply to have heard of it...

BTW - Arnold O. Beckman was the man!

My friend received a Beckman Scholarship as well as four merit based scholarship offers! Med schools definitely know how competitive it is. You could explain a bit if you have the space but I assure you all the research med schools know exactly what it is!

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd bump to see if anyone had any experiences with this in the past couple of years.

At my Stanford interview, I was asked what this was. They even have a Beckman Building on their campus. So, I would venture to say that most people have no clue what this means, even if it is prestigious.