become a dentist in usa help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gazz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody!!
i am a student in university of Debrecen in hungary and i am there for my first year and i am studying dentistry!
i have been searching the net to find the right info about how to become a dentist in the us after graduating from my university
do dentists take the USMLE PART ONE AND PART 2 or is there a different exam for dentists?
do you have to go for dental school for another 2 years even if you already finished your degree overseas??
and is the procedure simpler for a foreign dentist or a doctor??
please help me because this is my dream and its very confusing out there
i need your help
thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

hi everybody!!
i am a student in university of Debrecen in hungary and i am there for my first year and i am studying dentistry!
i have been searching the net to find the right info about how to become a dentist in the us after graduating from my university
do dentists take the USMLE PART ONE AND PART 2 or is there a different exam for dentists?
do you have to go for dental school for another 2 years even if you already finished your degree overseas??
and is the procedure simpler for a foreign dentist or a doctor??
please help me because this is my dream and its very confusing out there
i need your help
thank you in advance

You have a long way buddy, and lots of reading is required on your part! To summarize, finish your dental program, pass the NBDE (not the USMLE), do a 2-yr program here in the US (advanced standing, international, or specialty in certain states) and pass the clinical exam that is approved by the state you plan to live and work in. There are some other less successful routes to licensure, the description above is the path most of us took/are taking. Good luck :thumbup:

hey thanks for your help
but i have few more questions!
how hard is it to pass the nbde, i mean can you pass it from the first time if you are a good student
do they look for passing grade or the highest grade possible?
and then when you take 2 more years in american university do you specialize or just repeat your last 2 years in your previous university?
and do you think i can make it or is it impossible?
thank you so very much

Members don't see this ad :)
hey thanks for your help
but i have few more questions!
how hard is it to pass the nbde, i mean can you pass it from the first time if you are a good student
do they look for passing grade or the highest grade possible?
and then when you take 2 more years in american university do you specialize or just repeat your last 2 years in your previous university?
and do you think i can make it or is it impossible?
thank you so very much

hey dude..
i also studied in hungary,but in budapest. the last thing i want is to break your spirit but here is the plan for u:

1)get good grades! and try to survive the difficult first 2 years/
2) i dont know debrecen but i can tell u that the for NBDE part 1 you will be more than ready. the level that the university in the first 3 years in biochemistry physiology,anatomy , microbiology, patholgy is very very high level.
3) if i were u i would really concentrate on have a strong foundation and take the exam after the 3rd year( study 2months in the summer! it is enough)
4)many people from all over the world did and are doing this long process.
it is long, hard and requires alot of money. you have just started! enjoy your dental school years in hungary and start planning it when u strat 3rd year! good luck :)

hey thanks for your help
i have one more question
can you take the first part of NDBE in hungary or do you have to travel to USA
thank you very much

hey thanks for your help
i have one more question
can you take the first part of NDBE in hungary or do you have to travel to USA
thank you very much
u can take it in US and Canada only

so are you allowed to travel all the way to th us just to take the NBDE even if you just finished your 3rd year at the university
i thought you can take it at some test centers in europe like they do with the USMLE exams!!
do other students do it that way??

I also have a similar question:
I study dentistry in europe. Can I take the NBDE part 1 exam after my 3rd year? is it allowed (I thought that only graduates can take it)?

for starters How old are you ? because if you are over 50 and want to start all over again then you are ****ed .,. i recommend dont have kids and a job thats worst than aids , just study through part 1 and 2 , get into a Idp take wreb or nerb whatever they waNT YOU TO GO THROUGH ,then law and ethics exams , work for a dental office the first 2 years you are out of school , dont get hooked on hookers and blow , then you will be just fine . :thumbup:

i'm just nice becuase i'm telling you the truth raw and cut just like it should be :laugh:

so if you dont like it **** off!!!!