Becoming a CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you become a CA resident after a year if you are only going there for med school purposes?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes - switch drivers license, car registration and register to vote, and do not maintain residence in another state (by returning there over vacations or keeping property there) and after 1 year you will be a CA resident for tuition purposes.

The harder part is you still have to get past the admissions process to begin with though...(but maybe u already have)

si, senor. at least, i know it worked for undergrad (i went to ucla and i'm a ca resident - had many friends from out of the country who were charged out of state for freshman year and in state starting sophomore). i can't imagine why it would be any different for grad school. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you can. Just be sure you change over your license, and everything by the "residency determination date" for the start of your second year (should be sometime during the summer/fall of your first year). I posted a more detailed answer about this on the UC Applicants Updates thread a couple of days ago. It is on the last page, or the next to the last page.

awesome!

thanks for the info.

oh baby. only 1 year of extra tuition, then dirt cheap CA prices.

nice.

anyone know what other states this works in?? As in- could you do this at.. Pitt, UVA, U Mich??