Becoming a California resident for residency in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fed Meat

Fed Metal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've lived in California for two years in the past, and my girlfriend is from San Diego County.

I think I'd like to try to do my residency in California and was wondering whether it would be beneficial to become a California resident before I started medical school?

This would really only be an issue if I was going to a private school, where my official state of residence wouldn't matter.

Just wondering if it would help me out in the match to be able to say I was a Californian.

I was thinking about just moving out there for a few months, getting a job, and then leaving to start school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think in order to legally establish residency, you have to live in a state for more than "a few months." I don't think it's possible to establish residency without living there for at least 6 or 12 months in order to be considered a resident by the school.

You would have to be paying California state taxes, and have a legal residence and state ID.
What you could do is find someone who would allow you to use their address as your own for the residency match process as your permanent address.

Otherwise I don't know what you could do. Try looking up the regulations on the CA DMV website or something.

SaraL124 said:
I think in order to legally establish residency, you have to live in a state for more than "a few months." I don't think it's possible to establish residency without living there for at least 6 or 12 months in order to be considered a resident by the school.

I'll look up the state regulations, I guess. I'm not concerned with gaining in-state tuition, though. As I stated in my previous post, I'd only do this if I went to a private school.

I'm doing this strictly for acquiring a residency.

And all you have to do to become a resident in most states is to switch your license and registration over and fill out a form.

i have a friend who just moved to california (where i am a resident of, but born here) from washington to go to school (UG) and he said something like you needed 2 years of residency (without going back to your hometown, although he was a little unsure how that worked) to become a california resident

i could be mistaken as my only source is my friend, but i figured he would know since he probably looked into it before moving here