Jan 12, 2020
Status
Pharmacist
If someone were a pharmacist making a career shift and the pre-requisite coursework rolled over, would he/she still need to obtain additional clinical experiences and shadowing hours? Are podiatry schools willing to accept non-traditional students?

DexterMorganSK

Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2016
NYC
Status
Podiatry Student
About the Ads
OP
A
Jan 12, 2020
Status
Pharmacist
Pod programs do accept nontrad students but you need to complete all the admissions requirements like any other applicant. You can read more here: https://www.aacpm.org/becoming-a-podiatric-physician/admissions/

Why are you switching careers?
I have seen the academic requirements, but I was wondering if there were any recommended extracurricular experiences? For instance, med schools recommend time as an ER scribe or research experience. Do podiatry programs require that as well? Does time as an inpatient pharmacist count for anything?

Aug 11, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
What did you transition from? What type of clinical extracurriculars did you have?
Was a nurse for close to a decade. The rest was basic experiences that I enjoyed doing.

Apr 5, 2018
Status
Podiatry Student
I have seen the academic requirements, but I was wondering if there were any recommended extracurricular experiences? For instance, med schools recommend time as an ER scribe or research experience. Do podiatry programs require that as well? Does time as an inpatient pharmacist count for anything?
To my knowledge, experience is experience when it comes to experience. They have 2 categories: Experience (medically) and podiatric experience. As long as you shadow a podiatrist (minimum like 10-15 hours), you'll be sufficient in the podiatric experience category. Anything medically is experience whether it's volunteer or work.

Podiatry isn't like PA school where they request like what 1k+ hours of EMT or Scribe experience to be qualified.

Reactions: DexterMorganSK
About the Ads