Becoming a dental hygienist in the US or Canada as an international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Doom2021

Reaction score
Hello. I am thinking about becoming a dental hygienist in North America. Thus, I have conducted research on the application process, but so far, I am fruitless to find any Citizenship requirements. Can you please tell me :

1)Can I even apply to this programme in these countries with my foreign high school diploma?
2)Do I need to possess any status of residence?

I will be more than grateful for any help provided!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Most programs will accept international/permanent resident students, given that you have completed pre-requisite courses with satisfactory grades and met their other admission requirements. You still need to email the school to verify. However, finding a job as a hygienist after getting an A.S/B.S degree in DH in the U.S might be hard (you will face a hard time finding a work-visa sponsor). You might even want to consult international student advisors at schools to verify if OPT can be granted for dental hygienists.

Hi,
Most programs will accept international/permanent resident students, given that you have completed pre-requisite courses with satisfactory grades and met their other admission requirements. You still need to email the school to verify. However, finding a job as a hygienist after getting an A.S/B.S degree in DH in the U.S might be hard (you will face a hard time finding a work-visa sponsor). You might even want to consult international student advisors at schools to verify if OPT can be granted for dental hygienists.
Thank you