Aug 16, 2016
Status
Attending Physician
People in residency programs know that most DO schools are easier to enter than first-level MD schools. That said, do well on your COMLEX and knock out your clinical rotations, which emphasize surgery and your specialized area as much as your program will allow, and you have a decent chance.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
How much harder is it to become a specialized surgeon after attending DO school? Vs MD? What are the set backs etc

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Er... the setbacks pertain to the tired MD vs DO debate. And it's difficult to quantify how hard it is to become a specialized surgeon as DO. This depends on matching into a competitive surgical residency which in turn depends on clinical year performance, USMLEs (MD residencies don't care about COMLEX), good letters etc

Unfortunately, DO clinical rotations are significantly far worse than MD clinical rotations. Again, these reasons are discussed repeatedly in past threads

Reactions: Dr. Death

DocMcMommy

5+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2014
The DO forum has a ton of active threads discussing DO rotations and residencies and so on. I'm also sure that there's some on this forum if you go back even just a little. I'm not suggesting these in a snarky way, just suggesting where you can find a heap of information and opinions regarding this topic.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
How much harder is it to become a specialized surgeon after attending DO school? Vs MD? What are the set backs etc

With good USMLE scores, you can certainly become a general surgeon. Fellowships are possible thereafter with a strong residency performance at an academic center.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
About 5% of my grads go into General Surgery. This compares to about 10-15% from MD schools. If you look at some other DO school match lists, you'll get the idea. Harder, but not impossible, and it sure seems like it's a surgery thing, rather than a med school thing.

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Please for all that is holy use the dang search function +pissed+ Can we please have the mods make it take up half the page?