Becoming a Fellow of the AAFP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustPlainBill

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one become a Fellow of the AAFP?

For the ACOFP (American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians), you need a sponsor, have to attend 6 conferences of which 3 can be joint AOA/ACOFP and need to write some sort of scientific paper. Depending on the "power" of your sponsor, it's mainly a shoo-in type of deal and more of a good ole' boy type of thing -- don't piss people off.

How does the AAFP work?

Members don't see this ad.

How does one become a Fellow of the AAFP?

For the ACOFP (American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians), you need a sponsor, have to attend 6 conferences of which 3 can be joint AOA/ACOFP and need to write some sort of scientific paper. Depending on the "power" of your sponsor, it's mainly a shoo-in type of deal and more of a good ole' boy type of thing -- don't piss people off.

How does the AAFP work?

It is detailed on the AAFP website.

They use a point system, and you need a specific amount of total points to become a fellow. The points are in community service, academics, research, administration and any combination to get to the total is acceptable.

Some folks think that any board certified family physician can put those letters after their name (FAAFP or FACOFP) but that's not the case. What real benefit does being a fellow give you?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is detailed on the AAFP website.

They use a point system, and you need a specific amount of total points to become a fellow. The points are in community service, academics, research, administration and any combination to get to the total is acceptable.

You need a 100 points to become a fellow
Passing the ABFM board is like 10 points, so after that you got 90 points to go!

Bragging rights, essentially.

Seems to be a lot of that going on in medicine -- I just got a letter from the AAFP telling me my membership had lapsed --- and when they talked about benefits, the major one seemed to be 'representing my point of view as a family medicine physician'.....Well, ok -- but I've seen some of the positions they take that strike me as galactically stupid and full of liberal political pandering, even moreso than the AAP, so I'm having a hard time coming up with a good reason for keeping my membership, other than the journals.....can someone help me out here with valid reasons to keep this membership up....I mean real ones.

It's like when I asked what the difference was between DOs and MDs -- One mentor said DOs treat the whole patient (newsflash -- so do MDs), another sent me this really exhaustive powerpoint presentation on "osteopathic family medicine" which was really just rural family medicine in Colorado and touted the presentation as representing the osteopathic difference (newflash -- MDs can also do rural medicine, sparky).....and the next mentor chided me that I was thinking too much like an allopath for wanting to do a more extensive workup on a hospitalized patient, which struck me as using 'the osteopathic difference' as an excuse for less than optimal medicine while still meeting the standard of care......so I find myself questioning just exactly why I want to be a part of the AOA and the ACOFP if all we're going to do is sit around and emphasize the 'osteopathic difference'.....

In my mind the two are similar arguments -- realize I'm post weekend call and not really pleased with the hospital/group right now.....help me out here...

Seems to be a lot of that going on in medicine -- I just got a letter from the AAFP telling me my membership had lapsed --- and when they talked about benefits, the major one seemed to be 'representing my point of view as a family medicine physician'

membership is a little different than being a fellow - you are not a fellow of AAFP of you just pay their dues, you are just a "member". To be a fellow means filling out the application I mentioned above, and having the necessary 100 points, and being approved. The "benefits", such is the life insurance, journal, etc - all come with being a member. You get NO additional benefits from being a fellow - but you can add the initials to your name and use it on your CV.