Becoming a Flight Surgeon in the USAF after Carib School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wingy007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am attending a Tier 5 med school in the summer and starting their 5.5 year Pre Med to MD program. I know the risks that come with this such as not landing a residency. One option I was looking into was to be a Flight Surgeon in the USAF.

I see many people online mention this option after applying for or "taking" the HPSP Scholarship. Do you need to be granted this scholarship after Med School to go this route? Or can I go in the AF (if the FS slot is open), go through officer training and go on to training to become a FS? Or is this not possible?

Also, I am taking the Pre Med to MD program because I do not have a bachelors.

Members don't see this ad.

Normally I would encourage you to read the stickies and use the search function for this, but I'll refrain. If you go to school in the Carib then you are not able to enter the military as a doctor until you complete residency training.

Us military doesn't really recognize Carrib med school until you finish residency, sorry

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, as a civilian US-IMG in contact with a USAF Med Officer recruiter awaiting residency match outcome, would the Transition/Prelim (IM) year - to - GMO Flight Surgeon tour route be possible (as opposed to completing a 3-yr IM residency first, then going GMO) ?

Also, just as an address to OP (I know it's been years already) but if he/she is a US citizen, the Financial Assistance Program (FAP) is available upon matching into a civilian residency as an IMG, then doing COT, or Commissioned Officer Training commences upon completing residency and before the first active duty assignment.

I plan on applying to Aerospace Medicine residencies in the future. I see it's an option for the USUHS and HPSP route, so thought I'd ask. I will be asking my recruiter as well, but it's a new assignment for her and she's just learning about all this as well. Thanks in advance.

Hello all, as a civilian US-IMG in contact with a USAF Med Officer recruiter awaiting residency match outcome, would the Transition/Prelim (IM) year - to - GMO Flight Surgeon tour route be possible (as opposed to completing a 3-yr IM residency first, then going GMO) ?
Must have an unrestricted license to be a GMO. I would be surprised if they accept a US-IMG physician that is not also BE/BC.

Reactions: 1 user
Must have an unrestricted license to be a GMO. I would be surprised if they accept a US-IMG physician that is not also BE/BC.
Would State license (for example in Hawaii, after completing an intern year (prelim/TY) and passing Step 3 - "unrestricted license"?
But thank you for responding. I'll also be clearing this up with my recruiter, as essentially, upon matching into a residency and commissioning with FAP, I don't yet know the difference with HPSP/USUHS folks as they are able to pursue Flight Surgery training after just a Prelim/TY year.

As for the BE/BC, yes, doing a prelim/TY won't lead to any board certs etc.. was hoping to get a GMO tour to get some experience and network before applying to a subsequent residency.

Would State license (for example in Hawaii, after completing an intern year (prelim/TY) and passing Step 3 - "unrestricted license"?
But thank you for responding. I'll also be clearing this up with my recruiter, as essentially, upon matching into a residency and commissioning with FAP, I don't yet know the difference with HPSP/USUHS folks as they are able to pursue Flight Surgery training after just a Prelim/TY year.

As for the BE/BC, yes, doing a prelim/TY won't lead to any board certs etc.. was hoping to get a GMO tour to get some experience and network before applying to a subsequent residency.
Hawaii requires two years of residency for graduates of Non US/Canada medical schools to apply for an unrestricted license. Hawaii calls it a full, regular license. https://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2018/11/Require-Instruct-App-for-Physician_11.18R.pdf You can have an unrestricted license from any US State to practice as a military physician. It will be easier to join if you complete a residency first and are BE/BC.

Last edited:
Hawaii requires two years of residency for graduates of Non US/Canada medical schools to apply for an unrestricted license. Hawaii calls it a full, regular license. https://cca.hawaii.gov/pvl/files/2018/11/Require-Instruct-App-for-Physician_11.18R.pdf You can have an unrestricted license from any US State to practice as a military physician. It will be easier to join if you complete a residency first and are BE/BC.
Thanks, I'll also share this with my recruiter 👍. Seems a Categ. IM or FM program would be the only route.