Becoming a Hypochondriac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalSonata

Friendly Pre-Med, PM me!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Anyone worried about medical school making them a hypochondriac? I already have a SLIGHT touch of hypochondria, so I'm a bit worried about knowing that much about disease symptoms..

Members don't see this ad.

I have a slight hypochondria specifically for cancer (of any type). I'm interested to see how my mind handles the influx of information on the ways cancer manifests itself... and whether I am liberated by the newly acquired knowledge -- or succumb to my tendencies even more strongly.

Hey,

Anyone worried about medical school making them a hypochondriac? I already have a SLIGHT touch of hypochondria, so I'm a bit worried about knowing that much about disease symptoms..

you're worried about having a disease on worrying about having a disease. :boom:

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a slight hypochondria specifically for cancer (of any type).

I do, too. A bit of family history + a few symptoms + a superficial knowledge of cancer = hypochondrespeciallycarcinogenicism. I assume that further understanding will either enlighten me to stop worrying or encourage me into sneaking into the radiology dept for some free scans. :laugh:

I fear ignoring diseases that I may actually have because my awareness of this med student cliche will make me overcompensate by brushing off all suspicions.

If i decide to go to med school this is something that would probaly bother me at first.

For me its usually my heart, if Im reading/talking about any sort of heart condition my heart starts to feel irregular/murmuring etc.

(I have dropped by the school clinic to have it listened to make sure I didnt actually have a problem)

If I went to med school I would probaly just get an EKG done or something before I went so I would have more concrete evidence for myself that my heart is fine.

I always felt like the knowledge from medical school would purge me of any kind predispositions. Kind of like when people who are uncomfortable with flying but are told that's it's waaay safer than driving.

Not really a concern, no.

I always felt like the knowledge from medical school would purge me of any kind predispositions. Kind of like when people who are uncomfortable with flying but are told that's it's waaay safer than driving.

I'm afraid the worst is probably yet to come. Once you realize how many things can go wrong...

haha yeh I am a hypochondriac when it comes to my heart as well :oops:

We all have a terminal illness. It is often very painful, confusing, and you will have good days and bad days. It can be very mudane but also filled with many wonders. I hate to be the one to tell you this but we are all ultimately suffering from "life". :p

Seriously though I think working in a medical setting will make me feel like I'm constantly being bombarded with deadly microorganisms (which is probably true) and I would imagine it will be tough for me to ever feel "clean".

Seriously though I think working in a medical setting will make me feel like I'm constantly being bombarded with deadly microorganisms (which is probably true) and I would imagine it will be tough for me to ever feel "clean".

:scared: Scary.

Btw - like the quote. Ron Paul was my favorite Republican.

Just make use of the super powered soaps/foams/wipes all over the hospital..

I was weirded out when I was doing an EMT clinical and after listening to a lady's lung sounds she told me to wash my stethoscope because the lady had MRSA. Yay.

Wash your hands a lot, that's what I do. "Out damn spot!"

As I learned in the first quarter of med school, everything leads to cancer. I'm not friggin kidding. Every class has like 15-20% of the material just dedicated to cancer. Am I worried?

yes, yes I am. But my class is among the most fit people I've ever met. So I'm guessing I'm not the only one staying healthy because learning about the alternative can be very scary/shocking/saddening at times.

Though frankly, after Immunology, I'm surprised the lot of us are still breathing... :)

*EDIT*

and also I use the alcohol gel like it's candy for my skin. I swear it feels sweet....

You know you'd think that given the information you are learning that medical students would be more aware right? I went to the bathroom last month in between Immunology classes and I saw two people leave the restroom without washing their hands.

I actually see this at least once a day but it was funny to see it from students who are currently taking Immunology... All that to say, I use a lot of purell and use paper towels to open most doors.

Side note - last week I saw somebody dry off their hands, blow their nose into the paper towel and then use that paper-towel to open the bathroom door. So, I'd advise none of you actually touch the bathroom door handle :)

You'll never get over it. My dad is 70 and he still freaks out about stuff. It only gets worse when you've seen the worst stuff. If it is others then nothing is ever wrong but as soon as it happens to you, your mind goes to worst case scenario.

It's the opposite. Every day you see all of those bloated, lazy people who have no real purpose in life except becoming as dependent as they can on The Man and who, after having established a parasitic relationship with the health care system, call the ambulance at 3AM for what you and I would just call a little gas pain.

And you say to yourself, "Man. Don't they have anything better to do than to come to the Emergency Department for what turn out to be incredibly minor complaints?"