wendywellesley

speller extrodinaire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2004
the giggle pit
Status
i would like to get trained as a medical assistant (or nurses assistant) so i can work full time as one next year while i apply. does anyone know where i can get training in New York and how long the training is? i'm really interested in learning how to draw blood and using EKGs.
or does anyone know if there are any crash/ intense programs where i can become an EMT in a few months over the summer? (again, in New York)

Thanks!

RachelD

10+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Oklahoma City
Status
wendywellesley said:
i would like to get trained as a medical assistant (or nurses assistant) so i can work full time as one next year while i apply. does anyone know where i can get training in New York and how long the training is? i'm really interested in learning how to draw blood and using EKGs.
or does anyone know if there are any crash/ intense programs where i can become an EMT in a few months over the summer? (again, in New York)

Thanks!
I am also looking for a way to get some patient care experience. I checked into the EMT thing at our local community college. They have a 12 week program this summer. The class meets three days a week. It costs about $600.00. You also get 48 hours of experience in the ER and with EMSA.

kc123

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2004
Visit site
Status
Some places will train you to be an MA on the job. I got a job at MGH as an MA with no prior healthcare experience. The supervisor just wanted to hire someone that had a desire to go on in healthcare, whether that be MD, NP, PA, etc. Some of the MAs I worked with had attended Bryman Institute, a year long program in which you learn to be an MA, but that program is very costly...thousands of dollars. So, if you can, try to find a hospital that will train you on the job. Good luck!

EPA7X1

Emergency
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
Status
I also got a position as a patient care assistant when I was a pre-med with no prior experience. I started as a volunteer and worked fairly hard and they hired me.