Becoming a Michigan Resident even though a Californian?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scubadiva

postwhore
7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone who is out of state for Michigan been able to find a way to get around being considered out of state for tuition? The tuition for MSUCOM is absolutely INSANE for out of state residents!!! I was wondering if anyone who was out of state was able to figure out how to become a Michigan resident in order to pay the Michigan state fee instead of the out of state fee. I would love to save about 20k if I was a Michigan resident. thanks for any tips or any advice on this!

scubadiva....hopefully an MSUCOM student next year

Members don't see this ad.

ya gotta live there a while to be considered resident (hence the term)before applying, that was my understanding, at least a year!

If accepted, you can defer for a year and move there. Work for a year, establish residency, and save 20K/year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what the situation is in Michigan, but I know that at some schools, after paying full out-of-state tuition as a MS-I you can become elgible for in-state tuition for the next three years.

If accepted, you can defer for a year and move there. Work for a year, establish residency, and save 20K/year.

True. There's another way you can be qualified as Michigan resident. That is to get married to a Michigan resident. That way your spouse can qualify you for the in-state tuition.

after paying full out-of-state tuition as a MS-I you can become elgible for in-state tuition for the next three years.

NOT true. Without working a year or getting married, you will have to continue paying the out-of-state tuition for the next three years. However, there's one way you can save money for one year. That is, if after you graduate from MSUCOM, and that you decide to do your residency in the state of Michigan, you will be entitled to the in-state tuition fee benefit only for the fourth year of your med school. You are welcome to verify this with your school official. I am pretty sure I am right and know what I am talking about. After all, one of my kids attends MSU as a out-of-state student.

Go luck to you all. MSUCOM is a hell of a med school. It's ranked #4 among ALL med schools, MD and DO schools, in primary care. If you should decide to attend MSUCOM, just be prepare that it works you to death and not a moment of rest.

Thank you for your help!!! I am going to keep doing some more research to find out how and if I can become a Michigan resident.

HMMMMM.....now that I think about it. *down on one knee* Is there any single, male, Michigan residents willing to marry a California girl? Would anyone like to marry me? Thanks. I almost think getting married and divorced to become a Michigan resident is way cheaper than paying the extra 20k a year!

You had me till you mentioned the divorce part.....I'm not Ross Gellar ya know....:D

I almost think getting married and divorced to become a Michigan resident is way cheaper than paying the extra 20k a year!

I am sure this has been thought before. I know you are only kidding. However, the very thought of married/divorced scares me. My only advice is before getting married, be sure you sign a prenuptial agreement. There might be plenty of "gold diggers" out there. If you should unfortunately get stuck with one, I am sure it would cost you a lot more than the money you save in tutition fee.:D

I do not know if you want to go into primary care or specialty fields. There are all kinds of GREAT specialty programs in Michigan. I think it may not be a bad idea to do residency in Michigan and save the fourth year's out-of-state tuition fee. This is especially true for a California girl since all specialty programs are EXTREMELY competitive in California, more so than any other states. I hear the stiff compeition first hand from my daughter who just got accepted to the USC radiology program.:clap:

Congrats to your acceptance to MSUCOM, and good luck. In addition to thinking of saving tuition money, you might want to think about making money. ;) You can work as a scriber/editor while you attend classes. That way you help your classmates and enforce your learning at the same time.