Becoming a New York resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverBandCry!

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familar with what it takes to become a NY resident? How many years do you have to live there and do you have to work/pay taxes? How can I find this info?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

SilverBandCry! said:
Is anyone familar with what it takes to become a NY resident? How many years do you have to live there and do you have to work/pay taxes? How can I find this info?

Thanks

all i know is that at my SUNY downstate interview, they said you only have to live a year (off-campus) to be considered a NY resident and from then on, you qualify for in-state tuition.

GA_MDhopeful said:
all i know is that at my SUNY downstate interview, they said you only have to live a year (off-campus) to be considered a NY resident and from then on, you qualify for in-state tuition.

You have to have lived in NY state (or maintained an address in NY) for 12 months prior to the date you apply for a certificate of residency to be considered a resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that if you establish a permanent residency for 12 months, register to vote and get a driver's license (or an ID) you can qualify for in-state tuition as a NY resident.

I know for sure that you don't need a driver's license (I never changed mine, and I'm considered a resident). I am fairly certain that you only need your permanent residence for 12 months in NY state to qualify... although I had registered to vote in NY when I became a resident (junior year at NYU) so I don't know if that is required.

why the heck do you want to come to NY? Unless you like hell frozen over, go to Texas.

GA_MDhopeful said:

do you have to live off-campus? that doesn't make sense.

newdude said:
do you have to live off-campus? that doesn't make sense.

yea - i know it seems weird. but i asked about this at my interview and they seemed pretty positive that you have to live off-campus in your own apartment/residence....