Becoming a nurse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
O

ordinaryguy

I am confused on the various pathways on becoming a nurse. Some have said it takes only 2 years (at a community college) to obtain a R.N., while others have said it takes 4 years to obtain a R.N.. Someone also told me that getting a bachelor?s degree gives one a higher position (e.g. R.N. II) and higher salary. And also, if one chooses to get a master?s in nursing, they can become a N.P., or nurse practitioner. Is this all correct?

Members don't see this ad.

2 years to be a basic rn. 4 years to be an rn with a bachelor's degree. bachelors allows for management postitions and higher pay although not that much more. and you can get your masters or go to np but bachelors is first.

But then there are also programs that has RN-BSN-MSN... which means that it is a program that admits non-bachelor RN's for Masters training, and you earn the BSN midway. I do think the BSN does make slightly more on average than an ADN (Associate's Degree Nurse), but not much higher... Experience and perhaps longevity are bigger factors...? But either way, ADN and BSN are both RN's -- same certification. A nurse practitioner ranks definitely higher.