becoming a pharm tech before becoming a pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VinceSanity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im a sophomore undergraduate student in college right now trying to become a pharmacist in the future. is it a good thing to become a pharm tech before going to pharmacy school? will it look good on my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not only will it look good (I firmly believe that my experience got me in to my school of choice) but it will also give you a realistic view of what pharmacy entails. There are so many more retail positions than other types of positions available so there is a good chance that is where you would end up. Experience will definitely help you decide if that is the road for you. I would strongly reccommend it!

I have a friend who said she hates being a pharmacy tech at walgreens but still wants to be a pharmacist....I guess she sees what the pharmacist does while she is working and would rather be doing that.

im a sophomore undergraduate student in college right now trying to become a pharmacist in the future. is it a good thing to become a pharm tech before going to pharmacy school? will it look good on my application?

It will allow you to work and experience "pharmacy."

It will look good on your application, but don't expect bonus points for having a tech license.

Pharmacy schools weight experience in pharmacy in considering applicants. There are other ways to get experience if you don't want to be a tech, but if it sounds like fun it will definitely be worth it to you. And it will help you get an intern job when you start school.

Yes it will help, but if you cant get in as a tech at least do some good shadowing. I dont have a tech liscense, but shadowed for over 6 months, once a week usually. Got boring at times because obviously you cant do anything shadowing, but well worth it.