becoming a pharm tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candle786

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for those who were pharm techs before going to pharm school.

If my goal is to go to pharmacy school and I have limited time and money, what would be the best way to become a certified pharmacy technician? I believe there are really expensive and long programs that are supposed to be very in depth and provide you with a lot of training, there are cheaper and shorter programs that teach you the basics of what you need to know, and then there is the option of just studying on your own. Is there really a huge difference between these options, in terms how good of a pharm tech you could be?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm.
The tech's that have gone through the programs are usually more prepared and understand things a lot quicker than those who haven't. But, really, in the end there's not a whole lot of difference. I've had good and bad techs from all different routes to techdom.

I suppose it also depends on where you want to work. If you want to work retail, do it the quickest and cheapest way. If you want to work in a hospital, you will need hands on training for intravenous compounding.

I earned my CPhT before getting into pharmacy school-by about 6 months, I think. Good ol' Wags was paying for it, and at the time it meant a 50-cent raise. I'd been a PT technician for just over a year while I finished my BS in Microbiology.

My RXM gave me a set of two books and told me the exam was in 2 months. I went through each chapter, and paid more attention to all the calculations. At least I had something to do while my ELISA's and gels were running in lab.

I passed with flying colors. But I also tested out of Anatomy and Physiology by reading the textbook over the summer. It all depends on how much of a self-starter you are. I can see where the structure of classes would help some individuals, but I couldn't stand spinning my wheels like that. Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok, i never thought about being a pharm. tech so I have to ask. What are the steps? Is it basically passing a test to be certified? I saw online classes, classes at a nearby school, and etc. Then I hear MNnaloxone reading two books and getting certified in 2 months? Im just a bit confused.

Also, if you are a pharm. tech, is it hard getting PT work at a retail pharmacy?

Originally posted by eddie269
ok, i never thought about being a pharm. tech so I have to ask. What are the steps? Is it basically passing a test to be certified? I saw online classes, classes at a nearby school, and etc. Then I hear MNnaloxone reading two books and getting certified in 2 months? Im just a bit confused.

Also, if you are a pharm. tech, is it hard getting PT work at a retail pharmacy?

There are definitely earlier on threads on this, so check the board history. I was certified as a tech w/o any test or ever setting foot in a pharmacy. Thanks to Keiki, I found out that all you need is a BS in something related to pharmacy (bio, chem, physics) to get certified in CA. I just had to send in my transcript and was certified in 4 wks. You can also be certified in cali w/an aa degree.

Working as a tech was critical experience for me. It didn't help w/my application bc i was already accepted when i started working, but it gave me awesome exposure. I came to respect retail a lot more after working in it. I think the role retail pharmacists play is grossly underestimated particularly in underserved areas (you're the de facto health care provider. They won't pay to see a doctor.)

hehe, it always seems like i dont search on this board but i did and i never found it. but knowing me, i probably just overlooked it.

Hopefully this will clear things up a bit-

To become a CPht, all you need to do is plunk down the cash, and pass the m/c test. To keep your CPht, you need to do CE's every year (like an RPH, but not as many). No classes necessary-but they may help you pass (think of the classes as a Kaplan's course for the MCAT/PCAT/whatever. Not needed, but helpful.)

Now, to become a technician in general (which you need to be before you take the CPht) depends entirely on your state of practice.

For example, I was a tech in MN. To become a tech in MN, you needed to fill out a one page form and send the BOP a $20 check. Wasn't that easy?

Now in ND, the state in which I'll gain my first RPH license, things are a bit rougher. To become a technician, you need to be accepted into the state technical college in Wapheton, and basically get an Associate's Degree in PharmTech, then do 6 months of rotations as a tech. With these qualifications, you then get to fill out the paperwork and send the ND BOP a check to become a tech. There may be additional requirements (CE's?), but I don't have to take the MPJE for a little while yet-ask me in 3 months.

See Tri's post for how he became a tech in CA. Again, that state has a different requirement than the two I'm amiliar with.

To futher illustrate my example, I was a technician in MN for summer break. When I returned to ND to finish my last year of my BS in Microbiology (before getting into Pharmacy school), I tried to get a job as a tech in ND, I was denied because I hadn't graduated from an accredited program.

In conclusion, your state may have certain requirements (including some degree of specific education) before you may become a tech. But to become a CPhT, you need to become a technician, and then simply pass the test.

Clear as mud? LMK if I can be any more help.