becoming a pharmacist after being pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc227

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were pre-med, but decided to go to pharm school would you have to do the six-year program? Has anyone done this before?
Thanks for any responses in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

prob not..it depnds on if you fufilled the pre reqs for pharm school. Most of the pre med and pre pharm pre reqs are the same.. hopefully uo'll only have to do 4 more years.

doc227,

you shouldn't have a problem. I was also pre-med once upon a time and now I am currently applying to pharmacy school. Most of the pre-pharm and pre-med classes overlapped. You might have to take a couple of extra classes depending on the school you want to attend. The only 2 extra classes I had to take was economics and speech. You should be fine.;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a lot of people who were pre-med$ and decided to forgo it for variou$ rea$on$! I wonder what were their main rea$on$? ;)

I have a friend who was premed too. The pharmD program she went to only made her take some stupid speech class as extra. She went to pharmacy school for 4 year, got a pharmD and is now making $95k/year at Walgreen!

And here I am still in med school!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

In many cases the pharmd requirements are more rigid than the pre med requirements, as most med schools only require a few basic lit courses, chem, bio, and physics plus 90 semester hours. At least at ULM, the prepharm requirements were very clearly defined, and there were many more required courses. That being said, someone who has finished premed requirements could likely will have all of the prepahrm classes, or at least be close enough that he/she can finish up prepharm work in a semester or so.