becoming a pharmacist in CA, NY and other 43 states

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakcw

Keton
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

If anyone know about this info please help me
In order to become a pharmacist (1) we must pass NAPLEX AND (2) i think there is state law exam that cover 43 states OR (3) i know i should pass CA law exam if i want to practice pharmacy in CA. OR (4) how about other 8 states that dose not belong to 43 states such as NY, FL etc....

Any info about this???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I thought you also had to work for like 1500 hours to get your license. Are those hours covered by the school's curriculum?

I thought you also had to work for like 1500 hours to get your license. Are those hours covered by the school's curriculum?

While I was in pharm tech. i sew interns from pharm school that they rotate from one hospital to another. Since I am going straight to community pharmacy, Is it possible to just work in community pharmacist and get paid for our intern hours rather than jumping one place to the other???

Members don't see this ad :)
Each state has its own rules on this. My state does not require intern hours for PharmDs.

Each state has its own rules on this. My state does not require intern hours for PharmDs.

Actually Illinois law requires 1 academic quarter of practicing under a registered pharmacist. This is taken care of by your clerkship rotations. They aren't called intern hours, but it is the same concept.

I've gotta be missing something because I don't know what you're asking!!!

I'm a CA pharmacist. If you've gone to a school in the US, you have to provide your evidence of graduation from an accredited school of pharmacy in the US, pass the NAPLEX & pass the CA jurisprudence examination.

If you've been licensed in another state for a year, the intern hours are waived. Otherwise, you have to submit evidence of 1500 hours of experience as an intern. These hours are not included in the academic rotations within a course curriculum & only half can be satisfied by working in a laboratory setting.

If you're a foreign graduate, the requirements are different.

Thats it! I don't know what's required in 43 other states (or 49 others to be perfectly honest!).

delete

Last edited:
Actually Illinois law requires 1 academic quarter of practicing under a registered pharmacist. This is taken care of by your clerkship rotations. They aren't called intern hours, but it is the same concept.

Someone once asked about it, and we were told more or less don't worry about it. That all your clerkship hours will take care of everything.