becoming a psychologist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icebreakers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the process of becoming a psychologist?

Must you get a masters first? then get a Phd?
can you begin with a phd from the begining...out of undergrad and working experience? do you need research to get in?

does all this hold true as well for educational psychology?

Members don't see this ad.

what is the process of becoming a psychologist?

Must you get a masters first? then get a Phd?
can you begin with a phd from the begining...out of undergrad and working experience? do you need research to get in?

does all this hold true as well for educational psychology?

Well, short answers to your questions are these:

1. The process begins in undergrad. Although some people get their advanced degrees without a psych major in undergrad, my personal recommendation is that you major in psychology. Also, as an undergrad, volunteer in order to get clinical experience (e.g. work at a crisis hotline), and sign up for research experience at your university (this is vital if you want a Ph.D.).

2. Some people get their Masters first. You can go straight into a doctoral program from undergrad (it's VERY competitive and sometimes takes a year or two to get in). You do need research to get in (see above).

3. I can't help you with answers about educational psych: I know nothing!

The long answers to your questions can be seen on the thread of "Advice for next year's SDNers" by clicking the link below:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=379768