becoming an orderly/being an orderly??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mozart_fan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:
There are some people who have been an orderly. What did you think of it? Do the other hospital workers (nurses and doctors) see you as an annoyance? Is it normally a paid position? How did you get it. I currently have a job bagging groceries and was thinking about being an orderly.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only speak for the hospital I'm at, but the posted job qualifications are:

1. High School Diploma or GED
2. Completion of Nursing Assistant Course or completion of first semester of an RN/LPN program or 6 months documented experience as an orderly or nurse's aid

Check with the human resources people for job openings.

I have been an orderly for about a year. The only qualifications my hospital required were a CPR cert. I was worried when I started that the staff would get annoyed with my questions when I first started, so I didn't really ask a lot of questions at first. Once they started to know me, I let them know I was pre-Med. Now, I actually get calls on my cell when someone is going to do something cool I haven't seen before.
You really become a part of the OR staff and they depend on you more than think. Don?t get me wrong; it is a mindless job, which can be equated to a gopher position in construction. But overall, it is awesome. You get to see a side of the hospital the doc's don't really see. I think it has made me into great doctor material.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some people who have been an orderly. What did you think of it? Do the other hospital workers (nurses and doctors) see you as an annoyance? Is it normally a paid position? How did you get it. I currently have a job bagging groceries and was thinking about being an orderly.

Walt Whitman was an orderly at NYHospital, and look where he is now: dead.

Hope that Helps.

P 'City nested in bays! my city!' ShankOut

yeah He is famous for being an orderly.... I think he used to do a little bit of writing in his spare time