becoming an orthodontist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hk64

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am D2 student, and i am very interested in orthodontics.

Problem is that I am not sure if I can make into ortho with my current rank. Considering not much grade will change through D3 year (maybe not true). In my school the consensus is that you need to be about top 10 to go to ortho, but I am like top 20.

So, maybe it's little difficult to get accepted to ortho from applying by the end of 3rd year.

However, I heard some people saying that people can come back, after practicing as GP or researching, to apply and get in to ortho program.

I believe most people in ortho programs are the ones who came straight from dental school. How many portion is not those cases, and what additional works of them makes them able to get into ortho later on?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am D2 student, and i am very interested in orthodontics.

Problem is that I am not sure if I can make into ortho with my current rank. Considering not much grade will change through D3 year (maybe not true). In my school the consensus is that you need to be about top 10 to go to ortho, but I am like top 20.

So, maybe it's little difficult to get accepted to ortho from applying by the end of 3rd year.

However, I heard some people saying that people can come back, after practicing as GP or researching, to apply and get in to ortho program.

I believe most people in ortho programs are the ones who came straight from dental school. How many portion is not those cases, and what additional works of them makes them able to get into ortho later on?

Thank you.

1) Apply to as many programs as possible
2) Conduct research and publish something
3) Get good letters from as many people as possible
4) Get that class rank up as much as possible

fingers crossed