Becoming discouraged from TBR passage scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdr8

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have been using TBR to review for the MCAT. I used EK for bio, but TBR for everything else. I went through the Ochem books first and was EXTREMELY discouraged to start off. My scores for the 8 Ochem sections were as follows (6,7,8,9,7,9,8,10). I then went on to doing physics and chemistry. I have been alternating chapters and have gone through the first 3 of each. My scores for the first three GenChem sections are (9,9,9) and physics (8,10,9). I am getting really discouraged as I have gotten only two double digit scores so far, both being 10's. I have been chalking it up to the fact that this is the first time I am being tested on the material and that when I see it again on the AAMC practice tests, my scores will go up. I am scheduled to take the MCAT on May 31st but will have to delay if my practice scores don't end up being any better. Has anyone else had similar experiences using TBR?

Members don't see this ad.

First, never care about ANY scaled scores outside of the practice AAMCs.. good or bad. For non-AAMC stuff, look at raw score as an indicator of how well you did or know something.

Second, even then, it matters very little. What's more important is your ability to learn from the questions you got right AND wrong. Especially early in your prep, your scores are meaningless.

TBR is hard. It's meant to be. It's good because it's hard, specifically if you are shooting for a top score (32+). Your job is to identify weaknesses and eliminate them.. so hell, I'm a big proponent of the lower you start, the easier your job is. It's easier to find the holes in your boat when they are big and obvious than when they are plenty and tiny. Start finding them and plugging.

Reactions: 1 user