1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Bedside ultrasound by hospitalists

Discussion in 'Internal Medicine and IM Subspecialties' started by augmel, Apr 26, 2007.

1. augmel

augmel Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've been talking to my ER friends and they are all saying that an ultrasound machine in the back pocket is going to be standard of care eventually. The critical care forum has a thread about an ultasound course for intensivists. What does everyone think about hospitalists getting proficient at basic ultrasound? I'm doing night float right now and I've had lots of times when I would have loved to be able to quickly r/o something like tamponade in a post-MI patient with hypotension. Or localizing a loculated effusion so I don't have to wait till morning to tap it. Even during the day, it gets old waiting for radiology to do this stuff for me. The radiologists will always be better of course, but it would be pretty cool to do some basic stuff on our own.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

I use Site-Rite a lot for locating fluid pockets, etc. To do this formally you would have to get credentialled with the according rise in risk and malpractice.

4. carrigallen

carrigallen 16th centry dutch painter
    10+ Year Member

I'm a bit confused - is there any direct therapeutic benefit to tapping a loculated pleural effusion at the bedside? Usually you just end up with a trapped lung that fills up again. I can appreciate the diagnostic reasons though.

5. Mumpu

Mumpu Burninator, MD
    5+ Year Member

Loculated effusions get a chest tube.

But even for tapping a plain uncomplicated effusion or ascites, U/S localization can be helpful because the exam is not always accurate.