Beefing Up Med-School App: Paramedic vs M.S. Program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acheja

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new here so I apologize if it has been asked a million times,
I'm a recent grad looking to switch over to the MD route. I've been undecided most of my undergrad. Fortunately I have all my pre-reqs for med school done but GPA is pretty bad. I have over 1000 hours working as a Lifeguard throughout undergrad and then 1000 hours of social work in On-Campus alcohol and tobacco intervention.

I want to know what looks better on a Med School app, working as a Paramedic for a year or two or acing an MS program?
(I'd still have to go through a 4-semester Paramedic program)

Current stats
Cumul. GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.5

I have zero shadowing except for about 30 hours shadowing Physical Therapists. After speaking with them, I've realized that it wouldn't be fulfilling simply working to rehab someone, so I made up my mind to pursue medicine as a career.

Currently volunteering at two different hospitals twice a week in the ED.

Will be taking the MCAT sometime next year in January.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Put the MCAT aside until have a GPA worth applying with
2) paramedic will do nothing for your GPA so put it aside
3) a regular graduate MS will do nothing for you undergrad GPA
4) you need a special masters program (SMP) and do well in that
Does he? It's his cumulative GPA that's low, his sci gpa is decent. Is that a situation were someone needs an SMP? Isn't a 3.5 sci GPA okay with a high MCAT?
:eyebrow:
( I'm just confused, not trying to argue)

1) Put the MCAT aside until have a GPA worth applying with
2) paramedic will do nothing for your GPA so put it aside
3) a regular graduate MS will do nothing for you undergrad GPA
4) you need a special masters program (SMP) and do well in that

A Special Masters Program? So like a masters in something Biomedical related?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will strongly advise the OP that he needs to take a breath and understand this process. I am assuming alot but I have seen many people rush into this without understanding what is needed

I'm in no rush lol.
But is it really feasible to raise my GPA with a special masters? Or is it more to show medical schools that I can handle the rigors of med coursework?

It wont raise your GPA. It show you can handle the rigors of med school. You planning to take MCAT in January is showing a rush!

Oh I didn't realize it was that close. But I want to start studying now and do the masters in Spring 2019. Ideally I want to have at least tried the MCAT before the masters.
Btw does the Masters in Biomedical Sciences at Barry University count as a Special Masters Program?

Thanks so much for your input