Been out of school for 5 years want to pursue dentistry again.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DBS488

Reaction score
Here's my story, I've applied to dental schools in 2012 & 2013 and had multiple interviews both years. My home state is TX. In 2013, I got diagnosed bipolar I and had to give up interviewing and my dreams of becoming a dentist all together.

Since then I've worked many menial jobs and now at a warehouse with health benefits. I manage my illness very well and it hasn't effected my ability to work, socialize, or learn.

Anyways my desire for a career in dentistry has returned. I'm not sure how to go about starting and could use y'all's guidance. I have a BS in biology (cumGPA 3.7 & sciGPA 3.6). My expired DAT is 22AA/24TS/24/PAT/18RC&QR

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Have you checked with schools and a state dental boards to make sure first and foremost that your diagnosis won’t affect you becoming a dentist? Usually if the state board thinks it’s fine then dental schools will be fine with it.

Since you have a great GPA and have done the pre reqs, I don’t think you have to redo any classes since I think it takes 7 years (???) for them to expire.

I would crush the DAT again as soon as possible and make sure your shadowing and volunteering hours are good. (I recommend 300 hrs minimum for both but from what I have seen if you get over 150 for shadowing you should be fine)

Good point, I haven't considered how my diagnosis will affect me regarding state boards. There's hardly any results even with googling.

If dental schools ask I won't be afraid to disclose. There are medical doctors out there with my illness like Mark Vonnegut.

Reactions: 1 user