Been waiting 2 yrs to do this! CHANCES?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdfray

currently at work
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Just took my DAT and feeling confused about my scores.:oops: Was wondering if some veterans here would be able to provide me with the insight I need and want to see if my stats competitive if I apply early (once cycle opens) or if I need to retake b/c it's just not enough. Note: I'm not aiming for any particular schools (don't think I got that option), just any school that would consider me.:scared: Here goes:

BG: Doing an informal post-bach as of now and currently taking classes. Planning to cont. taking upper bio, even after submitting application and got recommended to apply for an adjunct position during the summer/fall.

DAT score:
PAT 21
TS 20
AA 19
(fact that this is not at least 20 worries me..)

Post-bach GPA: 3.9 (taken all prereq. + 4 upper bios) (got A for all except 2 classes where I ended up with a A- and B+ :()
Self calculated GPA (from ADA guideline):
-BCP: 3.8
-Sci. GPA - 3.6
-Cum GPA - 3.4
-Non-Sci GPA - 3.2

EC:
150+ shadowing hours different specialties (ortho, general, perio, ped, endo, etc)
Bio I and Chem I tutor for a year.
Research assistant in microbiology (current) and previously held position as a clinical research assistant for half a year.
Acting as officers in 2 clubs (acting as VP for one of them as of now)
Worked as a TA during the summer for a science high school enrichment program.
Did some volunteer work, but not much (walks, fundraiser, soup kitchen, etc.)
Speak multiple languages (1 self taught throughout the years and 3 based on background)
Played starter position in a varsity team for 4 years in H.S for a spot that require alot of manual dexterity and accuracy. Cont. playing and enter tournament throughout college <-- not sure if this counts.

Are my stats good enough? Is there anything else I can do from now till june that might help me look better? Should I retake my DAT to be competitive? I'm worried b/c my GPA does not look too good with my DAT score (obtained this due to bad time management, and bad standardize test taker). I've worked really hard the last 2 years to try to show adcom. I'm serious about going to dental school and would like to optimize my chances of getting this coming cycle.

I'm going to apply broad and early (once cycle opens) though I don't have a list yet (will be working on this, along with my personal statement, and getting LOR - actually obtaining commitee recommendation and it will be good I think because I have a good relationship with most, if not all the professors I've had). Will provide a list of schools for evaluation once I get the time to do it.
I'm thinking about 15-20 schools, just to hedge my chances since I don't think it's very good which includes the privates and OOS friendly ones.

I'm still very new at this, even though I've been posting on the forum since I started my journey. :scared:

Any insight about anything is appreciated and thank you for reading. Will be posting more the upcoming weeks.

PLEASE BE BRUTALLY HONEST! I NEED ALL THE ADVICE I CAN GET!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey asdfray,

Your numbers look to be around or slightly above the averages for most schools, so in that sense you're looking good! Having said that, if you just took your DAT and the stuff is still fresh in your mind, perhaps a retake wouldn't be completely out of the question. i know there is a 90 day waiting period before you can take it again, but if you're feeling up to it, use those 3 months to brush up on what you feel you did most poorly on and give it a 2nd go. A retake isn't a necessity by any means, but if you improve by 1-2 points in a few sections, it could go some ways in making a difference.

As far as your EC's are concerned, you're looking pretty strong as well. Seems like you've gone about your shadowing really well and those leadership positions don't hurt. Just make sure you have a good rapport with at least one of the doctors who you shadowed for the LOR. The fact that you speak multiple languages is awesome, and I know schools love that, particularly if one of those languages happens to be Spanish :p

I'd say the single most important factor still withstanding that is in your hands with regards to your application is your PS. Read up as much as you can on "how to write a PS" just to get a feel for the length (4500 characters max, spaces included), the content, and the style. But most importantly, take this all into consideration all the while making it your own. Putting your own stamp on the PS is so important imo. So if it comes down to sprinkling some originality in there at the expense of not following some cookie-cutter, generic template, go for it.

Bottom line: if you do apply to 15-20 schools (personally I think you should be fine with 10-15 if you apply smartly), you should have no problem getting in. GL!

You look good on paper. Do well on interviews.

Make sure enough of those 150+ hours of shadowing were with the general dentist. I had some negative feedback because I had a similar number of hours, but with only 25 or so devoted to a general dentist. I don't think it was a huge problem, but why let it be a problem at all?

Good luck, and choose your school carefully (you will have multiple offers).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your Stats are really good. Im sure that you will do fine. Apply in JUNE and 15-20 schools are good.

If anything, go on a missionary trip (dental or non-dental related). It will give you a better outlook on life and more thing to talk about in your interview. If not, volunteer at various places.

Have an average chances of getting a couple interviews but you would have to REALLY and i mean REALLY rock that interview if you want to get in. Your DAT is slightly above average and your gpa is rather average (some school might see it as below average especially your science GPA which is the most important one) Unless you apply to private dental schools, you're in a tough spot my friend.

Scores aight...GPA could be better but u can land interviews

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

wow I thought my DAT scores would hold me back, but according to some of the comments here, my GPA is what's making me less competitive? I've been keeping at 4.0 (except last semester), for over a year and a half and still not good enough? I guess.. I need to keep taking courses even after submitting my application I guess.:(

Right now, I'm still compiling a list of schools to apply to and will post it on this thread later on for evaluation.

Been writing bits and pieces of my personal statement and probably finish after my 2nd midterm (need time to bring up my grade :p) Probably finish by beginning of May.

Thank you for the comments, Much appreciated.
Any more comments is appreciated. :love:

wow I thought my DAT scores would hold me back, but according to some of the comments here, my GPA is what's making me less competitive? I've been keeping at 4.0 (except last semester), for over a year and a half and still not good enough? I guess.. I need to keep taking courses even after submitting my application I guess.:(

Right now, I'm still compiling a list of schools to apply to and will post it on this thread later on for evaluation.

Been writing bits and pieces of my personal statement and probably finish after my 2nd midterm (need time to bring up my grade :p) Probably finish by beginning of May.

Thank you for the comments, Much appreciated.
Any more comments is appreciated. :love:

Don't listen to the people saying your GPA will hold you back. They are flat out wrong for majority of schools, especially when someone stated your science GPA is low...3.6 is high for a sGPA, not low. Your upward trend and good performance in science classes will be enough. That said, be smart with the schools you apply to (ex: don't expect acceptances to the ivies or California schools if you are OOS).

As for your DAT, I think you put yourself in a good position with your score. I would not advise a re-take as your combination of GPA, upward trend, DAT, ECs will land you a couple acceptances assuming your interviews go well.

Don't worry about your numbers, they are fine!

don't listen to the people saying your gpa will hold you back. They are flat out wrong for majority of schools, especially when someone stated your science gpa is low...3.6 is high for a sgpa, not low. Your upward trend and good performance in science classes will be enough. That said, be smart with the schools you apply to (ex: Don't expect acceptances to the ivies or california schools if you are oos).

As for your dat, i think you put yourself in a good position with your score. I would not advise a re-take as your combination of gpa, upward trend, dat, ecs will land you a couple acceptances assuming your interviews go well.

+1

Don't listen to the people saying your GPA will hold you back. They are flat out wrong for majority of schools, especially when someone stated your science GPA is low...3.6 is high for a sGPA, not low. Your upward trend and good performance in science classes will be enough. That said, be smart with the schools you apply to (ex: don't expect acceptances to the ivies or California schools if you are OOS).

As for your DAT, I think you put yourself in a good position with your score. I would not advise a re-take as your combination of GPA, upward trend, DAT, ECs will land you a couple acceptances assuming your interviews go well.

A year and a half is no upward trend

That being said 3.6 is a 3.6 I don't see why u won't land interviews

Apply early and broad should be coo

A year and a half is no upward trend

That being said 3.6 is a 3.6 I don't see why u won't land interviews

Apply early and broad should be coo

?

What is your definition of an upward trend?

45-60 credits of 4.0 sure sounds good to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
An Upward Trend Traditionally would be a bad first year and or second year and then 3 stellar years after that to actually show an upward TREND with a majority of the grades being good.

One good year is just that one good year with a majority of mediocrity that being said the GPAs for asdfray are perfect tho 3.8 BCP 3.6 Science are great so nothing to worry about, im just saying the term upward trend gets thrown around way too loosely

Thanks sac and allday!

I don't know if I have a upward trend, but I'll throw up some more info and let's see if we can clear this up :laugh:

Graduated undergrad 3 years ago, ranging 3.2-3.3 per semester for about 2 years before graduating (freshmen and soph. was 3.0 or lower)... Since I started the post-bach, I ranged 4.0 for 1.5 years until last semester, when I let me grades slip a little and ended with 1 A- for an upper bio class and a B+ for Orgo I. If I kept the 4.0, I would say that it would be an upward trend, but b/c I messed up last semester, idk lol

Here's my opinion:
There is no question the DAT could be better, but it could also be much worse. I got in first try and had an 18 DAT (did really good in sciences and really bad in QR-15 and RC-17). Therefore, if you feel you can do better than go for it. If however there is ANY doubt about doing worse do NOT try this cycle. Bottom line is, the DAT is NOT going to help you, but it is not a death sentence either. If you retake and do worse, you are probably not going to get in this year.
The GPA post-bach looks VERY good and the undergrade GPA looks a bit low. I believe they will put more stock in the most current one, therefore you should be good there.
The EC stuff looks ok. Only thing I would do is find some way to get some more volunteer work if possible. I do not know how much is "not much", but if it is really minimal try and get that up ASAP. I believe that is one of the things all applicants can use to really boost their app, just show you care and want to make a difference.
Besides that, just be professional in EVERY communication with schools and and make sure your personal statement shows the admission committee why they can NOT afford to overlook you. Find something unique to talk about. Make sure to start working on that if you haven't already.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for response Hordel

I actually do have pretty interesting story to talk about and I believe it will hopefully make me stick out in the bunch :oops:..

When I mean some volunteer work, I mean just some! (beside volunteer work at the dental clinic as I'm shadowing and at the clinical center at the cardiovascular department of a medical school). Just did some random volunteer work with my club (walks, soup kitchen) <-- probably not even 50 hours worth...

Any other feedback is much appreciated. Understanding I'm an average applicant and have a chance, makes me feel somewhat at ease. Thank you guys!

Your GPA will prob work well. 40-60 credits of science at 3.9 is nice work. I would try to bump your DAT a point or two. Apply to Temple :p As long as you apply to several schools and interview decent and early you'd have a decent chance of getting in without a DAT retake, but I'd bump it just in case. It is still so competitive to get in - not really worth the risk IMO

quick questions guys!:

- Should I go ahead and apply or retake (but ill be considered late, if it's mid-july)? :rolleyes: Got mostly everything ready.
- How do you use your BCP for choosing schools?
- Would you apply to more schools with my stats? Even if some are out of my league?
- I received a position to teach a lab course of the intro bio course starting the fall - anyway to add that to app. in june or have to wait till academic update or something? <-- noob question. =/

Thanks!

Last edited:
Apply early and I believe you will be just fine!

Just like everyone is telling you, your resume looks impressive a 3.6 science gpa is higher than average for most schools and around the average for a few. Apply early and I think you'll have multiple interviews. I can totally see you getting accepted this cycle and if you don't i'll be shocked. :) good luck

Hey guys,

After some research I believe I have the schools I'm planning to apply to! I know it's a bit much and very costly to do, but I don't want to risk not applying to enough. Here goes:

In state:
-U. Buffalo
-SUNY SB (Probably out of my league; but it IS my instate :p)

Out of state/Private:
-NYU
-Boston U.
-Tufts
-UMDMJ
-Pittsburgh
-Columbia (only live once! =))
-UPenn (probably another long shot)
-Temple (somewhat bad neighborhood, but good clinical and about 50% OOS friendly)
-Maryland
-Michigan
-Detroit Mercy
-VCU
-Louisville
-Case Western (OH)
-Western (CA)
-U. Conn
-Creighton U.
-UNLV
-Roseman
-LECOM

Ones Still Considering:
Midwestern AZ, ASDOH, Midwestern IL - Missing 1 prereq. and not sure if I'm taking it.

As you can, I'm applying very broadly and to mostly private schools..
Not sure I'm making my selections correctly but if there's any school you think I should add/remove, please let me know.:thumbup:

Last edited:
i hate to add to the list but dont forget about the new school this year, New England School of Dental Medicine (this may not be the exact name). they are going to favor students from new england and NY is not in that area, but i have a feeling they will matriculate many oos this first year.

i would keep UDM, i hear they are increasing their class size and your bcp is great

ASDOH - do you have at least 250 vol hours with 500 preferred? above you said you only had limited volunteering

i like your list as a ny res, UNLV is the only one i may look twice at.

For OOS I think you are on the right track, at least I hope you are since I am targeting most of the same schools!

What's considered early?! I still haven't esubmitted yet! AHH!

Will do that this coming weekend or def. beginning of next week. Am I no longer considered early if I don't make it by first batch?