Beer money for med students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically as the title says, now that we are medical students what can we do in our time off (holidays) to earn a bit of money which we previously couldn't do as a pre-med? I know the obvious one of tutoring but i've heard of the idea of attending meetings etc with a company and other such things like being present in a retirement home however I assume these jobs only apply once you've graduated?

I want to start earning a bit so I can save up and travel in my holidays :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Basically as the title says, now that we are medical students what can we do in our time off (holidays) to earn a bit of money which we previously couldn't do as a pre-med? I know the obvious one of tutoring but i've heard of the idea of attending meetings etc with a company and other such things like being present in a retirement home however I assume these jobs only apply once you've graduated?

MCAT tutoring is the only thing to think of.

Reactions: 1 users
Does your school have work-study jobs? Mine does and they're pretty easy to slot around classes and studying.

Members don't see this ad :)

Plasma donor
Sperm donor (in all seriousness)

Reactions: 3 users

My understanding is that this can be a hard gig to land, as the competition is very stiff.

Edit: in seriousness, they dig pretty deep into your background to make sure that your genetic material is desirable from what I've heard.

Reactions: 13 users
My understanding is that this can be a hard gig to land, as the competition is very stiff.

Edit: in seriousness, they dig pretty deep into your background to make sure that your genetic material is desirable from what I've heard.
Are you trying to get a rise out of some people?

Reactions: 14 users

I have been a donor before (I actually got the idea from @Goro a couple years ago). It takes about 2 months to go through the application process. You usually have to submit a couple of samples to show that you have a high count/good swimmers. Some people say that only 10% of people pass this part, although I think this is a little overblown. After you pass, you do a genetic test. As long as you don't have any crazy genetic diseases, you pass this as well. Then random **** like describing your personality, etc.

I would donate 6-8 times per month and make about ~100-140 a pop (you get paid 2x for graduate degree). It was awesome. I would continue doing it but the city I moved to does not have a center.

No better way to start your day then rolling to the bank, hanging with your friend Jill for 10 minutes, and making 100 bucks all before work even started.

Reactions: 5 users
Are you trying to get a rise out of some people?

Just warning that the process might be longer than expected. I have vast deference for sperm that can make the cut, though.

Reactions: 7 users
I have been a donor before (I actually got the idea from @Goro a couple years ago). It takes about 2 months to go through the application process. You usually have to submit a couple of samples to show that you have a high count/good swimmers. Some people say that only 10% of people pass this part, although I think this is a little overblown. After you pass, you do a genetic test. As long as you don't have any crazy genetic diseases, you pass this as well. Then random **** like describing your personality, etc.

I would donate 6-8 times per month and make about ~100-140 a pop (you get paid 2x for graduate degree). It was awesome. I would continue doing it but the city I moved to does not have a center.

No better way to start your day then rolling to the bank, hanging with your friend Jill for 10 minutes, and making 100 bucks all before work even started.

I would seriously consider doing this during residency. I pop at least one a day after every workout anyway. Might as well make a few quick bucks from it w/ my doctorate degree by then.

I would seriously consider doing this during residency. I pop at least one a day after every workout anyway. Might as well make a few quick bucks from it w/ my doctorate degree by then.

You would currently qualify for the "graduate degree" since you are pursuing an MD. I was actually able to let them classify me under this even though I was not yet in Medical school.

I would definitely do it during Med school if you have a site by you (I can give center I used via PM). It would probably be helpful in residency to get some extra cash, but at that point in my life I'm planning on meeting a couple nurses named Jill instead of the ol' trusty Jill.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait you made $600/month rubbing a couple out?!

You would currently qualify for the "graduate degree" since you are pursuing an MD. I was actually able to let them classify me under this even though I was not yet in Medical school.

I would definitely do it during Med school if you have a site by you (I can give center I used via PM). It would probably be helpful in residency to get some extra cash, but at that point in my life I'm planning on meeting a couple nurses named Jill instead of the ol' trusty Jill.
What if you run into someone one day that looks like you...and then you realize it's your own?

Wait you made $600/month rubbing a couple out?!

Yeah usually more than that, quite a nice second job. Didn’t have a girlfriend at the time so figured I might as well be resourceful of my seed and make some extra cash

What if you run into someone one day that looks like you...and then you realize it's your own?

The world is a better place with more Frogger’s. Evolutionarily I was just doing what we are supposed to do, spread as much seed and produce as much offspring as possible.

Reactions: 4 users
The world is a better place with more Frogger’s. Evolutionarily I was just doing what we are supposed to do, spread as much seed and produce as much offspring as possible.
I love it

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah usually more than that, quite a nice second job. Didn’t have a girlfriend at the time so figured I might as well be resourceful of my seed and make some extra cash

Wow. I was a little skeptical but thats some serious scratch.

Update: Was denied :arghh:

Last edited:
Plasma donor
Be careful these days. Many states are making it a lot more difficult to remain anonymous while donating sperm. The way trends are going, odds are 20 years from now little Jimmy is going to look you up and want to start a relationship.

Sperm Donor= only tall white college educated heterosexual males with preferably colored eyes need apply

#srs#notsrs

Good job in term of increasing the average population IQ!

I did software consulting ($50/hour) for all but 3rd year and all but the end of 4th year. Only did about 10 hours a month, but enough for rent/utilities/beer. Not an easy gig to land for most people, but you could check out if there are any software (in particular medical software) outfits in your area and see if they need any help with part time testing/qa or subject-matter experts.

I made pretty good money teaching a couple of MCAT courses (a couple of grand over a few months); I enjoyed it and it didn’t require too much time.

Beyond that I’m not sure there’s much you can do that would get you in the realm of “pretty good money” - at least nothing that’s ready to go out of the box.

I made pretty good money teaching a couple of MCAT courses (a couple of grand over a few months); I enjoyed it and it didn’t require too much time.

Beyond that I’m not sure there’s much you can do that would get you in the realm of “pretty good money” - at least nothing that’s ready to go out of the box.

Yeah tutoring is all i've been looking into, mainly high school students, uni students and even nursing students.

And to think of all the people doing it for free

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah tutoring is all i've been looking into, mainly high school students, uni students and even nursing students.
Do you know Mandarin or cantonese ? Or do you tutor in English ?

Do you know Mandarin or cantonese ? Or do you tutor in English ?

haha my Chinese is no way near at that level, i'm talking about when I go home in the holidays (we get long breaks). I tutor for example high school biology etc or pickup any university level tutoring I can e.g physiology or whatever.

This can be very lucrative if you get a friend group of 3-4 to tutor can earn say $80/hr or even more depending on what you charge.

If I were to teach english here yes it's insane money possibly $50/hr for doing nothing but if I get caught I could be thrown out of the country.

Good job in term of increasing the average population IQ!
it is our duty to increase the average population IQ --- I may have to look into this sperm donor position

it is our duty to increase the average population IQ --- I may have to look into this sperm donor position

More mini jcorpsmanMDs running around with those GI Joe gene will decrease the snowflake level of this country, which might actually be a good thing.