Before applying to Dental School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chuggchug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it helpful to be a certified dental hygienist before beginning dental school? does it help with admissions or make me competitive then other applicants? also, does any one know if it would make the first couple years of dental school easier? Just wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I sincerely believe using RDH (reg. dent. hyg.) to "pad" your resume is a bad choice. RDH is a career. A position held in great respect in the dental community and they are greatly needed. If you have absolutely no intention on being a RDH, then it truly shows your hidden agenda! Now if you've been a RDH for a couple of years and you find yourself drawn to the priviledges of a dentist-----that is a whole 'nother story.

The reason for the silence you are getting from the dental schools is obvious. They are seeking someone who has a passion for dentistry. One might think becoming a RDH is showing your passion----that is true if you intend I being a RDH for a while. Unfortunately, it doesn't demonstrate this if you intend on becoming a dentist with no desire for being a RDH. That simply shows immaturity and possibly a lack of true direction. Several individuals will question your motives. The interview could be brutal. Some question could be: Why did you get a RDH degree? Did you ever plan on being a RDH? Why aren't you a practicing RDH? Do you not respect to field? ETC...

The schooling you receive isn't going to be more beneficial than your undergrad pre-reqs. Especially if you don't intend on practicing as a RDH. Many dental schools don't accept RDH courses (bio. chem., physio, micro.) as equivalent to 4-year college "intense" courses---therefore, I doubt they going to help you in your first 2 years of dental school. Now the manual dexterity and procedures learned in RDH curriculum would be beneficial----but once again we are back to my original opinion.

If you are looking for experience then try volunteering, or possibly becoming a dental assistant. There are several ways to gain insight and advantages in dentistry without jeapordizing your motives or character. If you are looking for help with manual dexterity----pick-up a hobby like modeling (cars or airplanes). If you truly want to set yourself apart from others----start preparing for the DAT and score 22+/22+. By doing that you're a shoe-in for an interview, if not enrollment. And if you do that well on your DAT----then you should be adequately, if not extremely, prepared for your first 2 years of dental school.

Best wishes,
R.R.B

i agree with dr2b but if you are currently a hygenist the skills will surely help in your clinical years. although you may become bored when you are essentially repeating coures that you already took during your hygenist training.

Dr2B, that was an interesting read.... Thanx for sharing that :D