Before I apply to several dental schools, I would like to know the answer to these questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RuffDay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to apply to several dental schools this year. I would like to know these questions before applying, so I can have an idea how long it will take me to complete my application (primary, secondaries). I also would like to know the process of interview and obtaining in-state tuition.

First question is about how many OOS friendly school requires an essay for their secondaries? I know some schools are just questionnaires while others are a one-page essay.

Second question is which school requires an essay during the interview process?

Lastly, I know that some OOS schools allow you to pay in-state tuition after first year of dental school. Can you also get in-state tuition to most schools if you purchase a condo before starting dental school?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am getting ready to apply to several dental schools this year. I would like to know these questions before applying, so I can have an idea how long it will take me to complete my application (primary, secondaries). I also would like to know the process of interview and obtaining in-state tuition.

First question is about how many OOS friendly school requires an essay for their secondaries? I know some schools are just questionnaires while others are a one-page essay.

Second question is which school requires an essay during the interview process?

Lastly, I know that some OOS schools allow you to pay in-state tuition after first year of dental school. Can you also get in-state tuition to most schools if you purchase a condo before starting dental school?

Thank you in advance!

i am assuming you are asking about OOS friendly state schools since you ask about in state tuition...

1. i dont think a single person could answer your first question unless there is a list that compiles this..i could tell you that ucsf, u of maryland and vcu have secondaries or preinterview questions requiring short essays and stony brook did not have a secondary. those were the only state schools i applied to and fortunately got interviews/acceptances for.
2. ucsf had a essay requirement at the end of the interview day
3. changing your status to in-state is dependent on the state residency requirements..so it's difficult to answer without knowing what school you are referring to.

are there specific state schools you are looking at? it'll probably be easier for people to answer your questions if you list specific schools.

Plan on spending 2-3 weeks writing essays after you submit your application. The good news is that you can use similar essays at most schools so you don't have to re-write everything. Every school I spoke with said that once you're accepted for OOS then you're stuck with it. Since they make more tuition money from OOS students, they don't want everybody switching over to IS tuition after the first year. Most schools say that you're there as a student versus being a resident, so they won't let you switch state residency. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Most states require you to live there for a year before getting residency. As far as dental schools, most will require you to remain a non resident for tuition purposes. However, there are a few that are not that way. Ohio sate let's you get in state tuition in your first your if your wife gets a job a month before school starts. Otherwise you get in state after your first year. Unlv let's you get in state after first year. I believe south Carolina is the same way but they don't take money OOS students. Ohio state and unlv are your best bet for state schools. Case western makes you write an essay at the interview but it is easy.

Thank you everyone for the prompt responses. I am looking into applying to several out of state schools, as I am a Texas resident. I am hoping to get into Texas, but my statistics is below average for all three Texas schools unfortunately. I will also be a reapplicant, and I would want to definitely maximize my chances of getting into any dental school at this point.

It's fairly easy to get in-state at UConn and UCSF after one year.